1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Cardiff (FA Cup)

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Gaffer has confirmed in his press conference this lunch time that we'll be without Ayite and Kebano (international duty), Kalas (hamstring), Madl (illness) and Martin (binned).

On the Cardiff front Warnock has said he'll be playing a string of youngsters but I suspect that's a tad of the usual "Colin-Talk". Pretty certain he'll be putting out at least one senior player - his new signing Marouane Chamakh. Equally certain one he will not be playing is our old favourite Jazz Richards, who has been injured and gave vent to Colin's observation just before Christmas, "I've had lads with broken legs recover quicker than him".

Jokavovic says the Cup "is the best competition in the the World" - wish someone had told BBC Wales! - and "we will look to surprise some people". Aye well, hopefully but he's inevitably going to play a host of fringe players as he did in the League Cup. I'd love to see Dennis Adeniran in the McDonald role. However he's been injured and missed the last three U23 games, so can't see it.

In fact it would probably be wise to see who turns out tomorrow in the PL2 game against Stoke, which has been brought forward, before trying to second guess his selection. But in for a penny ....

......................Bettinelli.............
    ...Odoi...Sigurdsson..Madl...Sessegnon..
    .................Parker....Tunnicliffe...
    .....LVC............Piazon.......Edun...
    ......................Humphrys....

Jozabed could have been a natural in attacking midfield (meaning Piazon wide left and Edun dropping deeper instead of Tunnicliffe) but his attitude seems all wrong at the moment. Alternative De la Torre in that position (with the same alterations) could be an inspired move - he was terrific against 'Boro in the League Cup. However I feel the Gaffer will lean towards 'more experience'.

Still isn't it great to have options even when considering a 'second string'!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Guess I'd use Cardif game to see if youngsters could slot in certain positions.
    I'd like to see Smith play with a partner up front, could have been Woodrow but rumours of loan might knock that out.
    Would also have like to see Adeniran or Madl play the McDonald role.
    LVC to Cairney role and Edun to do Johansen role

......................Bettinelli.............
    Odoi...Sigurdsson..Ream...Sessegnon..
    ............McDonald..Edun...
    ................LVC....
    ...Piazon........Smith........Humphrys....

3. Cottager58

The man up today is Andy Woolmer.

upload_2017-1-8_9-54-14.jpeg

Lately our ref's seem to be coming round again quite quickly - the wee 49 year old ex-postman did the Derby game at the Cottage on 17 December. Do you reckon the
    guys enjoy our football so much that they put in special requests?

Andy booked four that day; three of ours, Fredericks, Johansen and Madl. Derby fans were a tad unhappy with the last one, which was in the final minute of injury time, since their guy was (arguably) clean through and Andy stopped play to book Madl. Overall though, I don't believe there were too many ctitics of his performance.

Since then Andy has had another 3 games and dished out 9 yellows.

4. Cottager58

Stronger team than certainly I expected:

....................Bettinelli................
    ..Odoi....Sigurdsson...Ream...Sessegnon..
    ...................McDonald...
    ..............Johansen...
    .....Fredericks...Cairney....Piazon...
    ..................Aluko..

Bench - Button, Malone, Edun, Adeniran, Jozabed, Humphrys and Smith

5. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Looking forward to being able to watch the match today, only seen us play 2-3 times this season so a rare treat today.

Its a strong looking team from us today so hopeful of a big performance.

6. Fabulous Fabio

Brilliant from us after going behind so early.

Fulham midfield bossing the game and Fredericks running riot down the right. Great to watch.

7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

It is both satisfying and immensely frustrating to watch us at the moment. We dominate teams, but sometimes we just don't put them to the sword and make some silly errors.

With a striker in the team, I think we stand a chance against anyone.

2whitestripes likes this.
  8. Cottager58

Says it all really. Our first half play was an absolute delight to watch. Second half we still dominated but the killer punch was missing.

Well done to the 700 or so travelling fans who also gave it their all.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Are we Barcelona in disguise LOL!
    Just missing a clinical CF (not from Villa) and we will beat anyone in the Championship.

Cottager58 likes this.
  10. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Yes totally dominate and comfortable win. I had a little wobble in the last 5 mins as it would have been so Fulham to concede one at the end after all that. I watched in on the BBC Wales as you suggested Cottager and it was good to hear people say positive things about the team and their play. Amazing how few were there - good to see some 700 Fulham fans though.

11. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Excellent performance by Fulham today. They dominated Cardiff for most of the game playing delightful, instinctive football.
    Cardiff chasing shadows is always a joy to behold. <laugh>

The scoreline flattered Cardiff, and 1-5 would have been a fairer reflection of Fulham's domination.

Good luck in next round.

Fabulous Fabio and Cottager58 like this.
  12. Fabulous Fabio

Thank you and good luck to Swansea for the rest of the season. Hopefully Swansea stay up and Palace go down!

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  13. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

11.30 am kick off on a Sunday was ridiculous, just to please TV. Credit to Fulham fans who made the trip. Lack of home attendance was a protest against the arrangement and in the knowledge that Colin would put out a less than full strength team.

No question Fulham deserved the win but our performance in no way replicated what we did v Villa last week. That sets the standard for what we expect the rest of this season.

Good luck for your 4th round draw. <ok>

Fabulous Fabio and Cottager58 like this.
  14. Cottager58

What really sticks in the craw were; the snide comment by Lineker at half time in that other BBC match, and the constant jibes by 5Live pundits blaming our fans for not being into "the magic of the Cup". When it was their employer's choice on viewing times that was at fault. And a decision totally disrespectful to both sets of fans.

Whatever, thanks for your words Blue. As you might have guessed not a fan of Colin but agree that you'll be in there competing in the League. Not least because of veterans like Peter Whittingham - always had a soft spot for him and convinced we should have signed him when Jol was our Gaffer.

15. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Spot on Cottager. I made a similar comment on our site. Are they that far removed from real fans that they don't understand the inconveniences of such ridiculous kick of times. Your fans must have been on the road before 7.30 to get to us on time. <applause>

On a Sunday morning in early January FFS.

I don't see any magic in that.

Cottager58 likes this.