1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Villa

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Chris Martin's appeal has been turned down and he's got an immediate 3 game ban. Guess we've probably seen the last of him then and not least since Wolves are lining up a £7m bid (apparently).

Otherwise, Denis Odoi is the only man down. Three observations about Villa first -

1. Having played Saturday, they've got one day less rehab time.

2. At the end of last week Bruce said he'd be 'shuffling' his team around for the two Easter games and arguably played the strongest team available to him against Reading. In that 3-1 defeat they struggled at the back though, especially LB, with two key defenders missing injured. He may play 3 at the back against us bringing in Micah Richards and Elphick.

No doubting Villa are decent in midfield, with Hourihane, Jedinak and Lansbury. And up front Kodjia will trouble most defences. He's still carrying a knock however despite playing on Saturday, as is ex-Brentford man Hogan who came on for the last half hour. Wouldn't be suprised to see both starting though to pressure our back line and Bruce going 3-5-2.

3. We owe them one big time after that awful performance at theirs.

For us believe it's going to be more about who is mentally rather than physically up for the game. And we've been here before this season, when a terrific away performance has been followed by a lack lustre one at home. However, unless our physios advise otherwise, don't see the Gaffer changing a winning team, with Piazon filling in for Martin.

....................Bettinelli.............
    ..Frdericks...Kalas..Ream..Malone..
    ...................McDonald....
    .............Cairney....Johansen...
    .......Aluko........Ayite.......Piazon...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Cravingawin likes this.
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Huge game for our fresh bagel prospects. Really looking forward to this one - it's my birthday on the day of the match, and my boys and I have got tickets. COYW!

Cravingawin likes this.
  3. Cottager58

The man in the middle today is David Coote.

upload_2017-4-17_10-39-48.jpeg

The three times we've seen him this season were all victories. The first was the League Cup win, 2-1 over Middlesbrough when Stearman, Adeniran and Kavanagh went in his book. Then there was the 5-0 humbling of Huddersfield. Ryan Fredericks got a yellow that day for arguing. And more recently the last gasp 3-2 win over Wigan, when Sone Aluko managed to get a yellow.

The cricket loving Coote tends to be a fairly stable chap and in his 8 games since our Wigan one in February he's only dished out 16 yellows. You don't want to annoy him unduly however - 2 reds were shown in that period as well. Indeed he's up there with the 'best' of them when it comes to reds; having given 6 in his 36 games so far this season, as opposed to a below average 120 yellows.

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Well, he can't be much worse than Andrew Madley was on Friday, even if he was blindfolded.

Cottager58 likes this.
  5. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say our performance against them at Villa Park was that bad. We dominated the game but admittedly had little goal threat. As always an early goal will help us a lot.
    Shame about red card decision but we have coped without Martin before and are still capable of winning well today.

6. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

7. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Great result!!! This going to the wire people, three points from our next two games guarantees we are in with a shout last day of the season. Funnily enough for quite a long time now my mates and I have fancied Leeds being the team who were most catchable despite there lead over us and Wednesday! It s just great being in the mix for once!!

Cravingawin likes this.
  8. Cottager58

And so say all of us ...

Inspired team selection by the Gaffer, playing young Sessegnon from the start and setting up the perfect second half substitution; 'Copa' Kebano coming on for Malone. Pure genius!

One small gripe. Playing against 10 men why, oh why did we pull everybody back when they got a corner? Surely at least Ayite should have stayed on the halfway line?

9. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Did you enjoy that one, Captain? I think we put on a decent show for your birthday; hopefully the lads do the same in two weeks time for mine!

Captain Morgan likes this.
  10. Cottager58

And how's this for entertainment?

Cravingawin likes this.

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

That did very nicely, thank you Surlyc. I thought there were no weak links today (though just before Grealish scored I was thinking that we were giving them a lot of space given that we had the extra man). Johanson got our votes for MOM, though the much-maligned Tim Ream was excellent today. All in all, a splendid day and I hope the team provides something even better for you in a couple of weeks.

12. Fulham COYW

Great win today. It was another good performance but I actually thought we were better when they had 11 players on the pitch. We seemed to slow down a bit and only stepped up again when they got their goal. I suppose 2 games in a short period of time will have taken something out of the players but I would have gone for it. Can't complain about the result though.

Really are playing as a team, it's great to watch.

Thought Reading would be the team to drop out and haven't been impressed with them but they somehow keep winning. Still I reckon a few twists and turns to come but we are looking good.

13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Agreed, Captain. I thought today was one of Tim Ream's best games for us and if he played like that every week we wouldn't need a new centre back quite as badly.

I was a little surprised that Cyriac didn't come on with us 3-1 and a man up. There can be no way we are going to sign him permanently if he couldn't even get on today.

14. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

We'd played well against 11 man Villa who were playing 3-5-2 and we were getting in behind their defence but missing the end product. With 10 men their midfield fellback more defensive making it harder. Luckily in second half again we got to the wings and stretched them.
    As good as Sessegnon did I'm hoping Jokanovic has seen not to play him at Left back. Soon as Malone was subbed Villa targeted Sessegnon the same way Wolves had done and he was found out a few times. Ream had to bail him out a few times, which makes the center of our defence weaker if McDonald doesn't get back to fill the hole.

15. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I agree SBM, Sessegnon is not quite there yet defensively and you could see Villa attacking him. However I think there is value in giving him time at LB in games like this (where the result is somewhat safe) as it is a good way to learn - I hope Malone is the choice at LB for the Huddersfield game.

2whitestripes likes this.
  16. Cottager58

Agree with you both - indeed voted him my MOTM on the official site. Here's his 'heat map' to back that up (only a couple of missed passes to boot):

upload_2017-4-18_16-51-32.png

17. Fulham COYW

I voted Tim Ream also on the official site for MOTM

Cottager58 likes this.