1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Blackburn

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Looking at the training pictures on the official site everyone looks fine and Petsos appears to be back. We will of course still be missing Piazon and Ayite.

Blackburn are anothe side with a new manager and Mowbray seems to have got the organised; unbeaten in their last five matches picking up 9 points on the way. In Saturday's 2-2 draw with Norwich he had to make enforced changes but in the three games prior to that he fieded an unchanged side, so they're not going to be lacking in confidence. And Mowbray is unlikely to make many changes for this one. Believe he'll still be without Charlie Mulgrew (transfer memories!) but Craig Conway will be back and Danny Graham (more transfer memories!) is likely to keep his place).

For us, I suspect the Gaffer will also make few changes. Although he's likely to revert to his more conventional group and format. The only question marks are at RB, LB and CF. Does he bring Fred back in? Does he rest Sessegnon? Does he risk Martin? Going for:

.........................Button..............
    ..Odoi......Kalas.....Ream....Malone...
    ......................McDonald.......
    ....Fredericks..Cairney...Johansen...
    ..........Aluko................Kebano....

1. Against my better judgement to play Malone rather than Sessegnon. Believe though that it would be the correct thing so as not to put pressure on the youngster and/or put game "overload" on him.

2. Not playing Martin and putting Fred at wing back is just me being controversial !

2. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

All of the following 10 games are massive. This one in particular as it's our game in hand. It would be great to get the 3 points but Blackburn are very solid and full of confidence.
    But having said that so are we and we're playing some really very good football. The best I've seen for a long, long time and we're hitting form at just the right time (touchwood). Slavisa got his tactics spot against Newcastle and I can't think why he wouldn't against Blackburn.
    COYW , I'm believing again and I love it!

3. Cottager58

It's Blackburn's game in hand as well. And only one other Championship side has done the double over Newcastle ... yup, Blackburn. Just saying !

4. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

This stage of the season is a nightmare as teams down the bottom are literally fighting for there life's and you get more surprise results! Our next three fixtures, Blackburn home, Wolves home and Rotherham away I would be delighted with 7 points!

5. Cravingawin

I'd just like to say that it's the quality of football that has got me excited again. If we make the fresh bagels great. If not great.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  6. Cottager58

See from the official website that Scotty Parker is out with a "back problem" - all those calisthenics he does at the half time warm up? Dennis Adeniran wasn't in in last night's U23 squad so expect another more than promising youngster coming off the bench tonight.

7. Cottager58

The man looking after things tonight is Andy Davies.

upload_2017-3-14_13-24-34.jpeg

We've seen the ex-Pompey, Gillingham and Yeovil player a few times already this season. The last time was the 2-0 home win against Barnsley when he booked 2 of theirs. Prior to that it was way back early on in EFL Cup matches; the 2-1 defeat to Bristol City at the Cottage in September, Jesses Joronen getting yellow carded, and in August when we beat Leyton Orient 3-2, Dennis Adeniran being given a yellow for celebrating his first senior goal with his Dad !

The Jaap Stam look-a-like Andy doesn't exactly demonstrate any empathy from his playing days. Last season he managed 127 yellows and 5 reds in 36 games. This year he's well on the way to exceeding that above average record. Since the Barnsley game he's overseen a further 6 and handed out 23 yellows bring his total so far to a whopping 111 yellows and 4 reds in 31 matches.

8. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

.........................Button..............
    ..Fredericks.....Kalas.....Ream....Malone...
    ............Johansen..........McDonald.......
    ....Kebano..........Cairney..........Sessegnon
    ...........................Aluko....................

I almost nailed it - I thought Martin would come in for Sessegnon. Fredericks for Odoi is standard (Slav likes Fredericks' pace against lower teams), but very surprised that we've stuck with Sessegnon. Should be a good game though - COYW!

9. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Nice to get a goal right before half time, and well deserved by the sounds of thing. Lets get an early goal in the 2nd half and hopefully put this one to bed.

10. Cottager58

Fair play to Mowbray, he's got Blackburn organised and his subs made a big difference. Unlike ours ... well one of them. I really hope we don't see Chris Martin again; is the guy actually capable of jumping to challenge the ball or even get up enough steam to run?

What a night for another sub though. Cyriac, an instant hero ... almost. Thanks to the numpties at the other end, yes you Ream and especially you Button, his goal won't even be remembered.

Oh how I hate bloody 'B' teams - Birmingham, Bristol, Burton and now Blackburn. The gutting thing with throwing this one away in the last 10 seconds is that instead of being in the driving seat, we are now back to being in the hand of of others.

Long live Fulhamish

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

11. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

We didn't deserve 3 points.

Johansen has been poor for about a month now, tonight Cairney/McDonald didn't cover for him and we ground to a halt. No more Martin, he's unfit and uncommitted. Credit to Cyriac, that's the second time we've gotten the ball to him in the middle and he's had one header on target and buried a great finish. He deserves to start.

I'm really annoyed with our lethargic approach tonight and I'm going to bed to sleep it off.

12. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

I think we tired 2nd half. Didn't deserve to win and a battling Blackburn did well. Fulhamish

13. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Frustrating not to get the 3 points but lets forget about this one and continue with our challenge getting into the play offs. Keep in mind Reading and Sheff Wed play eachother this weekend, so as long as we win our game then the result of that one doesn't matter, we will be in the play offs this weekend.

The ball will be in our court, and teams around us have some hard fixtures coming up. We need to win on Saturday AND against Rotherham, anything less than 6 points from these games now will makes things hard on ourselves.

14. Cravingawin

Typical Fulham. Hey ho. Still a point, Blackburn deserved their point to be honest. We're still in the hunt. There'll be a few more twists and turns to come.
    Martin was a waste of a sub. Cyriac came on and did so well. Johanson has been off the boil for a while although he played well in the first half. Lots of positive stuff and we're the gift that keeps on giving. There's got to be some karma brownie points for that?

15. Cottager58

As I did Surly and on on waking this cheered me up somewhat:

Fulham unbeaten in their last 8 league games with the interesting stats of .... Played 8, Won 5, Drawn 3, Lost 0. Points 18. Goals for 18. Goals against 11.

2whitestripes likes this.
  16. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Don't know what was said at half time but it didn't galvanise the team, it was like someone had zapped their energy. Blackburn came out and started to play, Kalas giving them a penalty was a boost to them. Blackburn looked more of a threat in the 2nd half then Fulham, but frustrating to give a goal like that in the final minute.
    My problem still lies with Ream losing concentration during games, he has played well recently but in every game he just seems to switch off at the wrong time. Button doesn't seem to communicate with his back 4.
    Plenty more games to go and I'd expect more twists and turns to come.

17. Cottager58

Lest we forget ... King Cyriac