1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 12, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Garry Monk Monk has had a little pop at the scheduling this week and Leeds' fixture changes in general.

“I understand that it makes money for companies and that Leeds are a big attraction outside the Premier League, but it’s to our detriment in terms of recovery and congestion in the fixtures.

“It is not an excuse. We will meet it head on and we will do what we have to do, but I do not think it is very fair the amount of times we have been moved.

“Other teams who are in or around us or in this league are not getting moved anywhere near what we are. But it is what it is and we have to deal with it.”

Sergi Canos has 'liked' a post in which a Leeds fan had posted that the Elland Road club were after him!

Is he trying to tell us something?

Does he fancy a move to Elland Road?

Who remembers when we signed Gradel from the crisp munchers for £400k as they did not want him.

What about O'Kane coming to us on a freebee?

Could this be another bargain of the century?
    please log in to view this image

The Wendies are after Barnsley striker Sam Winnall.

I wonder if they would have still wanted him if we hadn't have been interested in him?

According to press reports, we are monitoring Bournemouth's forward Lewis Grabban (valued at 7m).

If you had the option would you have Fletcher or Grabban?

Farsleyexile likes this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all.. If we are going to sign a Striker this transfer window, they either have to be a proven one who will make an immediate impact for our promotion push or someone with next season in mind.

Personally, I wouldn't be in the slightest bit excited about Grabban or Fletcher, I don't rate either as being better than what we have but.... If this is a Monk request I'm happy to trust his judgement, if these are being offered to him by someone above I hope he challenges them to do better.

I don't know why but the Canos one sounds far more exciting to me.

Irishshako likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning elland and all. Nice to be back to a sane thread. The Cambridge Leeds game must have been better than I thought. The thread on it has already generated a seven page discussion. <laugh> Not sure about Monks complaints about fixture congestion. He rested eight first choice players on Monday and got Jansson suspended by stupidly picking him. Bit like victimpool resting full team at weekend for last nights Southampton and they failed to win either. Are we showing Derby too much respect? We've a terrific home record and providing we do the usual and go in scoreless at half time, I'm confident we'll sort them
    In the second half

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good point, Wood, Sacko, Hernandez, Bridcutt, O'Kane, Green, Taylor, Vieria, Ayling; 9 players who have been totally rested. Monday and Friday is no different surely to Saturday and a Wed midweek, considering most midweeks seem to be Tuesday it's an extra days rest, Berardi, Doukara and Bartley only played half a game, I don't get the complaints in the slightest.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, myself, I rate Fletcher, though I would still say it would be a gamble, as he is only proven at league 1.

ristac likes this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Doukara certainly didnt burn much energy in the time he was on the pitch. I suspect he might even have put on weight during the game

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire,

8. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. Friday's game will be interesting. 3.5 days of rest for a home game is comfortably enough. If I was being paid £10k a week, I'm sure I would be suitably rested cum Friday. Irritating that we will be without Jansson. But we'll just have o make do; an opportunity for someone else to impress. And I'm sure Monk has a plan.

On new Forwards, if we are buying or loan before buying someone, he's got to be at least as efficient as Wood. Hope we get someone in, as we need to give our playoff hopes a bit of a push. I want us to win, but I'd settle for a draw.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning twats: For me if we sign a striker he needs to be someone with a proven record who will rip this league apart. Thats why I wanted Crouch. He would have made an immediate impact and scored probably every game in this league. Stoke gave him a new contract so thats that. But there must be a striker in the prem who isnt playing and would come to leads for 6 month loan?

Fletcher was highly thought of by Ferguson but was moved on by LVG and West Ham were chuffed to get him. Being a kid though its not worked out so yes I would be willing to take him knowing that he was for the future, but we have a couple of our own kids who are for the future and would he be better than Malik for example.

10. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Derby's form and results, fa cup excepted, have dipped in the last few weeks. If we can get a defence patched up, we should be looking at this as a very winnable game and a chance to put some distance between us.

Re signing forwards. I see the logic in another winger... Dallas is more a wide midfielder than a winger, so having another option to stretch sides will be very useful.

As for striker, I'm not sure he needs to be 'better' than wood. There's the build for the future option, who you hope will deliver now as well (bit of a gamble)... where fletcher comes in.....

...or the experienced proven scorer option - there for: competition to wood - cover for wood - option to change formation if/when required and play as a two. Nugent fitted that bill, pretty well so looks like rumours of fletcher being first choice might be right.

11. strachallister

strachallister Well-Known Member

Morning all, we have also been linked with Matty Taylor of the gas !!, prolific in league 2 and having another cracking season in league one, would it be a step to far for him in the championship or a shrewd move by Mr.Monk ??

12. Eireleeds1

Likely sort of lad we can afford at the moment. We must remember though that League 1, while only one division below us is little more than part time football and is actually several standards below what were used to. It will be a huge jump up for him to move to a top championship side

13. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Derby is going to be a really tough assignment, they know they must win this one to stay in touch with the play offs ... can't see Bournemouth being in too much of a hurry to sell Grabban, he is a very good player and still has lots to offer ... Monk sitting down with Radri today, so we should see some transfer action soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Monk knows we need a striker so think he has someone in mind, but we will have to hope he can do the deal and the player in question is of a standard we agree with <laugh> Stories about the midfielder from Norwich Sergio Canos, not good enough for them so why would he fit into our team? also stories about someone in Germany who Monk chased when at Swansea who may well be available (Stuttgart I think, European midfielder)

15. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Rest in peace Graham Taylor

davy, Eireleeds1 and ristac like this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

RIP Graham Taylor, except when you were England manager, you were always a kind, polite, well informed good guy. Will be missed and Watford was put on the map because of you

Eireleeds1 and BoggersMOT like this.
  17. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Indeed Bucks.

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  18. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Could have been the burgers at HT:grin:

19. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Not hijacking this thread but don't know where else to say this. Will only post once on this and will leave it (unless questioned).

Had a PM telling me there is a thread going on about bullying and I have been mentioned in length in one post.

All I want to say is I never was a member of JA and certainly didn't follow anyone here. I read both but when I decided to have a go at posting, I just preferred this site (for clarity I was very briefly a member of the old BBC site but never really took to it).

When I started LL was fairly prolific in his posting and I discussed / argued / skirmished with him. Couldn't deal with his style of posting so put him on ignore - haven't the time for ongoing battles and many of his posts are very long. He is the only person I have ever put on ignore.

Pondered not saying anything but took exception to two points - I am not a bully, I despise it. If anyone wants to check they will see clearly LL & I gave and took equally. I did not put him on ignore because he found me out etc - I found him tiresome. More importantly, I have never tried to get anyone to follow me (believe LOL was mentioned). That is just bollox and, frankly, disrespectful to those accused.

It must be nearly two years ago I used the ignore function and can't believe this is ongoing - would rather just chat with many fantastic posters on here.

Finally, I have posted this here because I cannot see / access the original thread.

20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Well said Marcus.......<ok>

Marcos Barber likes this.