1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Burton

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Thankfully we don't have game on deadline day - for once I agree with Big Sam that the fixture people must be nuts. Nonetheless there is the bread and butter stuff tomorrow night against Burton when we need desparately to get back into the League race.

Burton of course can't play either of our lads on loan but they'll be well boosted by Nigel Clough's decision to stay with them rather than follow in his father's footsteps and join Nottingham Forest.

We don't appear to have any injury concerns and I'm going to ignore the fractious stories that if Stockdale goes to Chelsea, Bettinelli will depart to Brighton and that Daniel Levy is going to pull young Sessegnon out of his last minute hat. So, both will still be with us tomorow and after their performances in the Cup at the weekend would keep their places in most teams. However, not here. Pretty convinced the Gaffer will revert to Button and Malone. Same with Odoi, who did okay but perhaps not enough against Hull, and I'd expect the return of Fredericks.

After all the stories and our potential new signings, I'm less sure that Martin will see out deadline day with us. The proverbial 5p goes on him being so, however. So the starting line-up:

.........................Button.........
    ..Fredericks..Kalas...Ream...Malone...
    .....................McDonald...
    ..............Johansen....Cairney...
    .....Aluko........Martin....Ayite...

Piazon dropping to the bench, Thanos the Greek hovering there as well (he looked quite accomplished in his cameo on Sunday) and the usuals (ex Matt Smith) joining them.

2. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I'm lucky enough to be working in the area so will stay on and catch the match. Never been to Burton FC so new ground for me. Looking forward to it.

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I think that will be the line up C58.
    In the home game Burton certainly did a defensive job on us that night, but Clough to his credit came out and said they got murdered in a 1-1 draw. Think we've got better since that game, but I take nothing for granted as we know the QPR game showed we can be erratic.

4. Cottager58

The man up tonight is Anthony Harrington.

upload_2017-2-1_12-49-39.jpeg

Tony is a bit unique in that he's the only one of the cabal that completed his basic referee course as part of the Duke of Edinburgh award. He's been around the EFL for a few years now though and, having done 100 matches, got his full time ref badge in the summer.

The last time we saw him was the 1-0 home defeat to Birmingham in September when you'll recall he sent off Michael Madl for his second yellow. So far this season Tony has dished out 90 yellow and 2 reds in his 22 games. A bit more than average. And certainly harsher that his 72 yellows and 3 reds in 30 games last year.

5. Cottager58

Nearly. Piazon keeps his place ahead of Ayite, who is on the bench. Petsos there as well but no Cyriac so only one attacker available from the bench!

6. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Jokanovic has shown previously that he is happy to utilise Sessegnon and Fredericks as wingers, which is presumably where our other attacking options would come from.

7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Good result tonight, against a resilient if uninspired Burton. Two goals, clean sheet, no injuries and three points... bring on the tougher challenge of Birmingham on Saturday!

8. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

On current form and league positions I think we'd have been disappointed not to win this match, but the job still needs to be done and we done it well enough. 3 points off the play offs now!

9. Cottager58

2whitestripes likes this.
  10. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Great night, the fans were in good spirits and after a first half where Burton put 11 behind the ball albeit kept there shape and discipline extremely well Fulham got exactly what there performance deserved!

11. Cottager58

Pleased you made it in the end Cookie. Heard you all in the GL commentary - 750 plus fans is not bad considering the late switch.

12. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Cheers Cottager, hadn't made a game in a while but managed to get to Hull and Burton, two wins in four days perhaps I should get down there more!!

Cottager58 likes this.
  13. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Just got back from an overnight stay. Lovely little micro-breweries there in Burton. well worth a visit. Couldn't believe it was 5 years since we played there last.

First half Fulham didn't seem to be able to break down their stubborn defence. But the second half early goal helped and Burton needed to come out more and attack so Fulham got more chances. it's a nice small ground still with standing terraces and the facilities are good.
    I hope LVC & Woodrow can do a good job for Burton, it's a nice Town to visit.

14. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Well I was there too ! First time I have been to Burton and it was great to watch the match from a standing terrace.

Comfortable win in the end. Patient first half and then much quicker in the 2nd. Once we got our goal I was comfortable we would win it.

I was looking forward to a good beer before the game and ended up in a nice old fashioned backstreet pub. Slightly disappointed with the pint which was a shame but I'm a bit fussy.