1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2015 PGA Championships from Whistling Straits

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by SaveTheHumans, Aug 12, 2015.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

For the 3rd time in its brief history, a Major rolls into Sheboygan, Wisconsin and Whistling Straits golf club in particular. The course opened publicly in 1998 and is the most popular course to host major championships since with this being the 3rd.

The course boasts over 1000 bunkers, yes that's right, over 1000 so get your buckets and spades out for the week! Half of this course resides along the beautiful Lake Michigan. It has a 2nd course also called the Irish course which doesn't feature the lake and is much more friendly to amateurs in terms of skill and financially. A round on the Whistling Straits will set you back $385!

The course record was set back in 2010 when Liang Wen Chong shot a 64 in his 3rd round and he went onto finish 8th also. Martin Kaymer won in 2010 and Vijay Singh took glory In 2004 here also. The course suits long accurate hitting. It's reportedly playing soft enough this week so expect plenty of birdies from those finding the fairways.

Anyway onto the selections, I've plumped for both:

Matt Kuchar 66\1 - went well here in 2010 finishing 10th. His driving is normally good and straight which can help him set up many birdie chances here, he's a percentage player and more than not will choose the right shot which can see him plot his way around the 1000 odd bunkers here. Short game is average at best for for me but if he finds fairways he should do okay. Solid each way chance.

Brooks Koepka 50/1 - big hitting American who has been progressing nicely. Choose to come and play the European tour early in his career rather than play a year on the challenge and Web. Com tours and he did well enough there to get his PGA status and is now ranked in the top 30 of the OWGR(official world golf rankings). He's being touted as a future major winner and if the driving is accurate this week, he can have a say. Small to medium each way chance!

The event looks primed for the big boys that head the betting and perhaps one of them can land this event, Day, Johnson, Spieth etc. I just looked towards a few at a price that can perhaps do okay over the 4 days.

All the best whoever you do back and may we have some winnings/winner come Sunday night <ok>

2. cityhull

cityhull Well-Known Member

Bubba Watson for me but only on at 14/1

3. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Jason Day 14/1. Backed him in the British and he was a putt shy of a playoff and of course he then went out the following weekend and won the Canadian! Very good iron player and putter, assets everywhere but especially here with so many bunkers lurking. He's certain to be in the mix imo, I don't really have too much doubt he CAN see one of these majors out, but it's getting to the point now maybe he has to convert one. Playing well enough to suggest he might do so here.

Zach Johnston 55/1. Frustratingly pipped another of mine in the British, Mr Oosthuizen in a playoff this guys a class act when in the mood. Notoriously short off the tee, most people see that as a negative here, I hang on the fact he played well at the course before. His putting can get him involved.

One of the very few majors I'm leaving Rory out, I want to see how he goes first. IF he's creaming it early doors I'll inevitably back him in running. As the old saying goes why just back one loser when you can back three :)

4. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Nice write up sth.Im gona go ew on Bubba Watson,Dustin Johnson and Paul Casey

5. cityhull

Looks like the wind could get up for the afternoon starters today

6. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Member

Rory 12s, Fowler 25s and Streb 66s is where my money is going. Don't think you can write off Rory and 12s could be as big as you'll ever see him. Fowler like Day have both been knocking on the door in majors but I think the American has the better chance and this could be his chance. I like streb as an each way angle.
    Good luck all

7. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Casey at 80s (apologies for the slight after timing as he's well into round 1). Andy Sullivan at 250s (no after timing as he's not out until later).

8. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Good man Dusty,kick on now and dont bottle it lad!

9. SaveTheHumans

The early starters have definitely had the rub of the green (pardon the pun) with the wind that has picked up for the afternoon/evening starters. Luck of the draw, hopefully it balances itself out over the 4 day's.

10. cityhull

What day do we think DJ will bottle it, I'm going for Saturday

beeforsalmon likes this.

11. SaveTheHumans

He won't bottle it...Kuchar will just shoot 3 65's In a row and romp to victory <laugh>

12. beeforsalmon

Well I've got rid of Zachary Johnston (missed cut) but Jason Day's looking pretty dam good to me right now.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Well safe to say my tip for Adam Scott went for a burton!

Schwartzel needs to shoot two 65s and have dropped shots by the others so it's grim for me.

Those who could get competitive at a big price might be Branden Grace and Hunter Mahan, but the familiar names at the top look like being there again come Sunday evening.

14. beeforsalmon

The one player I didn't want to be second heading into the final round <goddamnit>

15. TopClass

Top two might blow the rest away today but depends on the wind- how strong is it?

Just a thought- if there's one time to back Dustin Johnson on a Sunday, is it at 50/1 on the exchanges with him chasing the leaders? He can be himself today and play agressively, whereas the leaders might get sucked into a match play situation almost.

We will see.

16. TopClass

Johnson gone at the 1st.

Over to the final few groups.

17. beeforsalmon

Two golden rules in betting.

1. Never ever bet against Faugheen.
    2. Never ever bet on Dustin Johnston for a major. He's like that boy in the pub. There for the first and second round. Gone by the fourth <laugh>

18. TopClass

-20 from Day, brilliant stuff so far from him.

19. beeforsalmon

Get in there JD my man #boom :)

20. TopClass

Pretty flawless the guy was this week. Amazing score and he has threatened to do it for a long time- he just looked that much calmer out there this time.