1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Pablo Hernandez could sign a two year permanent deal as early as today.

Thoughts?

please log in to view this image

Chris Hughton won the Manager of the month award.

Surprise, surprise!!!

And on this day in 2003....

please log in to view this image

This was of course following Bowyer and Woodgates' 'incident outside the Majestyk nightclub.

Bowyer fell out with Leeds shortly after the trial due to the fines that were imposed on him.

Should we have done more to try to keep him.

The one thing that really bothers me about the Bowyer incident are the newspapers, and I'm not just talking about the papers printing the victim's father's thoughts that it was a racially motivated attack.

I'm talking about a certain newspaper ringing up every other club in the Prem, and asking them if they would ever sign Bowyer after being mixed up in this mess. Every club sent a statement basically saying 'Never'.

He then signed to West Ham, Newscastle etc.....

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, Bowyer was part of a great team that made me want to spend money and travel up the M1 he was part of a team that gave it all and were a joy to watch.

The press had too much power back then, I think more people now take the newspaper stories with a pinch of salt.

Irishshako and Farsleyexile like this.
  3. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning Elland. Hernandez signing a 2 year contract is the first step in Monk's effort to finally turn round the cr%p of the past and finally move this club forward.

On Bowyer, dilligaf? It's history. Bowyer was a decent player who put in a shift. But it didn't come without issues. All best left in the past

4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, he was the catalyst of the team back then. Should we have done more to keep him do you think?

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Boggers, indeed, but if you look at footballers baggage generally, they all have some...

7. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Some do Elland. Its part of what makes them stand out. The increase in money in the game doesn't help.

ellandback likes this.
  8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Bowyer and woody were great players for us but we may have been better off if neither had pulled on a Leeds shirt. All history now. Genuine question. I'm seeing people on various media saying Radz has an option to buy the remaining 50% shares in June nobody has yet been able to provide a link to that. Best I can find is Rad hoped Cellino would sell remaining shares. Good to see first of contracts being tied up quickly. No surprise Hughton won manager of month. Read this morning Brighton have only lost seven games in 18 months under him. Some record

9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, here's a clippet from @philHay.

His share purchase agreement with Cellino gives Radrizzani an option to take the 60-year-old’s remaining stake at the end of this season. The exact terms of that deal will be reviewed then and most likely dictated by United’s league status. Cellino had himself owned 100 per cent of the club for less than six months since acquiring GFH’s minority shareholding in September but GFH’s overdue exit made a future sale of the club more feasible and less complicated.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....izzani-pitches-in-for-the-long-term-1-8317823

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

June will see Cellino vanish for good & Rad will buy the remaining 50%, so the reality of this 'investment' is that its a takeover. Apparently Rad has been around since last June and already has cash invested and instrumental in Monk. Cellino is trying to save face when saying he has brought Rad in to add a lot to the board etc, but reality is that he will be banned next month and gone by June end of.

Lee Bowyer was great for us and fit right into the kids theme we had going. He was however a nutter and if he hadnt have gone out that night I dont think the club would have imploded. Woody dragged into it and then the other kid who had to turn evidence, wow it was shyte and then DoL wrote that book, when the wheels had already come off and we were struggling due to dressing room upset and bad press

BillysStatue likes this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Doc, think the other lad was Tony Hackworth. Then there was Dubes who lied for Woodgate...

12. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

I thought it was Duberry who testified against the others and caused a bit of a kerfuffle, but it was a long time ago and my memory's not that great.

Whitejock and Irishshako like this.
  13. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Ok. Gives him option but does that guarantee Cellino must sell if Rad takes up the option. Probably all irrelevant if Rads been responsible for all the good stuff, itll be more or less guaranteed to continue

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Eire the stuff I've seen stipulates that June sees Cellino gone with a pricing matrix all down to promotion or not. 2 prices 1 price if we dont and a bigger price if we do.

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Murphy gone out on loan to Burton Albion to the end of the season. Thanks Murphy you were a promising million quid playwr who didnt deliver mate, wish you had

16. Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins Well-Known Member

Bowyer was my favourite player from that era, he epitomised everything we were about. He always said something had gone on behind the scenes but he was never allowed to reveal it, I've always wondered what that was. We should definitely have done more, that season we were in the CL he was the best English midfielder in the country.

The reason we imploded was obviously Ridsdale and the money, but O'Leary is as much to blame for writing a book about 2 of your best players whilst in the middle of a season....how naive must you be?

17. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I know this was directed at Boggers, but I loved the lads workrate and attitude and the nasty streak he had. Maybe the club should have treated him better, but the use of the racist card is so easily used and especially by certain ethnic groups. In saying that maybe he didn't like pakis, but I'm not sure it's ever been proven.<ok>

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  18. Irishshako

They certainly do Elland..Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, Alexander Mc Queen etc etc:grin:

LeedsLover and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  19. Irishshako

Good comments Mr Hopkins.......<ok>

20. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

This wasn't the only incident though was it Shaks ? I seem to remember at least one other occasion when he'd been arrested or at least accused of other stuff (obviously not as bad as this one). Something to do with smashing up a Mcdonalds springs to mind.