1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I know the Island actually has a Monster Raving Loony Party candidate so maybe we should all vote with them. <laugh>

2. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

BRB......it is a 'cheap' alternative to road policing. These bollards are designed to be 'passive' traffic calming without the need for a robust Road Traffic Policing system whereby those who abide by the law do not suffer these intrusions and can continue on their 'safe' way and the transgressors get dealt with.
    As a result...all suffer and if the bollards don't get you, as you say, the pot holes will. A bit of a 'hobby horse' of mine.

3. WINDYROG

A Gillingham version of the 'Irish' BOGOFF......'three for the price of five'... ;-)

alwaysright likes this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

It's quite a common thing to see, you also have to be watchful of the giant economy size, they often cost more than 2 small items of the same product.
    Asda once had 100ml bottles of Zoflora at 98p or 200ml at £2, that situation lasted for 18 months.

WINDYROG likes this.
  5. WINDYROG

It's sad I know....but it's the same with many things on sale....just check out the price per kilo or per Ltr on the labels in small print....."Every little helps' as we're told.....

grumpygit likes this.
  6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Another con over wait/measure that people miss is milk, some shops sell 4 pints (2.27ltr) for a £1, other shops have 2ltr for a £1.
    Then there's the pound shops where you see all sorts of bargains, that is until you look at the weight, same size box but less in it.

7. brb

brb CR250

The biggest con for me has always been selling fuel in litres rather than gallons, the younger generation really does not know what that price increase really means, especially at motorway service areas where it is always more expensive.

grumpygit likes this.
  8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

And another thing that winds me up is idiots that spell weight as wait.
    :headbang:
    how embarrassing, and not even one I can blame on spellchecker, especially as I spelt it right a few words later.
    :emoticon-0111-blush

9. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Don't get me started on the lack of grammar we see these days!

There, they're and their are all different words people, don't use the same one all the time as it doesn't make grammatical sense! The same applies to your and you're! People please use the apostrophe in we're to refer to we are, when you don't use this you're then referring to a past tense word meaning something completely different!

One last thing, people need to learn how to spell definitely correctly. It's not Definately or definetly and it's certainly not defiantly that's another word in itself!

The increasing lack of poor grammar on a daily basis frustrates the hell out of me so people type correctly! Rant over, blame @grumpygit!

10. brb

brb CR250

Looks like I'm in trouble again where's, we're, my beer, i ain't got time to mess about it's difinately mine, i reckon your asking for trouble if yer, yur, you're nicked it your a pikey beer <laugh><laugh><laugh>

The Gills PegLeg likes this.

11. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb's application to the Jeremy Kyle show................... FAILED, do to being too articulate.

brb likes this.
  12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Please start a new football season, or at the very least sign a player our two before I go completely insane.
    I'm sitting here on a Saturday morning thinking about water, yes that's right! not the upcoming match but water. Why am I thinking about water you may well ask, it's the price: how can the water company charge me so much a meter to supply water, then charge double that to take the same water back again?
    Tomorrow instead of checking all the results and tables I will be considering the plight of the Abyssinian mosquito.

13. alwaysright

Do you mean 'meter' ( measuring instrument ) ................ how much water can you fit in your meter ?
    Do you mean 'mater' ( a form of address for a mother )....how much water can you fit in your mother ?
    Do you mean 'Mitre' ( headwear for a Bishop )................ how much water can you fit in a Bishop's hat ?
    Do you mean 'moter' ( a device used in preparing cotton ).. how much water etc.
    Do you mean ' metre ' ( 39 and a bit inches ) ?

I didn't start all the grammatical correctness in this forum !

The problem with the Abyssinian mosquito is that it is reliant on a water source for the purposes of spawning. The Abyssinian mosquito population have a dispute with their water supplier, and have refused to accept water meters.They claim it is unfair. One mosquito is very upset , saying that she won't be able to afford to fill up an old discarded Bishop's Mitre that she has installed into her bathroom. Her baby mosquitoes splash happily at bath time, shouting " Mater, more water" ! Mrs Mosquito says she will have to do more hours at the Cotton Mill to pay for the increased price for a metre of stuff that comes down for free !

14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

As I wrote that piece from America my spelling is totally correct when describing a unit of measure...ok I'm in my front room and I've just got dyslexic fingers.
    I was in fact describing a cubic metre of water which is the standard chargeable unit of water in the UK. (as you well know)

15. alwaysright

What was the point ?

Today I watched Pointless on BBC1. The contestants all introduce themselves. One of the girls is wearing a name tag with 'HOLLY' written on it. She then gives her full name .... " Holly, May, Gillingham Football Club rules, Jasmin" !!!!! I'm surprised that Holly, May GFC r etc didn't win by default - with everyone else needing to change their clothing after wetting themselves with laughter.

Mrs. alwayright said that if I had registered our first boy with stupid middle names, I wouldn't have been in a position to father any more children.

16. alwaysright

You can tell it's not 'football season' - when I come out with this sort of rubbish......

You must have seen the Argos advert on TV - where they claim that if you order by 6pm today you will receive the goods today -- Yet these adverts are still being broadcast at 7, 8,9, 10 o'clock at night !! -- all promising delivery that day, ( provided that you somehow manage to travel back in time to order by 6 pm ). The adverts after 6 pm are a bit like Holly's middle names - pointless !

Of course, even if you do order by 6pm, exactly what time that day will you receive the goods ? 11.59 pm ?? -- it's happened to me -- not funny when you're tucked up and fast asleep............ " did you want a tip driver? " -- " Well, here's a tip - try delivering at a more sensible time."

17. WINDYROG

Yep....also feel sorry for the driver probably on a minimum wage and being harried by unrealistic delivery schedules and 'bullying' management. My son worked for two companies, a well know bed retail outlet who were very poor and a supermarket (every little helps) where there is an ongoing court case against them

There are two sides to every story and at least these drivers are out there working ...not sitting on their butts.

18. brb

brb CR250

I think there is a big underlying issue with van drivers in compared to say Lorry or Coach drivers, basically there is no measure of the amount of hours they drive or rest breaks they take. Basically a van driver can drive 12 hours none stop and no questions will be asked until the driver kills someone, not that it will make a lot of difference, because what ever penalty is served will not change legislation, so it will continue to happen.

Obviously companies have responsibilities and there is the European working regulations, but there is no outright measure on the vehicles themselves, apart from now we are seeing limiters on some vans, but that is only controlling maximum speed, nothing to do with measuring the alertness of the driver.

19. WINDYROG

The only way forward would be to ensure that all commercial vehicles were subject to driver's hours legislation and the fitment of tachographs. However, at the moment all drivers, including reps, are at the behest of their management.

20. brb

brb CR250

I find it very strange when it comes to government legislation. The powers that be have managed to clone the public in to a way of agreeing that smoking will kill you, however, when it comes to vehicles, that same public over look the fact that driving standards are careless boardering on reckless at times, and more likely to take a life in an instance.

Even with all the modern day technology, nothing has changed with car and van drivers - it's like with mobile phones let's be honest most drivers flouted the law and risked an accident....yet if I lit up a cig in a bar there would be uproar, the irony of the human mind!

grumpygit likes this.