1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

The Leeds squad fly out to Germany later today continuing their pre season tour.

They will however be leaving behind Diagouraga and Irwin who have both been released by the club.

Their places on the plane will be taken by Saiz and Alioski after both players signed four year contracts at the club.

A lot has been written already about Saiz, BUT Alioski is also held in the highest of regards.

It may have slipped under the radar, but Leeds also completed the signing of Alex Machuca yesterday. The 19 year old winger / attacking midfielder has signed from Rayo Vallecano will go straight into our youth system.

Its good to see TC investing in stars of the future.

Surely, what we need to see now is some strengthening in our defence!

Is Cooper good enough to start alongside Jansson?

Who should play right back?

Anita, Berardi or Ayling

As it stands would you rather see Felix or Green in goal?

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland and all. No doubt there will be defenders lined up. Rad will hardly stop the rebuilding now three quarters done

ellandback likes this.
  3. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. Pity Diagouraga has gone. But we move on.

Ayling to start at RB & Beradi at LB. lets see what Anita can do

4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, I didn't think of that <doh>

Do you think Cooper is good enough?

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Boggers, Alioski has played left back a lot. Being a pacy winger, perhaps TC wants to use him as a wing back?

6. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

I agree Eire....:emoticon-0148-yes:

A bit surprised we haven't brought anyone in yet, maybe TC thinks we have ample back up, but where?

Wouldn't Denton be on his latter end of a full recovery. That leaves Bellusci, O'Connor and Cooper; so what will happen during first 2 games of season if no defenders come in.

At this stage can't see Ayling or Berardi being replaced, which leaves the CB's positions till Jansson comes back from suspension....:emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Cooper is good enough to compete for the 2nd CB slot. But we really need a 2nd CB to partner Pontus

8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning LL

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

I'm over the moon with preseason so far and not forgetting we are a club that owns its own ground now but something Josh wrote in another thread touched a nerve with me, are we getting ahead of ourselves?

It is all unproven so far, these signings might turn out to be another Barrow, Grimes and Adryan...

I don't believe TC is having much of a say in who we bring in Elland, it's the director of football and Radz bringing them in.

I think it's clear he has been told Bellusci has to go, good or bad or indifferent TC is here to coach and pick a starting 11 from what is laid in front of him. Yes he might go to the director and say we need a CB he might even be listened to if he has a name or two but he isn't having the final say.

This is why Monk left, he wanted to bring in his names, his selections, he didn't want to work with a director. I'm hoping it all works out, on paper some of the signings sound a bit special, I just hope TC has enough time to work out the right combo, the right formation and the right positions for these players.

That is where we might come a little unstuck, a player is brought in and TC has to work out exactly who he is better than and where he fits in. Compare this to a more conventional approach where a proper manager not a coach knows exactly what 2-3 positions need improving and he goes out and finds the right one.

Take Alioski, let's assume the director of football was responsible, now TC has to see if he fits into the team as a LB or Attacking midfield player. Personally I believe he is an out and out winger.

I'm hoping for an exciting time ahead but I have my proceed with caution hat on.

11. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Agree with above, I also think TC quite liked the look of Bellusci as can see no other reason to include him in the friendly, it would have been just a waste of a place that someone else could have used.

Good morning.......

ristac and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  12. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Morning Ristac and all. Sensible posts from you and Josh but I can't help thinking we will be better than last year and a bit easier on the eye.

Not sure why people still think we need a left back, Berardi, Denton, Anita and Alioski all have that covered. For me, one or two really good additions at Centre Back would make us look really strong. If we do that I think Phillips, Bridcutt, Doukarra and Hernandez will all struggle for game time which is a positive because it suggests a much stronger squad all round.

My only concern is there are quite a few teams spending big this year and fear we missed a real opportunity last season because this one could be really tough.

Whitejock, FORZA LEEDS and Jammy 07 like this.
  13. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

Morning all. We are all full of expectation for the new season, but we should realise we will not become Barcelona overnight. I think we have got a good coach and seem to have signed some talent, but a strong team needs time to gel. We should have an idea how good we are after about four league games. There seems to be little doubt we are heading in the right direction.

FORZA LEEDS and LeedsLover like this.
  14. LeedsLover

Hey'up Ell, how's things with you?

15. Eireleeds1

There are but the big question is who is spending wisely including us of course. Examples, Villa paying Terry a colossal wage, approx three players wages to be exact. An old man and a huge gamble. Sunderland have signed McGeady on a big wage. Over rated throughout his career and no end ball whatsoever. So on paper, these look like big name signings whereas in reality, theyre unlikely to improve a team. Ours signings are little different except theyre younger. Unfortunately none of them know anything about the English game.Our coach doesnt either so Im not sure what advice he can give. We can but hope some or most of them will be a success

16. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Evening - the squad is about the same as last year, more or less, we have some interesting additions and when we get Bartley Back all will be good. Well I do fcuking hope so :emoticon-0148-yes:

17. LeedsLover

I watched Alioski a lot on youtube, he initially plays right wing, but seems he can play either side as he can use both feet when crossing and scoring. He has a lot of speed and ventures towards the D quite a bit, has a short shot and a good long shot, is a confident penalty taker and scores goals, at this stage looks like being close to an all round player.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

18. Eireleeds1

Ive a sneaky feeling we will get Bartley back but on a season long loan again. If so, that would be unlikely until towards end of August imo

19. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

There's lots of positivity about the place and that's great. But yes, there's a lot of kids in the sweety shop stuff going on. Cautious optimism is the way in my view.

I'm optimistic about the club longer term with rad. Short term is very much wait and see. He seems a shrewd businessman but he's inexperienced in football and has taken a major punt with TC and orta. A lot of 4 year deals for unproven foreigners? Saiz and alioski have each had 1 good season in their respective leagues. Could be we're getting them on the up, could be everything fell into place in a league that let them showcase.

People say clubs were after them, journo's rate them etc. If big clubs were after them they'd have signed them... and look at the write-ups pedraza had? The Italian journo telling us that bianchi was a guaranteed success. Adryan the new zico. Etc.

Inspired or foolhardy? Ask me at Christmas. If rad has made a mistake I think/hope he'll learn. Like I said long term optimistic short term 50:50.

Whitejock, ellandback, ristac and 6 others like this.
  20. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Agree I believe he is in the Swansea squad going to the USA??? for preseason matches