1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The boys are back in town!!!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, May 31, 2011.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

The boys of '81 back in Town marking 30 years since that wonderful achievement in Amsterdam. Unfortunately we will never see another talented squad of footballers of this ilk at Portman Road not all at the same time.

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-...ghts_and_early_starts_for_boys_of_81_1_907586

A truly incredible achievement by a small provincial unfashionable club like Ipswich Town to beat some of the best teams in Europe of that era and lifting the EUFA cup. This will not be repeated again certainly not in my life time and I salute these boys for bringing us Ipswich fans some wonderful football and terrific memories. The only sadness was not having Sir Bobby there to share in this great celebration to mark the magnificent victory that he masterminded.

The Budgies may crow about us living in the past but believe me if they had achieved what this wonderful team did over that particular season and indeed throughout the 70s and early 80s they would be wallowing in nostalgia too! They can only celebrate not winning the FA Cup back in 1959!

Much of the romance in football has long since died and in a world where the chequebook dictates success we are one of the many victims that this brave new world has created.

Apparantly PJ couldn't make the dinner due to him being on official club business. I just hope that means that he's busy on the transfer front!

2. Tractor Tim

Tractor Tim Member

Happy days! Great photo too - some have certainly aged better than others!!!

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Paul Jewell is a man who understands more than anyone who didn't pull on the blue shirt or cheer from the Portman Road terraces those histories of the club. He knows John Wark from his own playing days. Not since George Burley have I felt that we have a man capable of seeing beyond 'getting promoted' and 'staying in the Premier League'.