1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thank You Mr Puel

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brixham Saint, Jan 25, 2017.

1. nice teeth

nice teeth Well-Known Member

A cup final is a massive, well deserved bonus, I imagine that our league form and position is just about what the club privately expected, given the remit that CP was given when he came in, which was was to realign the first-team with the stated philosophy of the club. i.e, sell decent players who won't sign extensions at the most profitable point for the club, whilst integrating more academy players.
    This was never going to happen without a drop in form and league position, RK knew that and that is why he didn't bother and fell out of favour.
    CP has had to come in, do a specific job and suffer the slings and arrows of entitled fans, who don't have a clear understanding of the bigger picture of the club.

2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

IMO, we are now starting to play how Claude wants us to.
    When pushed back, absorb the pressure, then counter at pace.
    In recent games we are seeing more of this, with more players venturing forward, in an attempt to keep up with the ball.
    Really exciting when it comes off. Frustrating as hell when, after several players push forward, out of position, we sloppily concede possession, risking getting caught on the counter ourselves.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  3. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr Puel
    To reach any cup final is quite an achievement,but to do it with out conceding a goal and making history is one hell of an achievement,you and you're players should be so proud of yourselves.
    You've made one little 9 year old 10ft tall and you sir deserve every credit.

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Sorry Craig, but if you are only 9, then you are not supposed to be posting on the forum. Please give daddy his computer back.

5. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Ian, are you out there?????

Was expecting you to join in this thread.

6. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

FLT..........I can't remember when I was 9

fatletiss likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Despite all the moans... 90 minutes away from best ever season for a whole generation of Saints fans.

Football eh?

Archers Road likes this.
  8. fatletiss

I can and it's topical. I remember being dragged to Basingstoke shopping Centre by my mum and standing in front of the televisions in Littlewoods TV department watching updates on Grandstand of the league cup final. David Peach had just scored against Forest :)

9. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

We would have all taken a cup or europe before the season and here we are one win away from both..a difficult assignment but remember remember

10. fatletiss

*checks for Ian Thumwood comment*

:emoticon-0112-wonde

11. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Errr........ will one from me be ok instead........? <laugh>

fatletiss and Archers Road like this.
  12. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Great moment. Superb pass from Ball. The same Alan Ball who then had to be headed off by Lawrie as he ran over to tell Clough what he thought of the "great man's" view of him as a player. The players all fell asleep after their half time cuppa, Forest rattled in 3 and then Holmes scored a screamer. One of my proudest moments as a Saint was watching Lawrie walk on to the pitch and urge his players to stand up and "be proud". He really was a great manager. I still stand by my view that Claude will be as good if given time.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

When was the lower age limit introduced.? It's why we need the swear filter. Getting you pepys to pipe down was impossible. In the end, I joined. ;)

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Don't want this thread dropping off the edge of the page. We know fans have short memories...

15. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

16. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

17. fatletiss

Or in case Ian can't find it because I've seen him posting and I'm sure he must have prepared a long note to congratulate Claude by now :)

18. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, the League cup has been Claude Puel's most significant aheivement, not only because we have reached Wembley, but also because the teams we have beaten along the road. I congratulate him in this respect. Although Man Utd will be favourites, this is a team that has also been erratic all season and there is no reason why we cannot win this match even if Utd will be pursuing it in earnest as it is their best chance of silverware this year.

We have fallen down all season due to the fact that chances have not been converted. The siging of Gabiadini will be interesting as this has been made to rectify the situation. It will be interesting if there is an immediate impact and Saints can start winning games where they have been the better side but not converted opportunites. I am hoping that he will significantly increased our goals per game ratio.

As I said in the FA Cup thread, Claude Puel had no choice but to rotate his squad in that match yet I think he went too far. I would much prefer it if he kept a settled squad and stuck with players he trusted. He has been right to try "fringe" players but where this has proved unsuccessful, I think he needs to appreciate that there are some squad member like Isgrove who are simply not good enough at this level. It is also disappointing that he appears to have fallen out with Jose Fonte.

Without doubt, the final has salvaged what would otherwise have been an underwhelming season. If he gets another season with players he has signed, I think we will be in a better position to judge him. Take away the Liverpool win in the semi, January was seen a marked dip in our results, something akin to that experienced under Koeman two seasons ago. I never doubted that Koeman would turn things around but I am less inclined to think that we will see such a spectacular improvement afterwards as we did under the Dutchman. I am afraid that I do not like Puel's style of football as much as I have enjoyed that of the last three managers. My opinion is far from unique. As I said previously, this forum is the only place where I have read comments favourable to Puel and the general lack of enthusiasm is something I have encountered amongst those Saints fans with whom I work as well as friends and the people I sit next to at St Mary's. Evertyone has their own opinion and I think the variety of opinions should be resepcted.

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

This season has been a curate's egg and there is no doubt that our style is less exciting than in previous seasons, but we have lost good and exciting players, so am willing to wait and see with Puel....mainly because chances were created and not taken. That must be a frustration to him because everything works up until the final shot. I am patient because I can see that things could have been different if our strikers were more consistent. Over to Manolo....the weight of expectation is on him.

20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

As much as I agree with this, I can also see that, with the right personnel, we could become a very, very exciting team.
    I've said before that, IMO, Claude wants to hit opponents with quick counter attacks, and there are times when we are doing this, without scoring enough goals from them.
    When it happens, as against Liverpool, twice in the first half and the goal at the end, it is very exciting. Unfortunately we are not doing it enough, again IMO, because we lack the speed in midfield to get forward quickly enough to offer enough bodies for the final pass. Or, when we do get the bodies forward, the final pass, or finish, isn't good enough.
    For all the midfield players, in the squad, none of them are whippet quick, so for me this is an area for improvement, come the summer.