1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Garry Monk remains a steady 28/1 to take the helm at struggling Swansea, but with the best will in the World, what they need is a miracle, and unfortunately Christmas has passed.

Any Manager looking at the situation at the Liberty Stadium have to take into consideration that they are a Championship team in waiting.

Surely (at the moment) the Managers position at Elland Road sounds a more attractive proposition?

Agree?

How much do the Swans miss Kyle Bartley, if at all?

Can't believe how the Celebrities have been dropping like flies over the Christmas period.

Rick Parfitt from Status Quo, George Michael and Carrie Fisher have joined a long list of well known faces like Terry Wogan, David Bowie, Victoria Wood, Alan Rickman, David Gest, Prince and Paul Daniels to name but a few.

Most of these familiar faces have died relatively young.

Have just heard that Liz Smith (Nana from the Royle Family and Richard Adams (Author of Watership Down) have also passed in the last 48 hours.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning Elland. Can't see Monk being tempted back to Swansea as Leeds have a more than even chance to pass the Swans when we get promoted.

I agree on the celebs. Terrible year. Let's hope 2017 is a lot more positive.

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, Swansea fans were glad to see the back of Monk, they were under the conclusion his first year success was Laudrups team and second season he was responsible for their collapse. They also gave a lot of credit to his coaching staff rather than him.

I'm not taking an opinion on what went wrong at Swansea because I really don't care but the fans probably don't want him back. A scattering of ex managers always get linked via the betting shops when a job becomes vacant. Grayson does with us each time we're seeking a new guy.

Celebrities passing away, take out the older ones and any suffering from the dreaded C word and you can't help but wonder if years of abusing your body with excess and drugs has caught up with some.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Boggers, well said...

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, would be interesting to find out how many of them would want Monk back. Be even more interesting how many of them miss Bartley?

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As I get older I'm more convinced that it is more about chemistry and right place at the right time. So many good defenders have failed with us, but done well at their new clubs. Swansea were laughing at Leeds getting Monk and thought taking Bartley was hilarious but look at them both now.

Leicester got everything just perfectly right last season, they will never repeat that, it has nothing to do with opposition knowing what they are about, Leicester had that perfect chemistry, it was all right place at the right time for them.

Howard Wilkinson, when he took us to the title we would have all given him a 10 year contract, when he got the sack there probably wasn't a Leeds fan on earth that disagreed it was time to go and he hasn't done anything worthy of note since that.

Next week we need to see if we can secure Bartley and Jansson and make a decision on Taylor and his possible replacement, if it is to be Berardi we need another CB as reserve. Shift out a couple like Erwin, Murphy or Mowatt and snap up anyone who will make a difference.

7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Morning Elland, I'm only here because you invited us on the Swans Board, so I'm not wumming!

Monk had a great first season for us (including doubles over Arsenal and Man U) taking us to our highest position in the Prem. Some people say it was Laudrups team, but Monk still managed them for a year. The second season started brightly but went pear shaped and we were hurtling at a rate of knots towards the Championship.

Should Monk have been sacked? Yes, in my opinion as he didn't seem able to recover the position.
    Would I want him back? No. I don't believe in going over old ground and there are too many issues within the Club.
    Would Monk want to come back? He's got a free rein at Leeds, is doing well and has the chance to manage a big club in the Premiership if things go well for the rest of the season.

Kyle Bartley. Kyle is a good footballer but struggled in the Premiership. Even with his height players like Carroll would murder him as he hasn't got the physicality. He also made silly, costly mistakes. I was sorry to see him go as he played with a smile on his face, he's probably too nice a person to make it at the highest level!

Leeds now have a manager who is probably more rounded than when he joined the Swans. He has played at all levels in England, has managed in the Premiership and Championship as well as European football in the Europa Cup. He has worked under Brendan Rodgers and Michael Laudrup and has the experience of being sacked. You have a young, hungry manager with plenty of experience who has experienced winning at Old Trafford, the Emirates Stadium and Anfield.

