1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Brentford

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The good news from the Gaffer at today's press conference is that Stefan Johansen is okay to play (his problem when he came off last weekend was apparently painful at the time - a boot stud from a Huddersfield player on top of his big toe - but no more than that). Chris Martin is of course still not available and Ragnar Sigurdsson is out with a calf problem but otherwise all okay.

Brentford, as well as ourselves, are the high scorers in the Championship so we know the threat; with Jota in especially good form. However they are carrying a number of injuries to key players. Alan McCormack (groin), Josh McEachran (ankle), Lewis Macleod (knee) and Alan Judge (leg) are all doubtful. Ryan Woods has recovered from his foot injury but may not be risked.

For us, there's no question that the most potent side at the moment is the one that started against Huddersfield. Young Sessegnon missed three good chances against them but as the saying goes, "at least he was in the right place to take them" so ought to keep his place - tough on Kebano and Piazon though it may be. Fredericks showed his petulant side (again) but on his day Ryan is key to our offensive play. The starting Xl then:

..........................Bettinelli.....................
    ...Fredericks....Kalas....Ream....Malone..
    ..........................McDonald....
    ................Cairney..........Johansen....
    ......Aluko..........Ayite.........Sessegnon....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that team, C58. Sessegnon has the best impact when he can run into space behind the opposing right back, which tends to be much more possible against open attacking teams. Brentford are a good attacking team, so I think we play Sessegnon ahead of the Piazon/Martin combination I expect in Sheffield.

If we do manage to open up a lead, I hope Parker/Piazon step in to give Cairney/Johansen some down time. I am more than a little scared of a Cairney injury right now!

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I think It's one of those games that I think we would have benefited from having Martin in the team. But I've been pleasantly surprised with the combinations that have been chosen..
    I guess the game could all be about which attack comes out on top of the defences. I think the Ref might have a big say in the game if he is one that likes getting his cards out, it's a local derby so passions will be high and so might the tackles.
    Guess it is another game of score more than the other team.

4. Cottager58

The man up is Darren Bond

upload_2017-4-29_9-25-17.jpeg

Darren is Mr Below-Average when it comes to cards but he does have his moments. The last time we saw him was back in December for that 4-4 draw with Wolves at Molineux and he booked 7; the 3 of ours yellowed were Fredericks, Cairney and Malone. Our only other match with him this season was also away, the 1-1 draw with Nottingham Forest. A more normal day for our Darren when only 2 went in the book, both from Forest.

In his 36 games so far this season he's dolled out 'only' 106 yellows and 3 reds.

He's a pretty experienced ref, with 20 years behind him and looks destined for the big time having been a linesman in a number of premiership games over that last couple of years.

5. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

OMG. So pumped for this game. Can a 47 year old say pumped?

6. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

Why not - I am 64 and I'm pumped!

Cravingawin likes this.
  7. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Another penalty missed!!!!

8. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

We are in the play offs!
    Absolutely believable....<badger><badger><badger><badger><badger><badger>

<party> <party> <party> <party> <party> <party>

:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

Yes, I'm pleased!!!!!!!!!!!!

COYW's

9. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

So Fulhamish to just scrape through. Thank you to Norwich.

10. Cottager58

How does it go? Ah right, :emoticon-0159-music "We've got one more game at the Cottage" :emoticon-0159-music

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

11. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Ive had a few celebration pints and all is good. Match should have been sewn up at half time but we like to do it this difficult way. Great day out and looking forward to the play offs now although I have still got tickets for Sheffield Wednesday next week. I can sit back now and just enjoy that game I think.

Cravingawin likes this.
  12. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Nice of Norwich to do us a favour, and get us over the line, Has saved me from a Heart Attack next Sunday unless we blow a 14 goal gap.. Wonder if the news of Cairney's goal made Leeds jittery.
    Defence was mainly solid and comfortable - midfield three all made an impression - up front was where I thought Ayite disappointed yesterday. Thought 1st Half Aluko was outstanding. Couple of very good chances wasted along with the penalty miss in the first half could of seen us with a comfortable lead at HT. Piazon didn't really get into the game when he came on. In the 2nd half our crossing was so poor.

Set pieces are getting to the stage where they're becoming pointless from Fulham's perspective can't remember a season where corners have meant so little.
    We are going to finish 6th so it looks like the home tie will be 13th/14th, luckily for us Chelsea play Watford on the Monday 15th, so we can do either the Sat or Sun wonder what time the KO will be.

Cravingawin likes this.
  13. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Phew :emoticon-0141-whew:

Got there in the end with a little help from our friends.....

Would've liked to beat Brentford and confirm the play off spot for ourselves, but also just to beat Brentford and do the double over them this season would've been nice. Anyway, we're there and thats all that matters. Bring it on!!

14. Cottager58

This. Spot on summary Superbri.

If we get Saturday the 13th the kick off is 5pm and if Sunday 14th it's at 12pm. At the Cottage either way, as you say.