1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

In my opinion, we got got we deserved on Saturday, BUT what did we learn?

Playing with three right backs isn't necessarily the best option.

True?

We are indeed light on centre backs

True?

Without Wood, we'd be in trouble.

True?

Dallas adds stability.

True?

We have missed O'Kane

True?

It is not a good idea to give away stupid free kicks on the edge of our box (especially when you consider Barnsley are renowned at their set pieces from headers)

True?

Here are some questions regarding the game

How are Doukara and Green always the fall guys?

Why do Leeds always concede in first half injury time?

Why can't Leeds put away their chances?

2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Blimey, our board has been credited for starting the Blame Tom Lees witch hunt!!!

1. Elland Back ‏@EllandBack1 13m13 minutes ago
      As a whole, Leeds Utd did not play well on Saturday. I know, let's blame Tom Doukara!

please log in to view this image
    E/P - 85‏@EP85sneakerhead

@EllandBack1 better than that #blametomlees you started a couple of years ago

Tweet text

Reply to @EP85sneakerhead
      1. please log in to view this image
        Elland Back ‏@EllandBack1
        6m6 minutes ago
        More
        @EP85sneakerhead Not sure I can take credit for that one...

E/P - 85 ‏@EP85sneakerhead
        4m4 minutes ago
        More
        @EllandBack1 I thought it was you unless in was another Not606er.

Elland Back ‏@EllandBack1
        2m2 minutes ago
        More
        @EP85sneakerhead Rest assured pal, It wasn't myself that started the #blametomlees witch hunt.

3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I thought Colin started the blame tom lees thing?

Funny game Friday. We were cack and got what we deserved, but all 3 goals, while well taken by them, required both a stroke of good fortune in the build up and some culpability from ourselves.

Doukara is not a left winger (not sure what he is actually - striker who doesn't score?), he gave a load of clumsy fouls away and had a poor game. He's inconsistent but he's put some decent stints in and it would be unfair to single him out on a day where the whole side was out of form.

Green was the least of our worries on Friday.

ellandback, hemase and Marcos Barber like this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

That same team tore Derby to pieces a few days ago, it was an away defeat, our own recent performances have raised the expectation bar that's all, let's hope we recover and bounce back with a win.

It's nature to blame someone for a defeat, from Monk could and should of made changes quicker, Cellino and Rad should have brought in the two new players Monk has requested by now, Green, Doukara.... the list can go on.

We were all debating in December what position needs strengthening, when Jansson wasn't suspended and Cooper was fit, I couldn't see the need for a CB after the Barnsley game it showed why we could perhaps do with one.

When Doukara was looking good I couldn't see the need for a reserve striker, now I am questioning the lack of goals from Doukara and Roofe.

One thing for me that has remained constant, we need better than Silvestre and Green, I'm not confident with either, I still think Green is better but it is a weak position for us.

ellandback and Marcos Barber like this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One more point, Doukara, Roofe, Vieria were not first choices a few weeks back, they have kept their places ahead of Dallas, Sacko, O'Kane rightly or wrongly so.

Doukara over Dallas? I know Dallas has critics but he offers more defensive cover he crosses the ball better he gives the ball away less.

Roofe tries, he gives it his all, he is a nice guy who we are all willing to do well, every couple of weeks we say he is getting better but is he? Is he creating chances, is he assisting goals, is he scoring goals?

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. The Forest game can't come quick enough so we can resign that defeat to the history books. In fairness if we win half our remaining games and a couple of draws we'll be in the play off lottery. That's the target now as top two are done and dusted. I just hope, if we get to Wembley, our whole season isn't undone by a goalkeeping gaff by either of our keepers

7. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Ok, first of all, the whole ream let us down Saturday with the possible exception of Wood. Put us one up, should have made it two then won and scored a penalty (albeit more than dubious). Not sure you can ask much more from a Centre Forward in a poor away performance from the team.

Now, Doukarra who I have heavily criticised. I have a problem with him and admit it. Any player who refuses to play or even travel (lipstick gate at Charlton a couple of years ago) for my precious club because of a misconceived loyalty to our "President" has a lot of making up to do (same goes for Silvestre). Cellino is not this club, does not offer week in and out support or even pay his wages, we do, the long suffering fans. Is what they did any better than McContracts latest stunt?

If these players were exceptional, admitted they were wrong and gave everything I could forgive in time. However, as a player, I have never seen anything (apart from Wolves away) where you could even suggest Doukarra might be Man of the Match. He's a big lump who can't tackle or win headers (difficult when your feet don't leave the ground and your head shrinks into your neck to try and avoid getting hurt). He's not quick, doesn't score, gives away numerous throw ins and the odd corner as well as turning over possession half the time he touches the ball. Add in the clumsy free kicks and I stand by my opinion. Oh, and I was thirty yards from him a lot of the time first half against Rotherham and swear I moved more than him. Dallas may not be the answer but he is honest and puts the yards in.

