1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 27, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

A Chris Wood goal half way through the first half was enough to give Leeds three valuable points, and keep a 9 point cushion between ourselves and Fulham who are pressing hard in 7th place, and have a game in hand.

Was it a pretty game?

No, but Yorkshire derbies are never meant to be!

Leeds head coach Garry Monk:

"We were playing a very good side in Sheffield Wednesday. I thought they put some pressure on but we dealt with it extremely well.

"I can't remember them having any shots on goal apart from the penalty so that was very pleasing.

"The pressure that's there to win these types of games, both teams on the same points, a derby game. I thought we handled the pressure really well today and I'm very pleased with the players."

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal:

"We didn't lose today because we didn't try. We fought a lot and created a big chance with the penalty.

"We win together and we lose together. The responsibility is not too any one player. Individual mistakes are part of the game and we must understand them. It is normal in football."

Leeds are back to fourth in the table courtesy of Brighton's 3-0 drubbing of play off rivals Reading.

We are 4 points behind the dog botherers who are a further 5 points behind Newcastle in second.

If the table were to finish like this, would you settle for a first round play off against Reading or would you rather play the Wendies again?

In 2010/11 at this stage we had 54 points from 34 games and were in 6th place. Today we are on 61.

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland and all. Great day was had on Saturday as you've probably guessed by now. As myself and others have said elsewhere the TV definitely didn't tell the full story. Awful conditions 110% commitment, amazing bond with the fans and players. I'd agree with every word Monk said. Not too bothered who we play in playoffs. Whoever it is will likely have a better squad on paper than us but I'll bet none of the other teams will want Leeds in the playoffs

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Great result and shows how important a good defence is to a season. No chances really except for the pen, so a big well done guys. Wonder if Berardi will keep his place when Charies fit, or will he go into his own position or the bench?

Well done woody yet again and I really hope we have more goals to come from our new signings for the play offs. We are going to get some injuries, some suspensions, some loss of form and we are dezzy for someone else to chip in with goals. Duke needs to be omitted now as hes more of a liability

ristac likes this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all.

Three points is the main thing, Monk pointing out how many shots Sheffield W had, well the same as us on target, 1 each. Actual total shots they had more than us. We were the home team, it wasn't pretty, our defence and Wood earned us the three points

The attacking three need to step up their game, I'm feeling confused about Pedrazza and Barrow, they seem 3rd choice for their respective positions at the moment.

I appreciate what you are saying Eire about being there and the conditions but... Some of our long direct balls to Wood or cross field passes were fine, I wasn't complaining about those..

If you get a chance to watch a replay on Sky watch Doukara and Sacko first half and the short under hit misplaced passes by Bridcutt second half, their performances had nothing to do with the weather.

Sacko pulled out of any possible challenges, he never looked up once to find a pass, Doukara got the ball midway time and time again and just cut inside with sideways only movement, when he did go forward he lost the ball trying to run through players.

Bookings as well, we gave too many free kicks away some needless like throwing the ball away.

Despite my concerns, we should have been 2-0 up, it was a scissor tackle on O'Kane, anywhere else on the pitch and it would have been a free kick.

I wanted to see a replay of their keeper running way out of his area to clear a dangerous looking ball, I was sure it hit his arm.

I don't usually agree with LeedsLover but on another post he points out the advantage of replays, close ups and different angles that are available on TV compared to being there in person.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Whitejock and ellandback like this.
  5. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Oh i saw the passes that went astray and the woefull display by sacko .time to try a new guy in his position.as for leeds lover i have no comment to make.

ristac likes this.
  6. wakeybreakyheart

Brighton tickets have gone on sale.members and seasons only it says.

7. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

They'll take a draw at your place although they could have one hand on the title in the next 3 games.

I'm sure they'll fancy themselves to make it 7 in a row against you next month.

8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Whatever, but there will be 35k fans there in top voice. Can you imagine what itd be like to have a third of that at a Nillwall home game. Did I spell third right? Should it be turd?

9. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

Shame your lot that don't make as much noise as 16k of ours, it'll be nice for the gulls to dissappoint so many weeds but you've been used to that for so many years........<whistle>

MIGHTY likes this.
  10. wakeybreakyheart

Yeah but he contradicts himself.he saw rhodes hit the post on the telly and on his own highlights.yet we who dont have his advantage over in the east stand saw green save it.we saw the same game as everyone else.

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Steve I sat in the home end at the den a couple of years ago for your never to be repeated cup final vs Leeds and if it wasn't for the noise from the away end I could've sworn I was in a library :bandit:

OLOF, Marcos Barber, ristac and 3 others like this.
  12. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

I was in the hospitality I can confirm....

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  13. lifecheshirewhite

I was in there too,Leeds were much louder than Millwall at the den,in fact we always are.

OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and Chippy / Glory like this.
  14. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

i was at that game with you Chesh and i think you are telling porkies <laugh>

Millwallsteve likes this.
  15. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Chesh do you know what i remember most about that game ?
    no
    then i will tell you
    it was in the pub afterwards when some absolute little cracker had eyes for our Chesh only time iv ever been jealous of Leeds <yikes>

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  16. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Thats torn it.
    Can you imagine how jealous marcos is going to be.
    #bromance

17. lifecheshirewhite

She was a Scot,she just wanted a man who doesn't wear skirts.

MIGHTY likes this.
  18. lifecheshirewhite

You could hear a penny drop in the stand we were in Mighty,if fact we did hear many drop when the wally mongs were throwing them at the Leeds section,cheap southerners.

19. Farsleyexile

Farsleyexile Well-Known Member

Did you hear the mouse fart Chesh?:emoticon-0136-giggl

20. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just said I agree with his TV points, not his opinion on the game but reading his comments on that thread I don't believe he actually watched it on TV himself as he was relying on Ellands link so whilst I agree with his TV comments, I don't believe he put them into practice on the day <ok>

I watched it live on Sky.. I initially thought Green had saved it and tipped it on to the post, I watched the replay from behind the goal and saw it was indeed an excellent save. Woods goal, he looked over to the linesman fearing he was offside, it did look at first glance like he might have been, the replay showed it wasn't the CB Sasso running out late, it was the RB playing him onside.

O'Kanes penalty claim, it looked like it was 50/50, replays showed the guy might have got the touch of a nats bollock on the ball but from every angle it was a penalty, replays showed Janssons booking was harsh, they showed the penalty against Doukara was justified but it was nothing more than what goes on at every corner for every team.