1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

Sunderland and Boro are both keeping a very close eye on Rob Green.

The 37 year old shot stopper obviously offers a wealth of experience, and produced some outstanding performances in the second half of the season, but a year older, will he be able to keep it going?

Should we also sell to our direct competition?

Still no defining news on the Samu Saiz transfer saga, though he 'liked' a post on instagram indicating that he was going to Leeds.

It seems we are trying to sign Readings Chris Gunter for 1m. Seems very cheap if you ask me.

The 27 year old right back would certainly be a good addition to the squad. Would this mean that TC sees Ayling as more of a centre back?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

**** stopper!!!!

BillysStatue and MIGHTY like this.
  3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Oooooppppssss...

Cheers One Leeds. Morning btw <ok>

4. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

G'Day

Well Rob should stay and we should get the f..! on signing the players we need

Ok it's raining and it's not too warm for here so I'm grumpy...

Where is Gloria by the way

I've even had to light a fire <steam><steam>

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all, news thin on the ground today but we do know a lot is happening in the background. Samu should be a done deal by Monday as he's in Miami on holiday.

Be interested to see Tommy's plan with recruitment as Coyle going out on loan means right now we have Ayling, Berardi, Cooper, Pontus as starters but a player like Gunter fits into right back but we have a right back starter with Berardi. Yes Berardi can play left back too. We know Taylor needs replacing & Bartley too, so we need quality to come in at the back still.

We have irons in the fire for the middle with Samu and Klich filling a berth but need more and especially we need more up front unless Tommy sees a different plan to 4-5-1 and uses Roofe or Antonnson as strikers, but still prefer the Macedonian option if we get him, but it seems he is being tempted by Champions League footy.

Great to see we have signed a dozen youngsters on pro forms this week too

Farsleyexile and Eric Le Merde like this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Will be interesting to see how many new faces we’ll have at Club by end of transfer window. Interesting to see Docs comment re a dozen youngsters signing pro deals

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Surely a couple
    Of gems there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

difficult situation with green. He's at the end of his career and wants to play, plenty are interested in him

From the clubs perspective, they need to sign for the future and want competition.

The vultures are hovering, I think he'll likely go... which then puts a question mark on the bpf loan... and there are always clubs watching his situation

Squad strengthening can have collateral sometimes.

10. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

morning all ... well, the one thing about the new Leeds is that we only find out about signings when they're done ... Felix said he had been in contact with Leeds for over a month before he signed, yet nobody knew ... this is the right way to go, although for us it means less to chew on in terms of talking points

Coyle's loan is a sure sign that there will be more defensive signings coming ... good to see as well that Coyle is signed up for three years ... under Cellino he would have been sold to Fleetwood for £200k

I can't remember when last we signed up 12 academy lads in one go ... we used to sign 3 or 4 at the end of a season, so this shows intent to make academy funds available so that we can have a proper look at their development ... previous owners were all too happy to release youngsters because of low academy budgets, and look at how Cairney for example came back to haunt us last season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Le Merde likes this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Silvestri or Greene will be going but I suspect it will be the Italian. BPF is a great move especially as we signed him on a new contract today as he is the future. We still have Turnbull dont we? plus we now have a new goalkeeping coach?

2 weeks ago we heard rumors of center halves, defenders, wingers & strikers who were all on our shopping list. we signed one then a few days later we signed another but then it went quiet. Who's to say those deals are all dead maybe we are just more discreet these days and Radz has already said be patient. I think we can say there will be at least 5 more signings soon

Oh and the dog botherers up the road have broken their transfer record 3 times in 3 days so relegation laid on for them

12. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Thought I heard Turnbull had been released but might be wrong.

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Correct. Was released at the end of last season.

Currently without a club I believe...

14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning (just) all

I read a couple of days ago that the story stating Samu by Monday was garbage as he was away on holiday in Miami and will look to sort out his future when he returns which is at least another wekk away?

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ristac Phil Hay said this morning that Samu returns from Miami on Sunday

16. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

if you are lucky there could be a LB 2 CBs and a striker in there save you forking out tons of dosh for new ones <ok>
    Didn't Cellino do the same thing <whistle>

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Hey Mighty who's this Fleetwood player that Leeds have apparently been chasing but you lot beat us to him? if this was real sureley we would have done the deal as part of Lewie Coyles loan deal. So you have him

18. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,

What is it with us signing RBs? Same last close season too. We've got 2 excellent RBs atm, and I don't use the term lightly. We also have Coyle, who is our future, as he's presently pretty damn good, and will no doubt flourish with regular football at Fleetwood. So we're well set up for that position, as we were last year, and yet these rumours persist. So if true, does this indicate that Ayling will switch to CB? I think it's unlikely. History tells us that such switches take place when a full back's legs go. Hopefully that's a few years away. I'm also not convinced that Ayling is the CB for us. He might be, but so far he's 'done ok' by filling in on occasion. I think we should be looking for better.

I'm quite happy with the way recruitment is going this year, but I just don't understand why we can all identify CB as the most critical position to strengthen, and yet nothing has happened on that front. Makes me nervous. Very nervous. Any signing from now on, IMO, is either a second choice because the first choice is not longer available, or is a complex deal with any number of variables that could see it fall through at the last minute. I cannot think of any other valid reason the delay, and unfortunately, our most critical strengthening is subject to this assessment. As time progresses, my nervousness is worryingly increasing.

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

WJ I seem to remember a couple of weeks ago when there was a report about Pontus's mate being made available, links to Leeds etc, then poo pooed by him. The club commented that this position was critical but we will only go for players who are available & fit our model? So I think its on the radar but as everything seems to be top secret these days ....

20. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

But that's the point I'm trying to make. We're better organised now, & I'm absolutely convinced that we had a shopping list sorted early.

But .... no CB as yet, so my assumption is that we're either on to second (or third <yikes>) choices, or there are complications in signing our first choices, which makes such a signing become riskier as each day passes.