1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The board meeting

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, May 27, 2017.

1. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

As I said I was being flippant, but Utd and City both do what Arsenal have been reluctant to do previously, which is throw extortionate amounts of money at players. How this will play out for next season will be partly down to Wenger's stubbornness, he seems to have been reluctant to pay over the odds before.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I can understand why he has been reluctant to pay over the odds, he basically oversaw Arsenal's move to the Emirates, which was based on the prudence of his transfer policy and the good results that he brought, which in turn brought in the money to finance the stadium. Trouble is nowdays, if you want to compete with City, Chelsea and Utd, you have to match their spending. Chelsea opened Pandora's box with the oil money, and there's no going back unfortunately.

3. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

What about spurs an liverpool? will players pick them over us, we can certainly pay more than spurs, and liverpool have reduced there wage bill. if spurs offer a player 70k a week and CL football and we offer the same player 100K a week, what offer will he take? he may take the spurs one, but certainly not every player will. Therefore the CL is not the decisive factor.

4. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

I'm not sure if you're asking me or telling me with your reply?
    If you believe lack of CL won't harm your chances, then fine I'm not going to argue. Personally I think that until the Wenger issue is sorted, combined with lack of CL, you may struggle to attract the top drawer players. In fact I would go on to say, that keeping hold of some of your better players could be just as challenging as attracting new.

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

The issue of attracting players won't be an issue if we don't go in for them. Even with no CL football we still have a lot of pulling power and potential. Money is king and we have enough to draw in big names.

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The whole CL thing about attracting players is bollocks made up by players justifying wanting to move to supporters.
    Do you really think a player is going to sign 3/5 years of his life to a team that has made the CL twice in the last 10 years ahead of a team that has missed it once in 20 years?
    It's a great get out with supporters to say you want CL but, being realistic if that was your reason for choosing a club, you would want one that more or less guaranteed it for the length of your contract not just for a possible 6 game stint.
    The only teams that fall into this category at the moment are Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern and so far Arsenal.

7. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

funny how UTD win FA cup in 2015/2016, yet deemed as not good enough and we sacked the manager ...
    other big clubs did the same too, sacking their managers despite wining the cup

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Winning trophies is what should be the end goal of the club. I think what pieguts is essentially saying and what most of us neutral fans who like to think they know a thing or two about football is that as long as wenger is the head of the team, we don't see arsenal challenging.

He was fantastic at the start of his career and was a pioneer. Nowadays he is just a stubborn old goat and all the advantages his pioneer ways had have been replicated across the spectrum (player diets, scouting, transfer ability, money for average clubs).

If wenger stays and the inaction of the board is because of the fa cup win, then anyone who sees wenger as the problem can see he is the curse.

I would be more than happy to bet with you piskie that wenger doesnt finish within 10 points of the leaders next year as that is par for the course for wenger nowadays.

I dont even need to see what transfers you bring in,

1 youth midfielder from french ligue 2.
    Gem of an up and coming 19 year old who was top scorer for the youth team
    1 oversees asian player
    1 last minute 15m striker who wont play on the bench
    1 last minute high value but average player to appease the crowd after the first loss

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Don't disagree with any of that. I guess as Arsenal fans, that's why we want to see some changes this summer

10. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I have to rate your coolness in all this. I'm annoyed as hell with all the inaction of the Board and Management.

I wish @BobbyD was wrong but we all know what will happen this summer transfer window. Feck all like the rest of them. But this time feck all will happen in the league and we'll end up with the same toxic environmental.

11. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Tuschel has just left Dortmund - wasn't he touted as a possible replacement to Wenger

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

What else realistically could they have done though ? Unless they'd been negotiating with Allgeri or Simeone from the beginning of last season, then there was no way that they would have been able to pull a rabbit out of the hat and replace Wenger with another top class manager this summer.

Like you though, I want to see some tangible efforts being made this transfer window to bring in some top talent along the lines of Sanchez and Ozil, no more dithering around and then signing a Sanogo on a free. This is nothing new, I've been saying this for years. Hopefully the **** storm this season has sharpened their focus though, because if we have another **** transfer window and go into the new season unprepared and have some bad results, the **** storm is going to wind up all over again.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Tuchel says hello.

Now i'm not saying he's proven himself to be the next best thing but he doesn't look bad at all and has Dortmund punching above their weight in Europe, playing nice attractive football with some great up and coming young players and is pretty young and works well in a modern structured director of football type club.

Plus he'd bring fresh ideas.

Surely better than the dictatorship that Wenger runs.

I guess we'll see this next March (maybe even sooner after the transfer window closes)

pieguts likes this.
  14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Thanks but no thanks. Had quite a good look at Tuchel when it was mooted earlier in the season that he might join us. Not good enough in my opinion and not really an improvement on Wenger to be honest.