1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Team V Man U

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Wellernever

Wellernever Well-Known Member

[

Would be if it was played at the end of the season concerned rather than pre the following season. Thought there was nothing between the teams yesterday and a draw would have been a fair result. It was boiling hot just watching, so playing must have been really hard. Glad Ranieri gave the team that won the title the chance to start at Wembley, they deserved it. Thought Fuchs was our best player, King (first half), Albrighton and Mahrez were quiet and I worry a bit about Simpson but generally I thought we did okay. Gray played right in front of us and I reckon he did well (he definitely wasn't woeful). Last season was a perfect storm - we were the best team in the premiership by a mile but we were very fortunate with injuries, suspensions, dodgy decisions etc. We will do well to get the same this season. I really think we need a creative midfield player to supplement the players we have (don't know who) . I would also love us to go for Schweinsteiger from Utd - I reckon his experience/ability would be a great addition to the squad. For me this season a top six finish would be great alongside an FA Cup win and a stirring run in the Champions League. (Can't believe I've just typed that).

Downside of yesterday - having to walk out with those f*****g arrogant United fans (who are from anywhere except Manchester). Hopefully it will end in tears for them.

2. Pull Your Fox Up

Pull Your Fox Up Active Member

Haha getting the tube back I over heard a couple of cockney Man U fans (who im sure go to every game) say "the Leicester fans are living in the past with the whole "we are champions", they need to get over it and they definitely will struggle next season". I actually felt sorry for them. They wont know what its like to follow a team you are born into through some really low times and for one season to experience one the greatest sporting miracles. For them they blindly follow a team that has never struggled and they will never experience what we did.

Jack Lesterfan and HarboroughFox like this.
  3. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I really can't make my mind up about Mahrez. He can excite for short periods and have you out of your seat with some of the things he can do and then he'll go missing for the rest of the game. Sometimes it's like playing a game of 'Where's Riyad?' as he's just so difficult to spot.

He's being touted as a player with a transfer value somewhere north of £50 million, but if we'd actually spent £50 million to buy him would we not be expecting more from him? Sure, he has talent in abundance, but the hunger, fight and willingness to go and win the ball and be involved are just not there. He can score goals out of nothing, which is an obvious plus, but he has to have someone else doing his defensive duties as he's not interested in working back or fighting to win the ball back.

I look at similar players, such as Ozil, Hazard, Ramsay and Wilshere, and see guys who want to be involved all the time and make things happen.....basically they are willing to really fight for the team. I just don't see that in Mahrez.

4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Seriously? One poor game and you are writing him off?

Doesn't last season maybe entitle him to at least a little bit of slack?

Jack Lesterfan likes this.
  5. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... his goals and assist stats (combined) last season eclipse all of those players ... so by definition he was more involved than any of them ... does Messi 'fight for the team' ... not really ... he loves possession, as does Mahrez, ... but Messi receives better supply than we give Mahrez ... of the players you mention only Hazard is really capable of doing what Mahrez can ... weaving past people with speed, agility and sublime movement ... that he isn't the best at tracking back and tackling doesn't bother me one bit ... plenty of other players in the team to compensate for that ...personally I'm more than happy to have such a 'luxury' player ... there are very few of those in the world ... we are very lucky.

6. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

It's not just one poor game. How many times did Ranieri haul him off last season because he wasn't working back? And he didn't have a great Champions Cup either.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has more talent going forward than most players currently on show in the Premier League and beyond, but I wish he wouldn't go missing in games (like the Community Shield) where we need to get at the opposition, get the ball off them high up the pitch and counter attack quickly, and he just won't do that.

7. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... i wouldn't have said that Rainieri hauled him off for not working back ... most times it was because we had already caused the necessary offensive damage to the oposition and we were switching to grind out the win mode ...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  8. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

How many times? - none.

Aside from once early on in the season when he was take off at half time because we were playing a 4-5-1 against Bournemouth and he was getting a kicking, he has never been substituted earlier then the 58th minute - and that was vs Arsenal when Simpson got sent off.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/riya...ga/0/wettbewerb/GB1/pos/0/trainer_id/0/plus/1

Last season when Simpson went up, we always had Mahrez up with him and it was up to Drinkwater or Kante to cover. The most Mahrez has really done is follow a fullback back as he is not really a defensive player and it worked out well for us as you might be able to tell by my signature...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Jack Lesterfan likes this.
  9. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

He was dropped for the Norwich match because he wasn't working hard enough.

Hes like Ibra for man u, he'll not do much for most of the game and then come up with something special, whether it be a goal, assist or outclass the defender into making a clumsy tackle to win a pen.

10. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Whilst I get that he can be frustrating, if you play him all game, every game he will win you FAR more points than lose you. A genuine match winner - and they are worth their weight in gold to any side.

FosseFilberto likes this.

11. Fantastisch Herr Fuchs

Fantastisch Herr Fuchs Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Mahrez is the player that makes this team special, and is the only one we should be making special circumstances for. The rest of the team work hard enough to make up for his defensive weaknesses.