1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Newcastle

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

In today's press conference the Gaffer confirmed that Floyd Ayite is still out of the squad with his injury. Jokanovic however caused a bit of a stir when he said in the same breath, " we expect Lucas Piazon can be available for the last games " and some mis-interpreted this as "the next games". Yes, Lucas is also out for a while.

Not much needs to be said about Newcastle; they're where they are for a reason. Benitez will go 4-2-3-1 with Atsu and Ritchie attacking us on the wings and Shelvey pulling the strings in the middle. The other threat is of course sharp shooter Dwight Gayle who is back after injury.

So .. do we change things? The Gaffer is reported as being, “Confident. We are going to try and find our style – we are going to try and dominate Newcastle. We are going to try and move the ball and create our chances. I don’t expect so many surprises in this game." Doesn't sound as though he's going to tinker too much then.

The not so savoury M&M from the other night have to be in line to be bagged though. Malone definitely for Sessegnon. Martin? Not so sure. His replacement would be Cyriac and, although a tad unfair given he's had nothing more than cameos so far, the lad doesn't seem to know "what he's doing" ! Sure he showed a great leap for a little fellow against Leeds but his positional play was all over the place. And we're where we are for a reason as well - with no serious striker options !

The starting line-up:

.........................Button............
    ..Fredericks..Kalas..Ream..Sessegnon..
    .......................McDonald...
    ...............Cairney........Johansen.....
    .....Aluko.................................Kebano....
    ........................Martin....

PS Nice little extra competitive edge to the game with Jokanovic and Benitez both being nominated as Manager of the Month for February.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I'd expect that to be the line-up C58.
    Confident. We are going to try and find our style – we are going to try and dominate Newcastle. We are going to try and move the ball and create our chances. I don’t expect so many surprises in this game.
    That sounds like his mantra If we have the ball they don't. It's like he doesn't worry about the other teams tactics too much. I think this is where Jokanovic falls down against the better teams in The Championship. Yes we play more as a team then many other teams, but the teams above us seem to have a striker that is more individual and can turn a game even if they aren't playing well. Against a team like Newcastle we'll probably get less chances at shots on target than normal, so you'd think he might set up a more defensive counter attacking team, then going for possession percentages, but we don't seem to have that striker.

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Cottager's line up too. Given the injuries that restrict our attacking options, I think we have to start with Martin rather than have him on the bench - if you've got a striker with question marks over whether or not he's bothered, would he be your choice to bring on if you were a goal down with 20 minutes to go? If he starts and does well, great; if not you can take him off for someone who will make the effort. I think with Martin at the moment he should either be starting or not in the matchday squad at all. Talking of which, is Stevie Humphries out on loan, or is he an option to put on the bench for this one?

4. Cottager58

Stevie is out on loan to Shrewsbury until the end of the season and under the new loan rules can't be recalled. Despite our lack of a striker I believe it was the right decision to send him out. He's come on from a lump of a lad with good football instincts in the U18s two years ago to top scorer in the U23s and fringe outings with the first squad. Quite a step up for a 19yr old in a short space of time.

The move to Shrewsbury will give him regular competitive matches at a decent level and as the saying goes, 'a chance to learn his trade'. And it all seems to be going to plan. A couple of goals, a couple or more assists, a red card and already a firm favourite among their fans; getting a standing ovation when he was subbed after 85 minutes in the last game.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  5. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

This really is a massive game. I'm hoping Martin rocks up with his game face on and causes them problems. Other than that I think we could cause them problems.

6. Cottager58

And now for the not so good news. Are you sitting comfortably SuperBri? .... the man up tomoorow is the redoubtable James Linington.

upload_2017-3-10_16-43-53.jpeg

Yet another overseas trip to one of our games for Linington then and this one with some real travel. Previously this season he popped up at the Cottage in the 2-2 draw with Norwich (and was dreadful), followed by a no-show at the Brighton away game, an abortive attempt to see out the away match at Reading and most recently the 3-2 home win over Nottingham Forest (when he got away without too much abuse).

Since the Forest match, when he booked 3 (McDonald and Madl for us), he's only had 3 matches and added another 11 yellows. His grand total so far this season therefore now folds out at 114 yellows and 3 reds in 26 games.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Just realised the last sentence of my didn't make much sense. I meant to say that I would like to think we could match them in most areas. Hopefully!!

8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I'd go with the same side as played against Leeds. There is confidence in the camp and we are playing well. I think we'll give them a good game and won't be suprised if we come away with a win but they are a top of the league for a reason. We are the best footballing team but our results don't show that.

I had a glance about the Newcastle forums and they seem pretty layed back and expecting a good win against us. I suppose when you are on top of the league and had a good recent run then you can be a bit relaxed about things. I hope the Newcastle team have the same mentality.

9. Cottager58

A wee surprise in the line-up - going to flood the midfield and have pace when breaking up front. So .. no Martin ! Not sure why no Fredericks, other than a defensive tactic?.

...........................Button............
    ....Odoi......Kalas.........Ream.........Malone..
    .........................McDonald...
    ....Aluko..Cairney...Johansen..Sessegnon..
    ........................ Kebano...

Subs: Bettinelli, Fredericks, Madl, Parker, Sigurdsson, Cyriac and Martin

10. Fulham COYW

That is a surprise. Not got my head round this yet. It's a big pitch so maybe that has something to do with it. The gaffer will have done his homework so happy to put my trust in him - it's not necessarily a must win but a point or three would really help. Hope the plan comes off

Cravingawin likes this.

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Tom Cairney 1-0. So far so good.

12. Fulham COYW

Good first half, deserved lead but shame we did not get a second to show for our dominance. Newcastle surely can't be that bad again for the 2nd half. Scores in other games also going our way - only half way though.

13. Cottager58

A "purler" according to GJ, whatever that is. And now a "cucumber" from Ryan Sessegnon 2-0. <badger>

14. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

As things stand, we are winning 2-0 whilst Reading are trailing 3-0 to Preston and Wednesday are trailing Villa 1-0. Big half an hour to come!

EDIT: 3-0, second for Sessegnon. Close to a perfect day at the moment...

15. Cottager58

Make that "magnificent" and on a hat trick Ryan 3-0 :emoticon-0140-rofl:

16. Fulham COYW

Cutting them to ribbons according to Jamie - love it

17. Cottager58

Whoooo !

Cravingawin likes this.
  18. Cottager58

Why do we let left footed players take penalties !! :emoticon-0121-angry

19. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Why did we let a centre back take the penalty? I get not wanting Sessegnon to take it, but surely Cyriac can take a penalty?

20. Fulham COYW

How many penalties have we missed this season - unbelievable, Still good game comfortable win and without a centre forward - playoff here we come. Gaffer out thinks Rafa again !