1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The beginning of the End

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Delusional Full Stop, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

PSG by signing Neymar reported to be breaking transfer World record fee of £93M by Man Utd for Pogba by paying £193M and said that deal worth £450M when wages and bonuses included.

Can football sustain those sort of figures? How much would Messi or Ronaldo be said to be worth? Can't help but go for that old cliche of the amounts being talked about just being plain obscene. Yes he may be one of the best footballers in the World. Yes, he may be in the "entertainment" industry. But no way is he worth that sort of amount.

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the player. Who wouldn't accept the amounts if offered them. Yes PSG may be looking to recover the monies through marketing but it's just not right and, for me, sums up all that's wrong in football and Society today. How can someone who after all is only playing football be able to be paid those sort of sums in contrast to Doctors carrying out life saving surgery or Presidentsor Prime Ministers tasked with leading a Country. Just makes my stomach turn.

anyobrien and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  2. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

I blame Sky and all the advertising slags like coca cola and Adidas that mean the ridiculous fee will probably be made back on merchandising. Bet we're saying this same time next year when the records smashed again.

I also blame Tim Krul for laughing with Defoe after he'd scored past him in the Derby, ****.

anyobrien likes this.
  3. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

The football world went crazy a long time ago.

4. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

I don't mind crazy, I mean being a Toon fan, it helps but this...

It strengthens my hope that the Sky bubble bursts sooner rather than later before it destroys the foundations of football when there is too big a gap between top level football and grass roots football with top level football sucking the soul out of football for ever. It may seem OTT and perhaps it is but I try to watch football at different levels and just think how many grass roots football teams that money would support or even how many Division 2 Clubs that money would help instead of going to two Clubs (Barca and PSG) one player (Neymar) and one Agent (Neymar's dad).

It also sticks in the craw when it follows a news story where Neymar's agent, his dad, picked up £23.5M for persuading Neymar to sign a new contract with Barca just last October. No doubt Barca don't mind as it probably helped get them that fee but £23.5M for what? What did Neymar senior do that Barca couldn't have agreed with Neymar himself, well except to pay an agent £23.5M for absolutely nothing.

Rant over for now.

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  5. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Football lost its soul many moons ago.

Thankfully, we have the adorable Mr Ashley to keep our feet firmly cemented in the ground.

God bless you Mikey....<ok>

6. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

In Mike we trust.

Heed likes this.
  7. Dorty Dogbreath

I don't see the bubble bursting though, its just going to get more and more obscene. God knows what the transfer fees and salaries will be in five or ten years time if things continue as they are.

8. Dorty Dogbreath

It looks like its the beginning on the end for Niall Quinn as a commentator for sky. He's left them to pursue interests elsewhere, so it seems.

Thank god, cant stand him.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Blacker-than-Knight likes this.
  9. ToonJam

ToonJam Member

I have decided to cancel my sky sports subscription firstly the cost is ridiculous secondly I don't want to give them anymore money when it goes towards feeding this greedy monster that is now football. £198 million for a footballer is outrageous then you have the wages these footballers are earring it's disgusting. The sooner this bubble bursts the better for everyone.

10. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Seriously, you must be mad.

You'll regret it when you can't watch the likes of the Pro Kabaddi League.

ToonJam likes this.

11. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

Clearly Pardew is to blame for all of this. :emoticon-0121-angry .............. **** you Pards!!

J. J. McClure likes this.
  12. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

It's not the end of anything, I'm afraid. Football is the world's biggest sport, always has been, always will be. China's birth on the scene widens the audience, the US is still trying.

Put it into context; the guy who paid the money has toilet paper worth more. It's a sneeze to Qatar, it's impossibly small, it's a fiver to you and me. He did it by giving Neymar a job - Qatari World Cup Ambassador - and paying him £200m. Neymar gives said £200m to Barca to pay his buy-out clause. FFP avoided, Neymar signs for PSG "for free", picks up £650k a week. Again, small change to Qatar and - frankly - none of our business, it's not our money. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook - these guys have infinitely more money than we do and aren't doing anything for it, so you can't hate it or think it's going to disappear, it's not.

The thing about the world is this - it's about content, and delivery. It's like saying Game Of Thrones and it's huge budget is going to break entertainment and TV. It's not, it'll evolve and something else will come along. Football keeps providing content and always will. The mechanism for delivery will evolve, but the money will remain. It may not come from Sky, but YouTube will pay, Facebook will pay. Football will evolve into a mobile-deliverable solution at the time of a game. We'll be able to, at 3pm, get Wi-Fi somewhere and watch the match on our OLED iPhone X once the Sky deal expires. You'll see it via your mobile provider, and either the clubs app or YouTube, depending who wants rights. You'll pay a couple of quid a match. Multiply that "couple of quid" by the sheer number of people who could and would watch, and bingo, the money just rolls right in even without Sky, or BT, or whoever.

The only thing that really grates isn't the money, isn't Qatar, isn't Neymar - it's the media representation! It's none of our business what is paid by who to whom. It's got nowt to do with us. But to think football is going to disappear? Nah. It'll change, a bit faster than before, but the 90 minutes bit? That'll be the exact same.

13. Dorty Dogbreath

£200million?

And to think there are people out there who will break your legs or mine for fifty quid <laugh>

14. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Fifty quid!!!!!
    Greedy bastards,I'll do it for £30 and throw an arm in for nowt.

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  15. Dorty Dogbreath

<laugh>

Make it two arms and I will hire you Jim.

Are you any good at chucking acid around? Those bazzards in London aren't even charging, they're doing it for fun.

16. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Agree with most of what you are saying.

If you think football isn't disappearing though then you're not watching football at grass roots level where it is disappearing. Not necessarily down to Sky etc but the rich are getting richer but the poor aren't getting poorer they're going bankrupt. The base upon which the PL is based is getting smaller and a lot of it is down to the greed at the top level and the failure to share football's fortunes more fairly. It's the blinkered view that football if what it is today due to the PL and the Champions League. It's not, it's due to the large base which gives the source from which the best reach the PL. Get rid of the base which is what is happening now and the quality of football will fall. Take out real competition and the hope and prospect of winning games and trophies and the fan loses interest. Make the game to global and less connected to the local communities and again the fans will lose interest. Would you want to support Manchester City in the European League representing the North of England, I know I won't.

Ignore the fan in the stadium and the game loses the atmosphere at games. Lose the atmosphere at the match and it becomes less of an interesting tv spectacle.

I agree football isn't dying soon and the bubble isn't going to burst any time soon but I can dream

17. Dorty Dogbreath

I don't even respect anyone winning any trophies any more (well, apart from Leicester innit).

The trophies are nearly always bought, and by mostly foreign owners and their foreign managers and players. Their is little promotion from within clubs, youngsters struggle to get a game.

Take the fa cup, it hardly matters who wins it, it plays a massive second fiddle to the premier league and the champions league. This is mainly down to the money...surprise, surprise.

18. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Things not 100% rosy on the Chinese front though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...per-league-clubs-face-expulsion-unpaid-debts/

19. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

20. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

It's only irrelevant at a certain level and I agree that people who potentially could be classed as "consumers" not "fans" will always want yo watch big name stars regardless of club affiliation etc

So, effectively one of two things happens

1 - the bubble bursts and a number of those big clubs go to the wall because they've gambled their existence on buying buyers names at bigger prices

2 - it doesn't burst and ultimately those clubs band together and form their Global Mega League (now copyrighted by me) and the remaining clubs are left to scratch around trying to survive on the crumbs left behind.

Either way, the game that most of us grew up watching is disappearing rapidly....