1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The 2017 We're all going on a summer holiday thread.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Ernie Shackleton, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

We've spent a lot of time in Florence over the past fifteen or so years - you're right about Fiesole for great views. Other good places in easy range of Pisa airport include Lucca and, if you're a fan of the Amalfi/Sorrento area, Portovenere and the Cinque Terre are similar but smaller and quieter with excellent swimming.
    Closer to home, Bamburgh has already been mentioned and Runswick Bay (just north of Whitby) is fabulous.
    So many ace places to visit - fitting them in between City's games gets harder by the year.

2. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a busy schedule for your trip to Canada Brisbane but if you do have any time to fill in we're just a 30 minute seaplane ride ($80) from downtown Vancouver on Salt Spring Island and would love to get together with you and the wife in one of the most beautiful places in Canada. Contact me on here if interested. Cheers...CT.

3. OedipusTex

OedipusTex Well-Known Member

The deserts of Arizona and New Mexico are beautiful to drive through. Bakersfield and eastern California? Some of the ugliest stretches of highway in the world. The Grand Canyon is great and Flagstaff is a nice town to stay nearby.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  4. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

As previously mentioned we loved Florence and time just melted away there. A highlight was a visit to Lucca with lunch near the statue of Puccini.
    Also visits to San Gimignano and Monteriggioni were well worth it as was a brief tour of a few Umbrian towns.

5. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

The boat sheds at Herculaneum are one of those places where History stops just been real and becomes really real. When you become acutely aware that these were people who actually lived a life like we do in a time that we cannot ever experience. Humbling. Reminded me in some ways of Oradour Sur Glane in France. Another place that shook me to my core.

The guide on Vesuvius was telling us about the constant monitoring that goes on. The crux of it is that if she's gonna blow, they'll let you (and millions of Neopolitans) know!

6. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

So carmine I think you can see all the lads agree italys ****. Don't go...

7. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Agree about Hurculaneum, it really does stop becoming a tourist attraction.

8. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Although I love travelling, and going abroad, my wife and I have done quite a few weekend trips with National Coach Holidays and I have to say that no matter where we have ended up, we do quite a few Mystery Trips, that these two day journey's have enabled us to see a lot of places that have just been names on a map up to now. Our last trip out took us to Thirsk, Durham and Newcastle with a night in a hotel, evening meal and breakfast the whole lot being great value for money. We have been to Liverpool, Manchester, Litchfield, Cotswolds, Birmingham, Dales, Skipton, Embsay, Lincoln, Chester, Stratford, Stamford, Bourton On The Water, to name a few, a great way to see the UK.

9. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

When in Lake Garda, I drove up to Bolzano to go to the museum where Otzi the bronze age mountianman is displayed. Not too keen on seeing him. But his artifacts were a big draw for me.
    The town is in the South Tyrol and is so different to Verona, which is another place we took the car too.

10. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are a discerning traveler who appreciates Italy, you'll know to eat away from the central piazzas in the small backstreet trattoria's with the locals, don't miss the buzzing food court upstairs in the regenerated old Mercato Centrale and explore the Oltrarno area over the river.

Skidby Plastic likes this.

11. Skidby Plastic

Skidby Plastic Well-Known Member

Agreed. We used to go nearly every year and have done all the touristy Lakes, Amalfi coast, Rome, Venice, Florence, Verona etc. and a few less obviously touristy places like Milan, Bologna and the incredible Lake Iseo.

I never wanted to go to the same place every year and for the last couple of years we've tried the Dordogne (lovely, marred by genuinely abysmal food everywhere) and Paris (beautiful, better choice of food due to capital city levels of non-French cuisines), but pester power has won. The kids absolutely love Italy, Italian food and the Italians themselves.
    I was midway through Chazz's reply when you posted this. I love Italy, and as you say even in the tourist spots I look for the bakers where the locals are queuing out the door rather than the pretty tourist restaurants. Picking up the lingo over the years has helped.

Will definitely look out all of the things you're recommending. Thank you so much

The Omega Man likes this.
  12. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

I would say the same as Skidby about Croatia and Slovinia. We have covered the whole area, from the Julian Alps down to Dubrovnik. We last went two years ago and stayed in Cavtat. Love the place and the people. The only down side now is that the war has caught up with them and now most hotel workers are foreign as there is a generation gap.

13. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

As another poster has said, the Bakersfield-Vegas road is a bit boring. North from Yosemite there are a few passes - Sonora, etc. More interesting, if a longer drive...
    GC - we flew in a little monoprop plane, landed on a cinder strip on the GC rim (south side); were met by Indians in an old school bus; formation and history of GC was described and then we ended with a barbecue before they took us back to the plane. It's interesting mainly 'cos you are there, on the rim, and it's so massive.

(It's a bucket-list 'tick' really)

14. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

I like reading these travelling stories but most of my road travel in Europe has been by coach. One thing that always amazed me was the quality of their motorways, autostrada whatever, France, Spain and Italy seem to have a superb network of major roads. En-route to Italy, through Switzerland from France the roads were smooth all the way, even through the mountains. They must have cost billions to build as many of the roads are on stilt like viaducts through mountainous terrain. Was it all E. U. financed? Our roads come know where near and improvents to Castle St seem as far away as ever, on the matter of roads we in the UK seem to have had a bum deal.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  15. BrisbaneTiger

BrisbaneTiger Well-Known Member

The schedule looks like its coming together, just need to work out when we move between places. So far its just the wheres we have thought about. We will be in Ottawa for a while and still trying to discover what to do, but fortunately do have some relatives there who we have kept in touch with over the years, although they don't know about our plans as yet. Then we are getting the train to Toronto where i will be catching up to watch the mighty Tigers in a bar with TC, before the second stint in Vancouver, when i am thinking this is when we will visit Vancouver Island and now Salt Spring Island. I wasn't sure what to plan but after both yours and TigersCanadas great advice we now have some goals. Shows just how valuable the Not 606 board is. Who needs Trip Advisor when we have Not 606? :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm

16. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

Anyone know the best kebab shop in cleethorpes.

17. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

We did South Rim (as opposed to West which is the closest to Vegas) and went by plane as I think its too far for a helicopter from Vegas

Amazing day out, but I know Askew is pushed for time due to a wedding etc and that is a full day

askewshair likes this.
  18. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

Yeah it's in Barton :emoticon-0148-yes:

FILEYseadog likes this.
  19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Vegas Grill
    20 Market Street,
    Cleethorpes

FILEYseadog likes this.