1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Could Mighty be right about Ranieri (again)??? NB. Some of our younger readers were not alive last time he was right!!!

upload_2017-6-7_7-50-6.png

If Ranieri is about to take the hot seat at ER, what would Rad have offered the 65 year old?

Surely he would not be short of offers!!!

Is this just more speculation, or is there some truth in it?

All we know for certain is that Rad is interviewing candidates this week!!!

Who would you say was our greatest centre half of all time, and why?

Rio Ferdinand

Norman Hunter

Lucas Radebe

Jack Charlton

Jonathan Woodgate

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Jack Charlton for me as he was Irish <whistle><whistle><whistle> After rads statement yesterday, I've no interest in the bookies odds. They're only interviewing this week and likely haven't anyone definite decided on themselves. Won't be too long hopefully

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire. Ranieri would certainly be a big feather in our cap tho....

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  4. Eireleeds1

Agreed and would show huge intent. However, plenty of time to get excited if that happens <ok>

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Morning all,

I think you've got a wee omission in your greatest CB list - John Charles. Never watched him myself, but anyone I've spoken to who has, rates him as our greatest CB AND CF ever. So he's my choice, based on the opinions of so many. :D

I must confess I'm struggling to select a winner from the list you do provide. Toughie. I could only suggest that Woodgate & plug weren't here long enough to be considered anywhere near our greatest. They're certainly not Leeds legends. Different arguments for each of the other 3 legends. I look forward to reading the comments.

ellandback likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bookies odds all over the place but to put Jaap Stam in as 2nd fav is a joke. Tinkerman Ranieri would get a job in the prem or anywhere else in Europe so why would he come to Leeds unless given a war chest. If he is it means we are really going for it, but doubt it. Radz said yesterday interviews taking place all week and for me it will be a coach who has experience of winning promotions, preferably from this league to the prem, and someone who has worked under a DoF. Otherwise a waste of money and time. For example if its Pearson he would need to accept he has nothing to do with buying and selling players, just coach and pick the team. Mick the same so I cant see it.

Woodgate, Ferdinand then Charlton for me. If Woody had stayed fit he would have played more games for England than Rio. Dont forget Gordon McQueen by the way. Hunter was left side midfield or back in the day a left half

ellandback likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good shout from WJ about John Charles too, as peeps forget he played CH a lot

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Pardew ticks all the boxes I'm afraid. Not for me, but when you know it needs to be a coach who has worked under a DoF and someone who has experience of getting promotion from Championship .... not many UK based is there

hemase likes this.
  9. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

John Charles was not only our greatest centre halfs he was one of the worlds best and it was a toss up as to wether it was his best position.

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, I've been patient with the coach approach but it's running thin now.

There are some decent ones out there without a job at present, we need to get the first choice in pretty swiftly.

We already had Monk in place this time last year.

ellandback likes this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ristac the pre season schedule will be published this week, we have a DoF who will be looking at possible targets so I think everything in place ready for when the new guys arrives. More often than not we have a manager but no behind the scenes management, but thats changed thank god. Derby have already started by signing Curtis Davies from Hull City

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning WJ, blimey, I thought John Charles was only a centre forward!!! <yikes>

Whitejock likes this.
  13. patb

patb Well-Known Member

Hunter was signed by Revie With the words I will make you the best centre half in the world.

14. Eireleeds1

Maybe for once, were not looking at a currently unemployed manager, hence the delay Ristac

ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well he didnt did he, but he did make the best left half in the world and if it were not for Bobby Moore would have had many more caps

patb likes this.
  16. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Those bookie charts mean FA all geared up to make money once a favourite has clocked up enough dosh they move in a new one and so on and so forth
    Then they hope for a Hockaday to come in and they scoop the board <ok>

Personally speaking Hockaday would be a good appointment <whistle>
    are you listening Rad me ol mukka <laugh>

17. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Kenny burns was the same he played in both positions.for birmingham i believe .

18. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

without getting into the history of football positions, names and formations over the years, Norm was to all intents and purposes a left sided centre back. He was the first ever players player of the year and I think appreciated by those in the game more than fans at large outside of Leeds. Ramsey apparently rated him a better defender than Moore, but felt Moore was a natural leader and the first player on his team sheet . Norman to be fair revered moore.

There's some quality defenders on that list to choose from that's for sure.

patb likes this.
  19. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Could you please explain the left half position as I'm not sure what is meant by it.

I thought we played 4-4-2

Sprake/Harvey
    Reaney Charlton Hunter Cooper
    Lorimer Giles Bremner Gray
    Clarke Jones

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

it comes from the days when teams lined up 2,3,5... left half, right half and centre half were actually midfielders. left back and right back were the two 'defenders'. The positions moved as the game advanced but the names hung around.

Whitejock and Jammy 07 like this.