1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 115th US Open from Chambers Bay

Discussion in 'General Betting Board' started by SaveTheHumans, Jun 14, 2015.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Jason Day has confirmed he will play Rd3 after collapsing with Vertigo on his final hole yesterday. The papers could have their headlines sorted for Monday morning already! "Day reaches dizzy heights" and all that!

2. SaveTheHumans

Westwood scathing in his interview with Sarah Stirk. Very suprising to hear this when he has every chance of a good finish once more in a major. Basically slamming the interchangeable holes when they switch them from 4's to 5's etc. I guess it's best to be honest but maybe to keep quiet until you finish.

3. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Had myself a bit of the 33/1 on offer for JB Holmes. Was having a look through this morning and seen him at -2, thought 33/1 was decent. The more I thought about it the more I wondered why I hadn't even considered him from the start, he's a massive hitter and has had a very good season so far.

Glad to see Jason Day back out there, very sad scenes yesterday seeing him collapse on the course. Hopefully he can get through the next 2 rounds without any sort of repeat of that.

4. SaveTheHumans

Another terrific round by Oosthuizen to get to -1. He could have shot 63 today, he missed 4 birdie attempts within 6 ft so it could have been a really special round. He will need another good round tomorrow and a little help from the lads currently in front at this stage. To be +7 after day 1 to get into contention of a top 10 is good going non the less.

5. SaveTheHumans

Great to see Lowry doing so well. My cousin played a round of golf with him two weeks back and said he's a real nice lad. Course won't frighten him that's for sure. Got the hands of a magician around the greens.

6. Fabulous Fabio

Just shows how well Johnson, Spieth and Grace are playing to still be up there at the moment when so many around them are struggling. Lowry starting to put together a good round as well.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  7. SaveTheHumans

Joost Luiten flying the flag for Europe too, have been a big fan of his for many years now, he just needs that flagship event win to propel him further.

Spieth's putting is ridiculous. Uncannily like Woods putted tournaments and opponents to sleep with in his prime.

8. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Hoping my main man standing Branden Grace can keep in touch but Spieths putting is ridiculous. He's not 125/1 now anyway so least I've got the much vaunted 'value'... <laugh>

Great shout on Oost STH, ripped it today. Rory's putting just let him down, he could have been 4 or 5 better today, easily.

9. SaveTheHumans

Grace is playing very solid so far, it's no suprise I guess that so many of the South Africans are doing well here. He's 10/1 now Beefy so you've definitely got your value. All the best.

I talked my auld man away from McDowell to back Oosthuizen at 100/1 before it started so when I seen his -4 yesterday I got interested and when I seen betway offering 300/1 this afternoon I couldn't resist a small few bob. I know it will amount to nothing a large majority of the time but at that price and in this event anything can happen . He will still need loads to fall right but he's going the right way.

Yeah, McIlroy could have been a lot better this week had the putter been on, Thursday he was excellent and didn't make much and I think he said he hasn't played as well this year as he did today, but the putts weren't falling. That's the difference with Spieth, his putts fall more often than not hence his form over the past 18 months.

10. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

You won't wanna here me putting the kiss of death on him Beefy, but I think Grace can win it from here.

Look through Spieths record throughout his career, and he has so many 2nd and 3rd place finishes, in comparison to his 2 wins. This is because I don't believe he plays well when things are tight at the business end of a tournament. He won the masters so well because he had a massive lead after 2 rounds, and it never got short enough for the pressure to be applied, but the previous years Masters when things where tight with Bubba he fell in a hole. I've watched him so many times on the PGA tour, and he throws away so many tournaments that he should be winning.

Dustin Johnson is the ultimate bottler of bottlers, I wouldn't trust him under pressure either. This is a guy who led the US Open by 4 shots going into the final round before, and was already behind after just 2 holes. All the drugs he's been smoking have messed up his temperament, and under the most extreme pressure he faulters. Even a few weeks ago in Texas when he hit the front in the final round he shot an 8 at the next hole.

