1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Ryan Fredericks is back after his suspension and available for tomorrow night's game at Ashton Gate. Otherwise they all seem okay.

Bristol City will be without Tammy Abraham who has gone back to Chelsea for treatment on a hip injury, which is good news. They didn't make life all that easy at Leeds midweek going down 2-1 and of course held Derby to 3-3 just a week or so earlier, so beware of complacency is the byword.

Expect to see Fredericks coming back in and Sessegnon for the hapless Malone. The Gaffer's big dilema is up front however. Playing all three buzz bombs from the 'African Front' at the same time just hasn't worked; they are all too similar and seem to have forgotten that part of their remit is to help defend. Consequently we've lacked shape/balance in our recent games. Piazon had a really good game against Wignan especially when he went to the unaccustomed position of right wing half so I'd bring him back. Aluko has been the most dangerous in carrying the ball from among him, Ayite and Kebano - well for an hour anyway - so I'd start with him as well.

That leaves the single front player to debate. Cyriac really hasn't had other than cameos so really difficult to judge but have the impression he's more of a wing person who likes to come inside rather than an outright 'in the box' striker. In other words, pretty much a carbon copy of Ayite and Kebano. Which leaves Chris Martin. Setting aside any attitude issues I'd question his match fitness. But ... with him we have more balance and even if he lacks mobility and even if he rarely challenges for a header, just being there in the middle keeps the oppo's backs occupied.

Like him or loathe him Martin has to play; to give us balance. If he doesn't there's a significant problem at Motspur Park and we've wasted a shed load of money not to mention opportunities. Anyway, to start the game -

........................Button........
    ..Fredericks..Kalas..Ream..Sessegnon..
    .......................McDonald..
    ...Piazon...Cairney...Johansen...Aluko..
    ........................Martin...

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Minor point (I otherwise agree), but Piazon should be on the left. Aluko is much more effective on the right, where he can get outside and around the opposition left back. I hope Piazon does come back, I think he offers more than Ayite at the moment.

3. Cottager58

Agree that Piazon and Aluko would normally be the way round you suggest Surly. However I plumped for Piazon on the right this time because of the work he did there in the second half against Wigan and better if 4 across the middle. Aluko quite often switches wings (wanders?) anyway and at the start of the season he was mostly on the left, where he did okay.

4. Cottager58

What more incentive do we need than tonight's results.

Sheffield Wednesday drop 3pts losing 2-1 at home to Brentford; Reading drop 3pts losing 1-0 away to Huddersfield; Derby drop 2pts at home thanks to our friends at Burton holding them to a 0-0 draw.

PS Matt Smith scored again for QPR, Omar Bogle equalised for Wigan before QPR ran out 2-1 winners.

5. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Agreed Cottager, now its up to us to perform.
    Cauleys return would definatly add to our much needed fire power

6. Cottager58

I meant to reply to the Captain when he posted earlier as well about recalling Cauley Woodrow. Unfortunatey the new FA rules don't allow a recall outside of the tranfer window. So we're stuck with what we've got I'm afraid.

The Club must have known this when they entered those last days of January (letting Cauley and Humphrys go on loan and selling Matt Smith), all of which makes their futile deadline day attempts so much more galling.

7. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the lineup there C58. I'm not sure 100% about Martin's attitude, think I'd give Kebano another go, and give Cyriac more time to train & bed in.

8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Results tonight went well for us. I'd go for Martin tomorrow - he's been left out and has surely got to prove to Joka that he has the right attitude. Derby at the moment don't look like top 6 and he maybe regretting his earlier decision. Comments above are a bit harsh on Malone, I agree he's not had a couple of good games but he was excellent as recently as the Burton game. Having said that it has to be Fredericks tomorrow.

9. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I think we should play Cyriac as CF, he has not really had much opportunity so far and you cannot judge him from the Spurs game (nobody shone in that one). He looks beefier than our other guys who want to play and looked to leap well for headers and winning them vs Spurs. First reactions to many of our current players was not the best, lets give him some match time to prove himself.

10. Cottager58

We've got Tim Robinson tonight.

upload_2017-2-22_12-42-26.jpeg

Shouldn't say anything critical about Burton Albion given the magnificent way they are helping us at the moment. So I'll point instead to Tim who was completely oblivious to Burton's time wasting in the 1-1 draw at the Cottage. Since then the ex-PE teacher oversaw our 2-0 away to Brentford and we were so good that night that Tim was hardly needed. He did manage to book Kevin McDonald though.

Last season he ramped up 149 yellows and 9 reds in 43 games. So far this season he's well on the way to breaking that total with 9 reds and 133 yellows already in his 29 games.

11. Cottager58

No Aluko - that's only the second start he's missed this season; the other time was Wigan away when he was injured.

No Striker - the front three are Ayite, Kebano and Piazon.

12. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Piazon makes it 1-0

A well deserved lead by the sounds of things.

13. Cottager58

14. Cottager58

And now it's 2-0 Tom Cairney

15. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

And now a rare sighting of Chris Martin as well. What a crazy evening.

16. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Good win and closing in on those play offs, well done boys.

First time this season we've managed to win 3 league games in a row, hopefully a sign that we're coming into a nice bit of form just at the right time.

17. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Three wins in a row. Very tricky game against Neil Warnock's resurgent Cardiff next, then Preston and Leeds at home. Interesting times!

18. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Its nice to see us closing in on he play off teams, but i feel that
    some of those past silly losses may have cost us.
    Oh how we could have done with Dembele this season

19. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Agree about the silly losses, Ros. Without that run we'd be in the playoff positions right now and looking up at Brighton and Newcastle. Not so sure about the Dembele point though, I think the team is better this season in part because we've lost the egos of Dembele and McCormack.

That said we really could have done with some money from selling Dembele to invest in Sergi Enrich (or similar). And we could really do with another one of your favourites back, Emerson Hyndman. I worry that an injury to Cairney ends our season, whilst Hyndman would be lighting up the Championship right now.

Cottager58 likes this.
  20. Cottager58

What a way to bounce back after Sunday. Up to 7th. Who'd have bet on us scoring 54 goals at this stage - without Dembele et al. And another clean sheet - even without roc's outside favourite Tarkowski. :emoticon-0105-wink:

All credit to the Gaffer and the other unsung heroes; Stuart Gray, Alberto Escobar and Javier Peirera. Oh, and this guy as well -

please log in to view this image