1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 5, 2017.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Yeah I keep forgetting to do them, been so long since I've posted :biggrin:

2. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

:biggrin:

SaveTheHumans and King Shergar like this.
  3. MCK1

MCK1 Active Member

Just been reported on Sporting Life that Connegree is out of Cheltenham Gold Cup

4. the don

the don Well-Known Member

My take would be more likely that Cue Card goes Ryainair. Think they would be mad to not go GC with Djakadam and he would have to have very strong place claims and should the unthinkable happen win it so hes the value for me albeit cant see much happening to his price now coneygree is out so holding out for NRNB

5. MCK1

MCK1 Active Member

Hoping Don Cossack gets there on the back of a good prep run otherwise it may lack a bit of sparkle and intrigue

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Djakadam is 3 from 11 in open company over fences - a handicap and 2 uncompetitive John Durkans. I thought he was thoroughly disappointing in the Lexus (once again failing to quicken at the end of a 3 mile race) and I would definitely be sending him Ryanair at Cheltenham - no way can he win the Gold Cup, I'd be sceptical on him placing if Gigginstown send 3 or 4 and Tizzard's all line up.

It is a shame for Coneygree but he always was a fragile horse.

7. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Afraid I doubt we will see Coneygree again, sometimes it's best to retire them when able to.

The Gold Cup will always have interest and intrigue if Thistlecrack is involved. Just how good can he be, and can he live up to expectations. It could easily be a Tizzard 1-2-3-4 at this rate. Wonder if he could run one of the Sizings to see if he can do a Dickenson!!

8. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

The GC and CH are looking poor atm anyway. Going to end up with a 4/7 favourite for the GC and if The Machine or AP don't turn up, a bunch of handicappers running for the top 2 mile event.

beeforsalmon likes this.
  9. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

If Faugheen doesn’t turn up at Cheltenham in March who will be the first (well second after me) to bill the Champion Hurdle as ‘Annie versus Yanny’?!?

Champion Chase likely to have an even shorter favourite in Douvan – as low as 2/7 right now.

10. beeforsalmon

Djakadam didn't get the best of rides in the Lexus to my eye and I doubt that was him at his best either. I'd personally rather play him each way at 14/1 and have 3 places up for grabs than take odds on the novice, as impressive as he's been. Hopefully Tizzard does send Cue Card to the race too as he'd add something to it, but I think we should all respect the judgement and decision of Team Tizzard, whatever route they decide to go with the old boy. I think soft or heavy ground is definitely the key to him nowadays.

And we're all talking about this being a formality, I keep forgetting the reigning champ might, just might, make the race. He'd definitely give the Tizzard upstart plenty to think about if Elliott can get him somewhere near his imperious best.

11. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

There is three/four horses in here that are seriously overpriced if you are willing to forgive them one below par run. I can't see any reason to take odds-on on Thisltecrack when you will be able to get a nice price on any other horse to place only.

12. beeforsalmon

13. King Shergar

Id be suprised if Thistlecrack goes off at 4/7, in actual fact I think he might even go off odds against on the day.

The bookies at Cheltenham always like to take on these good things in the Championship races. I remember Big Bucks always going off around the Even money mark. And even Kauto Star after winning the KG by a distance didn't go off really short. So I don't see a novice going off at 4/7 :biggrin:

14. SaveTheHumans

Spot on Shergy as per. Like Douvan the novice who went off 1/4 for the Arkle <ok>

They were mad keen to hand out money to the punters that day.

15. King Shergar

That was in an actual novice race though, so it's not quite the same.

The only horses I recall going off super short in championship races recently, where Master Minded and Sprinter Sacre, and the same will probably happen again in the Champion Chase with Douvan this year.

The bookies though often like to take these good things on at Cheltenham. I know it wasn't a championship race, but Quevega was even allowed to go off at prices much bigger than 4/7.

The Gold Cup is a tough race to win, no matter how good a horse you have, that id be amazed if they go anywhere near 4/7 on the day.

If he was to go off at 4/7 he'd be the shortest Gold Cup favourite for a long time, I just can't see it myself. The bookies will be happy to lay him IMO.

And I'm a supporter of Thistlecracks chances in the race <ok>

16. SaveTheHumans

I'd be surprised too. Form of the KG is about as solid as a wet paper towel.

17. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Shergs Arkle went off 1/10 before his 3 gold cup win :D

18. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Sad to see Don Cossack out, but not surprised. With a bit of luck the 2017 GC could have been stellar, Thistlecrack versus Coneygree versus Don Cossack versus Vautour. Supporting cast Djakadam, Cue Card

19. King Shergar

Well Arkle didn't race against a lot, just an over the hill Mill House and a bunch of handicappers :biggrin:

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> Love it. He did take on one of the best chasers of all time but unfortunately it was a 2 mile chaser (RIP).

PS. Don't mention the F word. I might have mentioned him once but I think I got away with it

King Shergar likes this.