1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

In a recent interview with the YEP Garry Monk was asked explain the difference in quality between the victory over Derby and subsequent matches :-

“Welcome to the Championship. That’s what I’d say to that. “We go out with the intention (of playing well) always but it’s impossible in this league.

“There’s no team in this league I’ve seen who can play the same way at the same level in every single game. “The Championship doesn’t allow you that. The Championship is a league where you have to be able to adapt.

“Of course we fight for our way as hard as we can and you could see how much we tried to play (at Ipswich). We’re doing well and we’ll stay focused.

“Others can have their opinions and say what they want, and quite rightly so, but these players know what they’re doing and what they’re trying to do. They try and play football and it’s something we should all appreciate.

“It was a difficult game, there’s no getting away from it. But our character and commitment is always 100 per cent. You can see the players’ desire to win games and, if not, to come away with something.”

Thoughts?

Neil Warnock believes Leeds United’s fans will be the factor that brings them over the line in this season’s play-off battle.

“I think it will be a good play-off battle. They all have different attributes. Reading have a problem because their pitch is a disgrace and they play passing football so that doesn’t help them,” he explained to Sky Sports.

“Leeds have the fans, and Wednesday have the passion and Fernando Forestieri, who is on fire.”

Pep Clotet has revealed that Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani was key to the club landing Alfonso Pedraza in the January window.

The Elland Road assistant coach claimed Radrizzani made use of a “relationship” with La Liga club Villarreal to smooth through the signing of the Spanish winger.

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Anyone who watched the Newcastle villa game last night would understand what Monk was saying. Rubbish game settled by basically two own goals. God help the abuse our defenders would have got if they came up with those changers. There are far more bad games than good ones in this division. I'll settle for a last minute winner Saturday in a fire match though. Good to see the Rad scoring his first brownie point too

3. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Basically, if anyone else is reading between lines, Monk is making excuses to deflect blame / responsibility away from himself, he's been doing it quite regularly.

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

Okay, trying to work Pedraza out in my own mind..

“And when we came to Leeds, we collected all the data, and there we were already aiming for Pedraza, we analysed the games, we wanted a wide player on loan. In summer, we mentioned it, but we brought Hadi Sacko.”

So was Sacko preferred at the time over Pedraza? Or an alternative option as Pedraza was out of reach.

“At Christmas, the new owner, Andrea Radrizzani, revealed a relationship he had with Villarreal. And this name (Pedraza) appeared. We knew that he had physical potential, level of improvement, we asked a lot on a personal level and everyone gave us very positive opinions,” added Clotet to Marca.

Mmm asking lots of questions sounds like Monk was offered Pedraza and wasn't sure of him. This also rules out the theory that it wasn't Monks time in Spain that alerted him to his ability.

Maybe none of it matters and I have too much time on my hands this morning...

5. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

good morning from a sunny Wakefield.Hogan who cost a reported 12million was injured last night.gayle pulled up lame also, this league can be brutal.
    tonight we have two important games that affect us.hudders v reading and weds v brentford.what would you guys reckon to be the best outcome in those games ?
    .As for monk what is he supposed to say ?.we have a very limited squad in midfield all much the same type of player.up front we have one striker who is basically a centre forward.we need others to step forward and score some goals as we are lacking in that department.Roofe needs to step up now he has had time to bed in to this league.the others have had a go so perhaps ped should start this one or dallas for his cover and getting stuck in.maybe monk is having the same thoughts and can see no one to change things.

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can't help but feel Monk is feeling frustrated after the January transfer window.

Wakey I think wins for Brentford and Huddersfield would be best. Reading are the ones I feel are more likely to go on a slide.

davy likes this.
  7. wakeybreakyheart

maybe so as reading play brighton away this weekend.

8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'll be keeping more of an eye on the results of Fulham, Norwich and Derby over the next few games. Doesn't matter that much where we finish in the top six if the playoff teams stay as they are.

hemase likes this.
  9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire hmmm would I rather have an early goal and hold out for best part of 90 mins, or score a last minute winner. Both would be hard on the ol ticker...

10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning LL, Monk is not good at taking criticism. Do you remember 4th or 5th game in, he was about to lose it pitchside whilst being interviewed by Thom and Eddie.

Eddie looked scared...

11. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

doesnt matter what others do when they play each other its what you do against other top 10 clubs that matters <ok>

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, sounds to me that Rad fancied Pedraza at the club. That's pretty much obvious by the lack of game time Pedraza has been given. Monk can come across as a petulant child sometimes, but in saying that we have not been in such a good position in the league for years...

Whitejock likes this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Wakey, well said... Roofe has not influenced the team as much as I would have expected. I think we need more combative midfielders, especially for the Yorkshire derby

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Mighty! :emoticon-0162-coffe

15. Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins Well-Known Member

There is nothing in there that suggest Monk is shifting any blame....its just more LL ****-stirring and always wanting somebody to have a go at.

Were in a good position, and what Monk says is true, you cant play like we did against Derby every game. We have shown flashes of it since but the likelihood of us putting that performance together for 90 minutes again is very slim.

16. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Paul, it was an observation that I noticed at the beginning of the season. Monk has done wonders with the team. I'm truly gutted but I believe the hierarchy did not support Monk in the January transfer window

17. wakeybreakyheart

got to agree about the midfield so would start Dallas and bench viera.bridcutt and O'kane for me.if they don't start then we will know Monk is too stubborn and has not learnt much about his team.it has the making of a brutal affair it's no place for kids .so upon reflection i would bench ped or barrow.going to need space on that bench for two defenders .cooper and ????.we do not want a thrashing.i think we would have beaten Ipswitch with bridcutt starting.

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Unfortunately for Dallas, he doesn't look like a good player, but he adds a lot of stability to a team, and doesn't lose the ball....

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  19. wakeybreakyheart

i was at the Derby game and they were missing defenders so were weak on the left side.we should have thrashed them four nil but played a lot of tippy tappy football.
    i was not convinced at all but it was a good atmosphere and i think Monk got carried away by it.

20. wakeybreakyheart

agree with you but viera does.we can make changes later in the game.come on Leeds got stuck in first sixty and get some tackles in.

ellandback likes this.