1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 5, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Monk has been speaking in his last presser of the 2016 /17 season :-

In it he has expressed his desire to stay, provided they (the club) can agree on the way forward. Said the club need to "be smart" about what they do next!

"I’ve thoroughly enjoyed (the job). Now it’s a case of everyone being smart and understanding the best opportunity for going forward.

Monk also said he's had no offers or expressions of interest from other clubs

The gaffer also mentioned that he will be meeting up with Radrizzani after the Wigan game to discuss his future.

Monk was asked by @LeeSobotYEP about the petition to keep Monk at Elland Road.

(Monk to Sobot) "Have you signed it?"

LS "No I will later, have you?

GM "Maybe my mum has!"

Rotherham United defender Joel Ekstrand has admitted that he could have joined Leeds United last year but the Elland Road pulled out of a deal after a medical.

The 28-year-old left Watford to join Bristol City last summer and has since moved on to the recently relegated Championship side.

“I was offered a contract after the medical examination [at Leeds],” he told The Bristol Post.

“Afterwards the negotiations were tough. The survey found that my knees looked different, which is obvious when one knee has been operated on for a cruciate ligament injury.

“They tried to use it against me. Therefore, it was, what it was.”

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

I just want the Wigan game out the way now so we can see the direction the club is going.

Doc likes this.
  3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, there are many people in the football World that are now saying that Leeds Utd are going in the right direction.

Obviously if Monk signs a new deal, that will be a great marker as we know he'll only sign if assurances can be made.

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I heard we had an option to extend his contract by a year, I still don't care if he doesn't sign one. More importantly for me is Cellino to be gone completely and Rad to make funds available to whoever is in charge.

I haven't the confidence that Monk spends wisely, still far too many poor signings or players that didn't have the right impact last season (for me anyway) and limited effect on tactical changes and substitutions and some strange team selections.

After previous seasons of scrapping around the bottom anything top half would have been a success and with the money Cellino put in surely that was minimal? Monk did okay, if we sign him up I have a feeling we will come up short but on the flip side it would provide stability and maybe a coach who has learnt a few things from last season.

Once this Kinnear guy is in place (I believe he is coming in to also see the purchase of ER), once Cellino has gone, once Rad puts the transfer kitty on the table and his future plans are laid out, I don't think we'll have a job finding a better guy than Monk or at the least, a string of quality applicants.

If Rad sits down with Monk to discuss the future I believe he will sign a new contract, the question is will Rad sit down with Monk and tell him thank you and goodbye? It isn't will Monk sign, more a case will he be offered a new contract or not, that's my thoughts anyway.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

We now know what happened to pee Monk off in January http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/03/barry-fry-comments-on-leeds-uniteds-pursuit-of-marcus-maddison/ Cellino sticking his nose into an agree deal, then pulling the plug at the 12th hour. I believe there was at least 1 more deal scuppered like this. So although we the fans thought it was great Cellino stayed quiet all season he was still a disruptive element especially in January window.

Monk stays if he gets to keep some of his jewels and gets a decent budget for players. I hope he does stay even though I get what ristac is saying. My problem with that is who would come and replace Monk? someone who would be a backward step again, because a good, top replacement would think why has Monk gone after the job he did, something not right.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

January 2016 mate whilst Evans was in charge ;) <ok>

BUT I don't doubt Monk probably felt let down in January

Again though, 12 new players last season, at least three costing in excess of £2m and some big fee loan signings, when was the last time we did that?

Only my opinion but I have a feeling Monk was told get it right preseason as we know Cellino doesn't like spending in January and credit where credit is due, he did keep his word and not sell Taylor

7. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. I hope for Ristac sake we buy back Elland Road soon. I suspect hes lost a lot of sleep on that one over past two seasons <whistle><laugh>
    Totally agree if Monk walks itll be because club not willing to back next stage and that will be worrying for that reason alone

wakeybreakyheart and ristac like this.
  8. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I do not think we were ready for promotion this year, but surely we must all think that the club has made progress since Gary Monk joined. I wonder why one of the half dozen clubs at the bottom of the premier league did not make an effort to sign one of "the string of quality applicants" you speak of.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was on the fence over Rad but I'm a lot more confident in him than I was two weeks back. The ground concerns me for one reason only, the next investor... Cellino got shot of GFH hopefully Rad shot of Cellino and next step is the kind of investment Man City have. To attract that kind of offer we need no scandal and to be run like a professional club, something I'm hoping Rad can do.

