1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Rotherham

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Complacency is the swear word for this one. So, to keep everyone on the toes a bit of rotation. And probably als to safeguard certain players for the Derby match.

.......................Button..............
    ..Odoi.....Kalas...Sigurdsson..Sessegnon..
    .............McDonald...Tunnicliffe...
    ....Alko.............Cairney.........Piazon...
    ........................Martin.....

Was tempted to suggest Madl instead of Kalas, to give Tomas K a rest. However Michael M seems badly out of favour since his sending off way back.

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Could be a poor attendance, given the lack of Southern trains. My seat will be empty and I am not happy at all about that. :(

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Not too sure much will be changed by Jokanovic as he seems to have his favourites and sticks with them. Hope we can dent Rotherhams confidence early on with a few goals and then they might not be a threat, but hope the players don't think this game is a walk over without them putting in the effort. I like that our GD has a good positive 9 goals while most teams are struggling to get a +GD.

4. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

First time in a few weeks I'm not working and can get to a game and Southern Trains have put a stop to that, I'm not happy at all.

Few changes for me Odoi, Sessegnon, Madle or Sigurdsson in also Maybe Piazon or Kebano in plus Parker or Tunnicliffe.

We have a decent strong squad now and a win tonight would set up a big home game Saturday against Derby.

5. Cottager58

The man in the middle tonight is Steve Martin

upload_2016-12-13_13-0-1.jpeg

Martin ref'd our 0-0 draw at Wigan back in September. In the thread for that game I mentioned that their fans labelled him a 'Joker' and David Button's time wasting in the game, without any retribution, didn't change their view. He booked two players; ours being Denis Odoi.

This season he's continued to be faily modest with the cards. That is until the Nottingham Forest v Newcastle game on 2nd December when he booked 5 and sent 2 off - both from Newcastle. So incensed were their fans that they "trolled " him on Twitter; unfortunately a number got the wrong Steve Martin over in Hollywood.

The 'real' Steve Martin's accumulated tally of cards so far then is, 45 yellows and 2 reds in 17 games. Last year it was, 83 yellow and 5 red in 38 games.

6. Cottager58

Been having a think before heading out for the game. Button was at fault for at least the first goal against Wolves and his distrigution is awful. Can't help but suggest it's time to give Bettinelli a chance and he wasn't in the U23 group last night.

7. Cottager58

Fulham saw an awful lot of the ball early on. Unfortunately it was in the form of 24 throw ins in the first 10 minutes.

Play got a bit better after Rotherham scored, yet with 80% possession the first half Fulham presented little threat on the opposition goal. Too many silly and/or sloppy passes; too many times players running toward the man with the ball leading to congestion - acres of space in the middle of the park that nobody moved into; to much time spent by Cairney and Johansen going back into our own half to collect a short pass - by the time they'd turned Rotherham had 11 behind the ball and the four we had were swamped; too often we passed to a man with his back to goal. Don't remember one solitary pass to Martin in the box. Not a good first half by us despite that 80% possession. Demonstrated by the half time highlights on the 'big' screen which was virtally all Rotherham threats on our goal.

Fortunately the Gaffer spotted the midfield problem and brought on Piazon for McDonald at half time and whoosh, what a difference. We again racked up 80% possession in the second half but it was of a totally different kind. Running at them from so many different positions; running off the ball; running into those midfield spaces. Absolutely dominant. Just have a look at this:

upload_2016-12-13_23-34-46.png

Over 720 passeses and nearly 500 of them attacking must be one for our record books. Regretably we didn't make it count though. Two goals and a penalty miss is a poor return from that secod half.

Going to rule Johansen out of my MOTM 'cos he had a rotten first half. Ditto Cairney. The two full backs and especially Fredericks who really came good in the second half are close. Unfortunately the Gaffer doesn't qualify but I'm going for the man he brought on and made the diffference, Lucas Piazon for MOTM. Primarily for his intelligent play and running off the ball, creating space for others.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Only one important stat tonight and that's 3 points won!! Beat Derby at home and we are up and running!

2whitestripes and Cottager58 like this.
  9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Good to be able to praise the officials last night who officiated as it should be done. We've had some right idiots in charge so it was good to see a competent trio.
    Not much end product in the first half but a lot more effort in the 2nd which meant we should really have put them to sword, but didn't. Chris Martin has taken a lot of stick, but for me he gets in good positions but never gets the pass, and when he is man marked he's intelligent enough to pull the player out of position creating defensive holes, that Aluko & Ayite can exploit.
    Thought Johansen had a sluggish 1st half (except goal) giving the ball away a lot, but 2nd half was back to his best box to box.
    Piazon was lively when he came on, and might get to start against Derby for Martin.

10. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

It was a good football match. I thought Rotherham would come and try and break up the play with fouls and time wasting but they played football and defended well.It's a joy to watch our play after the last few seasons and I'm still not quite used to it.

We may not have been our best in the 1st half and their goal had the feelings of deja vu. Agree with all your comments but to add my bit I was pleased to see Ayite on the score sheet again. Confidence is everything and with his goals at Wolves it will spur him on further. Martin needs to practice those penalties, that's two he's missed and we needed that third to close down the match. Credit also the Rotherham fans, long journey on a Tuesday night, particularly when you are bottom of the league.

Cookie-6262 and Cottager58 like this.

11. Cottager58

Not to mention another defender left on his bum (mind, think Martin is in a bit of a huff)

Cravingawin likes this.