1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Arts Thread (Paintings, Music etc)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Born 22 December 1960 in Brooklyn, Jean-Michel Basquiat, the painter, would spend most of his 27 years of life in the cerebral fast lane. He could read and write by age four. Fluently speak French, Spanish and English at eleven. In his teen years he'd see his mother committed to mental institutions and would be banished by his father, all before he'd passed his fifteenth year on earth. Heroin would take his life on 12 August 1988. He left one hell of a legacy.

The painting below just went for US$110.5 million. Yusaku Maezawa is the gentleman who bought the piece.

please log in to view this image

2. Cyclonic

Bernard Manning. <laugh>

3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Something sinister to liven-up a quiet Sunday, Tom Lehrer's "The Masochism Tango", etc. <laugh>:

Thought of sticking this on The Politics Thread, but that would hardly be Cricket...........

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. Cyclonic

Catch It. 2016 Oscar Nomination.

5. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Cyc; as my resident technical adviser I would be forever grateful if, in advance of a shock result in 'ye olde vote' on Thursday you could upload Jeremy by Pearl Jam to the 'Politics' thread. I will then append some lighthearted nonsense to irritate some of our co-posters.

I was successful once or twice with this NASA level technology however since I remain in recovery mode following a twelve day bender in Gay Pareeee my bonce is not registering the steps required from 'youtube' onwards!

Cheers and my profound thanks in advance.

6. Cyclonic

Here ya' go mate.

redcgull likes this.
  7. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Cheers Cyc; at least we might have a decent ditty frequently played on the wireless!

The young Mr Corbyn bears a striking resemblance to Damien from the remake of The Omen!

Fabulous sequence about 31/2 minutes in where the school class are in full 'good ol' USA' stance and there are a few frames of them giving the Nazi salute.

8. SwanHills

9. SwanHills

Dinah Washington - "September In The Rain":

Cyclonic likes this.
  10. Cyclonic

Had to go to YouTube, an amazing woman.

11. SwanHills

Yes, Cyc, have to go to YouTube quite a lot with forum recommendations, but it usually works. I was careful (for a change) with this, but I do think Dinah Washington's is the definitive version of "September In The Rain". Listened to about six or seven versions before posting. Jo Stafford's (lovely person) voice is so mellow that sometimes I can barely understand her! <laugh>

As an unrequested encore :emoticon-0101-sadsm, here's Dinah singing "What A Difference A Day Makes". Fine jazz voice, and what superb diction too:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  12. Cyclonic

The Toots and the Maytals' classic In The Dark. A song about the darkness of a life without the love God.

13. Cyclonic

The Killer.

14. Cyclonic

Jerry Lee and John Fogerty, with some famous faces in the background.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  15. Cyclonic

The wonderful Tim Finn fronting Split Enz in the 1979 classic, I See Red. It was recorded at Ringo Starr's Starling Studios, where the engineer who liked the band donated his time for free. The reason the song stops so suddenly was because they ran out of tape, it turned out to be a brilliant ending.

16. SwanHills

Just watching ITV's coverage of Royal Ascot, and the inevitable fashions, when they showed some of the best dresses and hat creations (with prices!). It was the background music that blew my mind. Shirley Bassey and "Diamonds Are Forever"; what a voice and what a great piece of music for a film:

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Ah Goldfinger ..................... one of my favourite Bond films. I particularly like this opening scene with John Barry's big band sound - very evocative, perfect soundtrack to the (for the time) exotic shots of Miami

18. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

My god Radiohead were mind numbing at Glastonbury! I just don't get this band. Pablo Honey and The Bends their first two albums were great great albums then the rest is just a depressing noise (karma police excluded, great tune)

SaveTheHumans and beeforsalmon like this.
  19. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Agree smokey, Radioheads The Bends was one of my fav albums of all time and coincidentally I've actually been listening to them in the car this last week or so but after OK Computer they kind of went up their own arses a bit too far for my liking. Must dig out OK Computer again, maybe it's not as decent as my 20 year odd memory thinks it might be... god doesn't time fly :emoticon-0138-think

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  20. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I couldn't get into OK Computer. I've tried again recently to see what the fuss is about but apart from the odd track it just does nothing for me. The Bends, i love and funnily enough i've also just recently put it back on my phone to listen to in the car.