I know it massively divides opinion but Leicester we're one in a thousand. Unless Sky goes bust and the PL have a massive shake up the only way to compete at the top is to be bank rolled by a billionaire. I'd take that in a heartbeat

bucks_is_leeds and Eireleeds1 like this.
  10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

<ok>

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Without serious investment will we ever be ready, the PL is a two tier system, fast becoming a three. Newcastle can't even stay in the top flight for a dozen seasons and look at their fan base. Norwich, Fulham and even Swansea are struggling. It wasn't long ago we were being told what a great business model Swansea has.

Nobody would have had Monk as first choice last season, I fully understand those wanting to keep him but surely everyone has to question the poor start, the poor end and was money wisely spent?

Put it this way, where would we have finished had Monk inherited the team and have been told loan and free players only and no you can't have a backroom team like his predecessors?

Monk was given far more than any of the coaches before him. As for better coaches, I bet the 6 teams in front of us wouldn't swap and "do" Brentford and Preston feel they have better considering available funds?

Again though, if we keep Monk I haven't a problem, I will support him and hope he does well, I will be back later in the year though saying I told you so ;) <ok>

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    LeedsLover likes this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cellino arrived and identified that by buying back ER the value of the club doubles! He then had a war with GFH and I understand the reasons for not buying back ER, because they would not put up 25% of the price but wanted to receive the massive valuation increase in their 25% shares the buy back would have achieved. Cellino said ok lets agree a valuation of your shares and I guarantee to pay that later. They wouldnt, so no investment in the club except staff all down to GFH having those shares.

ER buy back is a no brainer and I believe it will happen this summer. Rad has links in China and Middle East. A new Director works in the Mid East with arab cash, Rad has Chinese partners in another business. Investment is coming I would bet, so the question has to be does Monk fit rads ambition or does Rad not come up to Monks ambition. Interesting few days coming up

Eireleeds1 and ristac like this.
  13. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

The link you put up was Jan 2016 that Ristac pointed out, I think back then we were still getting stabilized.

Monk wanting to keep his jewels is one thing, whether the Jewels want to stay is another.

I don't think Bartley did himself any favours by saying he'll play for Leeds but only if Monk is the manager, basically he's holding Leeds to ransom. You either want to play for Leeds or you don't, irrespective of who's the manager.

I do find it interesting that our two best CB's are publicly going in to bat for Monk; Monk should stay on his merits only, not because a couple of players demand it. Not saying Monk did it, but Redders worked the fans in order to stay at Leeds.

Doing a great job during your first season is one thing, the second season will define whether he's any good or not, of course to show that he has to sign another contract.

Me personally, what we got this season is basically what we'll get next season, if he wants to improve on this season, he's got to do a lot of changing and risk taking imo.

When you analyse it, he hasn't done a lot of great things, yes we were in top 6, but we slipped out of top 6 towards end of this season; this does beg certain questions, does he have the killer instinct to overcome the final hurdles to get promoted, does he have the venom to instill into the players, will he take chances and change our formation, and players to suit some games, or will he stick with the safe defensive approach he used during this season and we get the same old next season?.

Our defence probably played the biggest part in our getting into top 6, our shots at goal and shots on target weren't exactly something to write home about, thing is, who played a part in our slipping out of, and missing out on a top 6 berth.

Our midfield wasn't the best either, our defense bailed them out quite a lot this season imo. We've had the midfield problem all season, and, same as our not playing too many games with back to back halves nothing was fixed.

I find it interesting that O'Kane was in the top 2 stats, that Ell put up, of the number of games we won when he played, so why didn't he play more during season.

It's that time of season where many questions will be asked, and quite a few assumed answers will be stated. Imo we don't need what we had this season, we need much better.....because only much better will get us promoted........ :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

16. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

You have shagged worse.

17. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I just don't think chopping and changing managers is the way to go. Appoint a man you believe can do the job and back him up.

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's the thing, I'm not confident in Monk and I wonder if he can do the job, interesting times ahead.

19. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

You have said it often enough, but he hasnt done too much wrong and the club needs on field stability, with the various nutters in the boardroom over the last decade and their constant flip flopping turning round the playing side was always going to take time.

I would give him a two year deal with a promotion or bullet clause.

20. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see both sides, not agreeing or disagreeing, as long as Rad makes funds available I'm open minded to who is in charge next season. Without funds it will matter not <ok>