1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Think we just need to concentrate on winning our game, which at the moment is certainly not a given. Zero points from two very winnable games against wolves and burton shows it's not worth watching what others do. Had we won those it was job done. Annoying end to a very exciting season.

2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Yep, and the Villa investment has ensured that they'll win the play-offs! Oh, wait a minute ... <doh>

If it's all about investment, how come so many teams with parachute payments are guaranteed not to catch us this season? And remember, 3 of the top 6 will end up with nothing too.

And whilst investment is a factor, it's not just about investment in one season. There has to be investment over a few years.

The gays, as we all know, have been building slowly since the days of Poyet - consistently season after season.

Newcastle invested loads over the last few years. This year has been more about de-investment - shedding expensive PL players & bringing in cheaper ones.

The 3 play-off teams have been steadily investing over the last few years.

All of the above are getting some return for their approach.

So why do Leeds fans expect to get success after 1 season of mediocre investment?

I can't be bothered listing the other teams investment approaches, but there are many notable failures. Quite apart from all of the parachute payment clubs, my favourite failure that questions the assumed correlation between investment & success is Derby. Imagine all that investment & being gutted at the end of so many seasons?

3. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Season not over just yet, two wins and we can still get playoffs ... Cellino should be gone by June, then at least we can move forward ... Rad has two very good businessmen on the Leeds board, so hopefully they will use their contacts to bring in the money needed for Monk to continue building

this season has been amazing, way above our expectations, and to be in with a chance of playoffs with two games left is something we could only dream of at the start ... yes, it's disappointing that we have dropped off, but credit to Fulham, they have put it together when it mattered, and we always felt they were a promotion worthy squad anyway

as said before, as long as we learn from this and improve next season, then all the hard work Monk and his team have put in will be well worth it ... our younger players will be a bit more experienced and understand better how to handle promotion pressure ... some quality additions and I for one won't fear anyone in this division next season ... we have a very good manager and staff, and that is the key component

beat Norwich and anything is still possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Youre right, investment guarantees nothing as only three teams can go up anyway. One thing is certain though, little or no investment guarantees not going up

5. lifecheshirewhite

Huddersfield have spent fook all and not sure Fulham have spent loads either,we should be looking to loan off chelski and man city as they seem to have the best youth set ups by far.
    Should be asking about Chelsea's loan guy at Bristol city.

6. Eireleeds1

Not sure loaning guys for a season is building. Stopgap Maybe

7. lifecheshirewhite

Only way we can compete with Villa, Derby, Shef wed etc cant see us ever spending £20 million or so in the championship.
    You could buy Hogan and McCormack for £24 million or loan the Bristol city guy off Chelsea,I know what I would go for.

BillysStatue likes this.
  8. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But the players Uddersfield have got on loan are ALL class players

9. lifecheshirewhite

And that's what we need,class players from City and Chelski

ellandback likes this.
  10. Eireleeds1

I'd be curious how many loanees the top six have

11. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Good squad guys to have though.

12. wakeybreakyheart

Then we need to pay their full wages.not cheapo loanees.

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  13. Eireleeds1

Plus you have to start again following summer when they go back to the parent clubs

14. wakeybreakyheart

Quality will do for me.

ellandback likes this.
  15. patb

patb Well-Known Member

Ched Evans: Sheffield United set to re-sign striker from Chesterfield

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Billy Sharp should never have been sold as Monk would have had a field day with him and Woody. I think the blades will do great because taking Ched Evans to play with Billy will be brilliant half a million for Evans is for nothing.

I agree with WJ about investing year on year and we have done brilliantly this season, BUT my argument is if we dont do it again this summer we are fooked. This team will be different next year. Rad needs to act now as players all on holidays soon.

Anyone else think Villa are shyte and wont go up next season? Villa will be there along with the 3 that drop this time, Norwich bouncing again along with Derbys steady investment. Warburton and Forest are now starting to play plus Wendies, Reading ....... its fooking impossible without investment. No more investment this summer means we go backwards, a few mill investment means we can do a Brighton next season as we keep the bones of this team. Our kids have been slapped daft all season so I dont agree with Billy. We loaned a few out but we let a lot go and we have been beaten consistently this season in the u23, so these kids will not be better next season. Billy Whitehouse is a lightweight yet

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  17. Eireleeds1

<applause> Well said

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

QJ, it has taken them time to gel. They will be a different animal next season mark my words...

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

And Liverpool

20. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Though, do you think any of those clubs would help us out in that way?

: MOT