Ristac is right, Green and Silvestre are probably not good enough but find it odd to forensically annihilate Green for Saturday's goals - don't give away the silly free kicks or let players turn you in the box and he has nothing to save. Whether we go up or not, gk is one area we need to invest in to improve next year.

Anyway, feeling more positive today, looking forward to Wednesday and hoping we get the big response we are owed.

Ps, if Doukarra is picked Wednesday, I will back him the same as anyone else lucky enough to pull on the famous white shirt, I just hope he gives me something in return :emoticon-0148-yes:

davy, Jammy 07, Leedsoflondon and 2 others like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Expectations were high after Derby and that same team that smashed Derby were probably thinking Barnsley would be easy. Realisation came that we are not good enough to allow teams to get after us without hitting back. I think some shoulders dropped and the game was lost. Duke shouldnt be in the team for me, and playing loads of right backs cant keep on working. The tactics at Derby were countered by Barnsley as they knew we were forced to set up the same, so garry was out foxed it happens. We now need a striker at least.

Forest will be tough unless we fire properly

Farsleyexile and Marcos Barber like this.
  9. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I think you are probably right the team may have underestimated Barnsley as did the supporters, although Gary Monk warned them it would not be easy

10. milkyboy

You've hidden it so well. Glad you're off the fence!

Agree about green. I'm not sold on him, too uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, has the odd calamity in him, but the back 5, when all fit, have been rock solid and some of that is down to communication and understanding their jobs in a given situation. Silvestri doesn't give a team that (and is worse with the ball at his feet). He's probably a better shot stopper, but he's not a better alround goalkeeper.

Neither are as bad though as sometimes painted. Keepers make mistakes.

No keeper saves barnsley's 2nd and 3rd. Some might have saved the 1st... , but it's not a goal where you think 'blame the keeper'... unless you are predisposed to doing so.

Contractually, If things stay the same, in June we will have one 20 year old keeper on the books. So I guess it's a wait and see scenario for the future.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree with everything apart from need a striker? Are you not happy with Wood and his goals, Antonsson on the bench where Roofe and Doukara should be, I think we need a Keeper and someone who can play or cover in Sacko/Dallas position, arguably another CB for me, the Striker position with Wood is more than adequately covered <ok>

ellandback likes this.
  12. milkyboy

If they did, there's no excuse. Barnsley have proved themselves a decent side and didn't make it easy for us at Elland road. Chuck in a derby game at home and this was always a really tricky fixture in my book.

I think they pressured us like we usually do to opponents, caused errors in our own half from over- playing and knew they could attack the flanks with our defensive re-arrangements.

ellandback likes this.
  13. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all. Hopefully this is the result to keep our feet on the ground. Confidence is good in a squad but after our recent run and the performance against Derby maybe the players were getting a little over confident. A poor performance Saturday, hopefully because we took them too lightly, brings us back to reality. Time to work hard again.

Let's start another winning run against Forest on Wednesday. A quick return to elland road against a poor forest team might be the best thing after that defeat. As long as the players don't go in with the " we've already won this attitude" we should be ok. Followed by a very winnable cup tie we could boun can e back nicely.

BillysStatue and Farsleyexile like this.
  14. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

under estimated Barnsley <doh>
    last 6 games they have taken more points than Newcastle <laugh>

keep underestimating them but beware if they keep their players together through this January window they will finish higher than you in the league <ok>

15. milkyboy

They already sold their top scorer and still beat us. Don't think they're consistent enough to catch us unless we blow up.

16. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

It was Colin who said it in a presser... tell this guy to feck off.
    We just took the piss and blamed him for all colins hoofball calamities thereafter

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

South Yorkshire Police has yet to comment on the reports, and it is unclear whether an investigation has been launched. Fighting broke out in the home end and in the corner by the away end after Chris Wood scored the first goal at 18 minutes into the match.

It took police and stewards 10-15 minutes to restore order. The remainder of the game passed without incident, but some reports spoke of pockets of violence in Barnsley town centre after the final whistle. These have yet to be confirmed by police.

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Hang on.

So our official stance is we are blaming Colin for blaming Tom Lees?

19. Chippy / Glory

Yep....
    Warnock said in a presser and I quote " it's all Tom Lees fault".

20. Chippy / Glory

I can see Glorys sleeve!