1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Reading

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Gaffer confirmed in today's press conference that all the team are well. Denis Odoi is out suspended however, so that removes one little dilema.

Good news from the oppo camp is that Liam Moore, who has been a mainstay for them at the back this season, is also suspended. Even without him though, Reading will be rough and tough!

So to one of Jokanovic's other dilemas - given the nature of Reading's play, does he start with "Crusher" Scotty or save him to shore up/chase the game depending on how things go? The heart says get him in from the beginning, the head the other. The only other query ought to be who he chooses from Ayite, Piazon or Kebano - all three who he potentially loses in January. Each brings something different to the party; the buzz of Ayite, the positional play of Piazon and the staight for goal Kebano. Odds are on the successful August formula with Ayite getting the nod.

And just thinking about August I'd be tempted to replace Sigurdsson, who hasn't impressed greatly - especially at Brighton - with Madl. The Gaffer won't be simililary doubting I suspect.

The starting line-up then:

.........................Button.............
    ..Fredericks..Kalas..Sigurdsson..Malone..
    ........................McDonald....
    ....................Johansen........
    .....Aluko.............Cairney.........Ayite....
    ........................Martin.........

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

GroundHog Day C58 ? Title ? :azn:
    Reading will be difficult, but I'm hoping as their away form isn't as good as their home form, we'll be able to be on top early.
    Line up will probably be close to what C58 has put out. I'd also like to see Madl with Kalas, but think SJ has his favourites.
    Have to watch out for McCleary and Van der Berg who seem to be their creative and enforcer.

3. Cottager58

Whoops!! Still smarting a little after last weekend, SuperBri.

4. Cottager58

The man in charge today is Oliver Langford

upload_2016-12-3_11-27-40.jpeg

Fairly experienced chap is Langford; having ref'd something like 200 EFL games since he started out in 2008. We saw him last at the nub end of last season in the game against Bolton at the Cottage. We won 1-0 and Olly didn't get his card out once. He's also covered the Dallas and Algarve Cups in the past, so he'll have seen our Academy teams play.

Last season was a quiet one for him in the discipline league, with 99 yellows and 4 reds in 41 games. So far this season he's upped the anti a bit but not a lot compared to some of his compatriots in the Select Group 2 cabal of of fulltime refs, managing 51 yellows and 1 red in 18 games. And tucked in among that were 9 yellows in the match between Swindon and Bristol Rovers.

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

1-0. I'm sure I remember us being linked with Gunter several years ago. Today, it's just as if he'd signed for us after all.

6. Cottager58

The scoreline believe it or not flattered Reading. That was the best team performance that I've seen in ... well absolutely yonks. Will leave the stats to talk the talk:

5 at home again, clean sheet, 68% possessession, 24 shots on goal, 12 on target = top 3 side destroyed

So, sit back and watch the goals in this link - which goes nowhere near highlighting how good we were.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10682215/fulham-5-0-reading

Cookie-6262 and Cravingawin like this.
  7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Agreed C58, the scoreline flatters Reading.

I still cannot quite believe that Reading are 3rd based on what I saw today.

8. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Agreed also, what a game - although Reading were about the worst opposition I've seen. Great performances all round and has made me optimistic that we could put together a real run of results in December, the team is settled, right players in the right positions, something we've been missing since Roy. COYW!

9. Cottager58

Honestly believe we made Reading look poor. We pressed them in every position, often two of ours at a time, and were first to the second ball on every occasion. Our pace and skill on the ball was scintillating. All of which forced them into making mistakes.

And the stats I quoted before don't actually present the full picture. Consider. We were awarded 59% possession in the first half (limited to that probably because of the length of time their goalie took to get rid) yet ended up having 68% by the final whistle - can't quite do the second half extrapololation but I think even our analytics would pronounce that as dominant. The point though, is that it wasn't the grand old sideways/back stuff in our own half. Nowhere similar. It was fast, slick, straight up the whatsit stuff .. and they didn't like it one bit.

Really can't find enough superlatives to describe how well we played as a team. For my sins I'll disagree with Silky and suggest that for sheer individual pace, skill and togetherness as a team that perfomance was better than Roy's teams and you'd have to go back to the (best) Tigana days to find anything comparable.

10. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I can't add to what has already been said. I listened to G Jim and could see him smiling, it was that good.
    MoM this week?, FFC.

11. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Highlights are up
    although this video doesn't cover what happened with Joh and the red card, from my seat I couldn't see much that looked intentional but it happened very fast.

I agree with Cottager that it was a more dynamic performance than Roy's teams, but the Juventus match stands apart, that's a game we will be lucky to see the like of again. I'm really liking our midfield, I think in Jan it's just a back up striker needed to suit the 4-3-3 if Chris M gets injured, stops scoring or ends up touring. My big worry is a prem team will come in for Joka in Jan, I think/hope Cairney would resist any offers until summer.

12. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It boils down to the opposition style, Reading and others who are looking to win a game tend to be more open and less defensive minded which helps us to move the ball quicker, other teams come to sit 8 men in defence and only venture forward on odd occasions. We've tended to get better performances away from home.
    For me yesterday turned on one tackle as McDonald? stopped their forward from breaking away on a 1 to 1 in the second half, and then the sending off deflated Reading at 2-0 down. The Reading away game will be an interesting one.
    Lovely goal by Johansen sweeping into the area and curling it in. Martin always looks better facing the goal and arriving late onto second balls played back to him.