1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I thought the whole idea of ffp was clubs couldnt spend more on wages than turnover anymore? Am I hallucinating or does that chart mean two thirds of the championship clubs qualify for transfer embargos

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Eire you are correct mate

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

You can see we were really bottom of the wage league so bang for buck was massive, but that lack of investment has seen us spend a dozen years down here. The parachute payments mean even if Huddersfield come down this season they still pick up £135m then 4 seasons of over £20m. Its a fkg joke

We need investment or we just have to accept we will be a championship side, but the championship is fast becoming Premier League 2. A bunch of clubs who invested, got promoted relegated but now have unfair parachute payments keeping them ahead in player investment. Yes we can all say Bolton, Blackpool, Wigan, Wolves etc but Villa, Birmingham, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, Sunserland, Cardiff, Reading ....

4. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Things you never thought you would read.

Irishshako, Doc and 2020VisionofLeeds like this.
  5. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Doc that table you quote is figs for 2015-16 and is wages as % of turnover not absolute wage bill...but using it as an example, hudds turnover 11m so wages as %turnover fig would mean a wage bill of c£12m

Leeds turnover was 30m wages as % of turnover is c£18m

We're not bottom of the wage league, we bottom of wages as % of turnover. In isolation that looks like we won't invest, reality is we're still making an operating loss because of debts loans and assorted Cellino court cases.

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  6. Chippy / Glory

Making an operating loss because of the management cost Cellino and now this new bloke are putting on the club to filter money into their wallets. Cellino did it on a scale Bates could only dream of!

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Milky yeah I know the recent wage bill is close to £15m and sales a s% of turnover is massive, way ahead of last seasons table. The crux of it all is level of investment and we are very far down the table. Sunderland will have circa £142m in premier league payments including parachute payments for being shyte. On top of that they just sold Jordan Pickford for £30m so you can guarantee they will be going for it this year. Yes we can hope Midds are going to be shyte under Monk but the present squad plus a few additions he brings in means they will be going for it too, with there £135m. Villa, Birmingham, Derby, Forest, Cardiff and the rest of the chasers including Leeds who will find it tough without having either a good manager or plenty of cash

8. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

yep no arguments there Doc.

Glory, quite. Bates did teach them what they needed to know though in the 'I don't take a wage', it's all altruism' model of exorbitant loans and over-priced contracts to your other firms.

9. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Am I the only one to question why Radz didn't invoke Monk's one year option? Why accede to the agent's request? He'd obviously been tapped up (although denies it), so why not get some easy compen & cause Monk some anguish? It might even have royally fcuked him up & prevented him getting the job. I really don't understand why he did it & can see no logical answer other than naivety.

FORZA LEEDS and LeedsinYork like this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Just listened to an audio interview with Chris Kamara where he was talking about Bradford City but ghen got into his other fav club Leeds Utd. I quote: what happened to Gary Monk was disgusting. He was on his way to taking them back to the Prem but instead a new owner comes in & invoked a 1 year extension rather than say well done Gary will you sign a new 3 year contract. Why did he have to have another year to prove himself, stupid, stupid stupid. So does Kammy know the facts or extrapolating what hes heard and what he thinks he knows?

We do seem to have been caught flat footed though dont we

11. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'd say Cammy has less clue than the rest of us. The one year extension was NOT invoked!

I'm just wondering why an opportunity to fcuk up a tapped-up Monk and get some compen was not taken advantage of.

The bottom line with Monk is that he won nothing, so should be offered no reward. I'm pretty sure if he wanted to stay & required a 3 year deal, his agent would have been right on to it at the height of his achievement. That's his job. But no. Nada. No approach made. I think he was only going to stay if he go us over the line. Everything points to him planning to leave. I agree it's speculation, but neither side seems to have taken predictable action. It's most confusing.

BillysStatue likes this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe had Monk been offered a three year contract and had we no intention of signing a director of football Monk would have stayed.

Maybe we want to pile the blame on Monk being greedy and tapped up but I don't see it that way, Monk wants to manage the club, have a say on who we sign and employ his own coaches.

The director of football appointment was solely to blame for Monk leaving, I personally have no doubt about that.

Now, it doesn't bother me that Monk has left as I wasn't a fan of his. What does bother me is we rush out and spend £2m on Sacko who wasn't really impressive yet we can't or haven't signed arguably the best player last year Bartley.

Now Monk is in his new job and I wouldn't mind putting money on Bartley being his number one target.

I was patient up until last Friday, interviews were taking place last week, we have 4 on the short list, we're into midweek now and still no appointment. It's all well and good saying Rads is taking his time, the truth is more likely to be 1st 2nd and 3rd choices also not being happy with a director of football.

We're short in defence, we're short in attack, we haven't got a coach or preseason arranged, chippy is right in this is no longer looking okay.

13. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

must be Leeds cos its a heavy shirt <whistle>

BillysStatue and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  14. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

At least we can rule out Ranieri & Stockdale has signed for Birmingham on a free. I wouldn't have minded taking him, though appreciate it's probably not the priority position.

15. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Stickdale was a ridiculous miss imo. A Leeds fan as was all his family and a great keeper. Only cost was wages and we'd surely have been able to compete with Birmingham. But without a manager who's to decide what position is a priority <doh>

davy, Irishshako and ristac like this.
  16. Chippy / Glory

It never looked ok.

17. Normanbitmyleg70

Normanbitmyleg70 Well-Known Member

Just can't understand why we have to drag our heels in these situations. Ranieri out of the running now he has gone all continental at Nantes.

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They are all turning us down,they don't want a director of football picking who we sign. We're obviously after a coach not a manager.

Typical really, Cellino finally realised "let the man in charge sign his own players" and after the best season in yonks Radz decides to go back to Salerno mark 2

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  19. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

The delay is nothing to do with people not liking a dof. Rumours are its to do with paying compo to another club for their manager. They want more than Radz wants to pay. If it's not resolved Radz will go for his second choice. ITKers say we will have a coach announced by the weekend. Oh and we do have a pre season arranged but a change had to be made hence the delay.

20. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

Ranieri was never in the running.