Your chairman nearly sacked him after 6 games!

8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Monk stabbed as many in the back as he could to get his wish of managing us , then systematically destroyed everything we had build over the past decade or so because he knew better, he dismantled possibly the best squad of technically gifted players we had because of perceived personal vendettas .it wasn't all his fault Jenkins allowed him free rein because he came cheap.He may have learned to be bit more humble and fair play he seems to have turned your car crash of a club around and who knows where he'll lead you and with the supporting staff of Beattie and Cloet he's done well .
    Bartley is a good Championship player but has lapses in concentration or is prone to stupid mistakes which will/has been punished by "better" players in the PL. good luck to him though ,maybe he'll come back to us a more improved all round player , we'll see <whistle>

9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Good morning all from a beautiful county Clare. Down here for annual xmas family get together. Lovely way to round off the xmas and extra little man with us this year. Can't see Monk going anywhere this season as long as we're in contention. He's currently at probably the biggest club he will ever manage so why leave. Agree with others it's not just down to him though. Cellino Clotet and his backroom staff have all contributed to where we now are. A quality squad with no journeymen or hasbeens and a fair mix of quality up and coming young talent. Great time to be a Leeds fan. Even the odd time we lose a game you know next win is just around the corner unlike past few seasons

Farsleyexile, ristac and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning PGF, you're always welcome.

Many thanks for your input.

PGFWhite likes this.

11. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

such a shame to see bitter Swans talking tripe about Monk .. nothing he has done at Leeds shows him to be a back stabbing, dishonourable person .. I think it was more of a problem with big heads in the Swans dressing room with foreign players who wanted paella an sunshine once other clubs came calling .. bottom line is Jenkins panicked because he wanted to sell the club, and now Swansea will drop down to the Championship and never return to the Prem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning MB, blimey, I would not have thought Monk was a back stabber.

Clotet seems to be doing a good job for us behind the scenes. He has sources a defender called Jansson for us which has been amazing for us. He and Bartley have been amazing at the centre of our defence.

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, Oh yes, County Clare. It has 15th-century Bunratty Castle and its folk park reenact medieval-era banquets there.

upload_2016-12-28_11-32-53.jpeg

14. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

So they finally kicked you out of Meath.........:grin: Morning Eire..<ok>

15. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Is that worse than them kicking you out of wetherspoons?

ellandback likes this.
  16. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I'll be able to get back into Weatherspoons :grin:

I should have said, yes very similar.................both places are **** holes.........:wink:

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  17. Eireleeds1

I agree totally. Luckily I live in Westmeath <laugh>

Irishshako likes this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Yep. Heading to Bunratty castle in a few minutes. Was there in the summer, a terrific spot

ellandback likes this.
  19. Jokeren1943

Jokeren1943 Member

Monk destroyed Swanseas unique possession style of football and replaced with an ordinary boring defensive counterattacking style played by all the bottom-midtabel teams in PL.

A unique style and club identity which is now lost forever.

Monk back, no thanx. I would rather see ice melt.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  20. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

You will always find some bitter posters on all club forums.. I think Gary Monk was well thought of as a player and captain by most Swans fans. At the end of his time as manager here our football had become defensive and lump ball and it was felt he had lost the dressing room. The problem was that moving from being a player straight to being a manager at the same club is not easy. At Leeds he hasn't got this problem and from what I've seen on the box he has you playing positive, attractive football. Would I have him back? Perhaps in the future but not in our current predicament, frankly it wouldn't be fair on him.

As for Kyle Bartley raw, inexperienced at prone to silly, costly errors. Not PL level when with us and at a time when Arsenal had defensive problems obviously not rated by Wenger as he sold him to us. If he can cut out his errors he might make it and hope so for his sake.

Finally it would be good to see Leeds back in the PL but please not at our expense