And as for Jason Day, he's pretty good, but I wouldn't trust his temperament either. He's come 2nd multiple times in pretty much every major there is. No there hasn't been as many obvious collapses as the likes of Dustin Johnson but I do feel he struggles to get the job done, hence the number of 2nds. Only a few weeks ago when Rose won, Day was leading and it was missed fairway after missed fairway, until he lost the lead.

So Branden Grace despite looking the outsider of the 4 leaders on paper could have a big day here. He may not have been in this position before, but I look at that as more of a positive, as he doesn't have the same mental scars as the others. I know it's not on the same scale, but he's won here in Europe a good few times, and he's looked nothing but assured when in contention:biggrin:

11. Fabulous Fabio

It's all set up for a good final day, the talk will be about the 4 leaders but wouldn't rule out some of the guys in behind. Oosthuizen, lowry or Holmes could put a good round together and take it. Was it announced who would be in the final pairing? If the tournament organisers had their way they'd probably want the headline all American final group of Spieth and Johnson, not sure how that works though or how it's decided.

12. King Shergar

It's who hands there scorecards in first, so Day was guarenteed to be in, and Johnson and Grace having played together would of had a race to the club house to hand there scorecard in before the other one. Which seems a ridiculous rule to me <laugh>

Johnson must have won that race as he's in the final pairing with Day :biggrin:

13. SaveTheHumans

First in last out is the common phrase used. It's whoever putts out 18 first that will be in the last groupings when tied. It's basic etiquette.

14. Fabulous Fabio

That seems like a bit of a nonsense to me. Spieth should be in the final pairing no matter what, he went into day 2 as co-leader in the final pairing, and he came out of day 2 still as a co-leader, he should still be in the last group to go out. That would make more sense to me, rather than first come first served.

15. SaveTheHumans

First in last out! Day posted his score first, he makes final group. Johnson then posted his par 5 on 18 first so he is paired with Day. Grace followed Johnson in so was 3rd to post -4 and then in came Spieth.

Just remember first in last out!

16. King Shergar

Oh right, I genuinely thought Grace and Johnson would of had to fight over who handed there's in first. The commentator last night, didn't explain it properly.

I disagree with that. Spieth shot the worst round yesterday of all 4 leaders, that's why he's not in the final pairing. Just because he was leading after day 2, he's allowed 3 other guys to catch him. So he's only himself to blame if he was hoping to be in the last group.

I don't always buy that being in the last group is an advantage. The only reason I see it as an advantage is that it usually means your in the lead, but when it's a 4 way tie I don't think it makes to much difference. If anything being in the 2nd last group could be a slight advantage, as there's a little less pressure :biggrin:

17. SaveTheHumans

I'd like to see that though Shergy <ok> we could propose a rule change for our own entertainment at least :) watch the boy's killing each other to get in first.

18. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

They should all go out together... Now that would be interesting, if a little long to play...

19. SaveTheHumans

Shergar in defence of Spieth, he is very young and hasn't done much wrong. He also boasts 2 playoff wins on the PGA tour (he holed a 30 footer to take the Valspar this year and took a playoff at the John Deere classic in 2013 after an extra 5 holes) he also has a major victory at 21 years old! He's breaking about every record he can for a pro at this age and if he keeps pace will smash more and more records. There definitely isn't a problem with his game. Things can go wrong at times for any golfer, it requires great mental effort to compete at that level over 4 days of competition and sometimes they can have lapses which cause them to lose, they are only human.

20. King Shergar

I don't doubt Spieths ability as a player, I just find from watching the PGA Tour most weeks, that he finishes 2nd or 3rd a lot more often than he wins. He's lost quite a few leads this year.

His consistency is remarkable that he's always in contention, but for the amount of times he is in contention I'd want to see him win more often than he does to be taking the 2/1 he currently is in running.

When Rory for example is in contention i find he's far more reliable at converting them into wins :biggrin: