1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Barnsley

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Gaffer said in his press conference today that everyone is fit. Including Tomas Kalas. He then dropped a little bomb shell by confirming that Chris Martin is fit and ready to play.

Barnsley, not the biggest side but definitely a tough one, are quietly under the radar - perhaps more than us - and their consistency sees them sitting in 8th spot. A brief look at the table explains why. They score goals.

Rumours going around are that they are about to sell top scorer Sam Winnall to Sheffield Wednesday and bring in Omar Bogle of Grimsby as his replacement (at an alleged £500k which would be an absolute steal!). However as of this lunchtime neither transfers are reported as having gone through. The stories nonetheless may have a unsettling effect - to match our own.

Back to us. Kalas must surely play and the only question is who will be alongside him? Madl is fit again but for some reason not a favourite. Sigurdsson has also been out of favour a tad but had probably his best game against Cardiff (which possibly doesn't say too much). Ream is heading up the match day programme. He'll probably get the nod.

With Ayite and Kebano off to the ANC, the choice are limited up front. However if Jokanovic does play Martin from the outset he has a mini issue about whether to play Fredericks as a wing half or revert to him as RB. My gut feeling is that Martin will start on the bench. So ...

..........................Button.........
    ....Odoi..........Kalas....Ream....Malone..
    .......................McDonald....
    .............Johansen.....Cairney.....
    ....Fredericks.....Aluko.......Piazon...

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Good and surprising news about Kalas. The cold weather could be his undoing to be involved if he is not 110%.
    I guess that could be the lineup. For me Ream lacks concentration during a game so one of either Sigurdsson or Madl would be my choice.
    Only people at the club will know if talk of Martin being available is to take some of the pressure off the situation.
    Barnsley will be tough and obviously try hitting us on the break. This game will not be over with only a one goal difference

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. Cottager58

A more detailed explanation from the Gafffer about Chris Martin:

"Chris Martin is fit too. He is available and we expect that he is going to start scoring the goals.

It’s good news for us, he’s been working with us, he’s available and he is focused on Fulham and he is an important part of my team.

All of us believe that in the future he is going to go up in value and be an important player for us in this competition and in the future too.

"We have resolved this situation inside the dressing room and he’s committed 100 % with us, we believe in him, the team believes in him too and I expect the supporters are going to help us, like they have always done this season and as I have experienced as Fulham coach
    ."

Expect there will be mixed reacton from the fans. Most will be relieved though if the matter has been truly resolved and as always, if things go the right way, we have short memories. Could be that this is a firm indication that he'll start in which case probably the 'old formation' with Fredericks going to RB.

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

We could really, really do with Chris Martin starting and scoring in the first half at the Putney End. Otherwise it could get a bit ugly, although I think enough fans will trust enough in Slavisa to neutralise the boos.

If he's fit, he starts. Coming off the bench is a recipe for trouble.

5. Cottager58

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Presumably that means no Winnall for Barnsley, but with no replacement for tomorrow?

7. Cottager58

Would appear so Surly. Grimsby have confirmed that they received and rejected an offer for Bogle yesterday but wouldn't say who the club was. From the stories going the rounds, pretty safe bet it was Barnsley.

The Winnall transfer hots up the game tomorrow between our other rivals Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield. And what with Reading losing to £279m in debt QPR last night .... all we have to do is win to boost our position.

Cravingawin likes this.
  8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Hope this is finally over. I'm not happy with Chris Martin but will not be booing. We need him to score a few goals and help us move up the table. We're playing well and under the circumstances we have continued our good form. Fans so far have been amazingly calm over this saga and for the good of the season we just need to move on.

Good news that their striker has been sold and Kalas is back. I hope Kalas is fit enough to start. Barnsley are a good side but I think we are much better.

9. Cottager58

The man up today is Andy Davies.

please log in to view this image

Andy is a fairly rare breed in that he used to be a player (Gillingham no less, among others) before taking up ref'ing after an injury. He's been around for the last 12 years and got his full time status last summer. We've seen him a couple of times this season, in the EFL Cup. The 3-2 win against Orient and the 2-1 loss to Bristol City.

Last year he was pretty average dolling out 127 yellows and 5 reds in 36 games. Don't know whether given the whistle as a day job has anything to do with it but this season he's upped the anti. Already, in 24 games, he's produced 86 yellows and 4 reds. His busiest games so far have been Ipswich v Brighton with 7 yellows and one red and Cardiff v Aston Villa when he issued 8 yellows.

10. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Martin starts!! Be interesting to see what sort of reception he gets.

11. Fabulous Fabio

We finally score a penalty!!! And Martin the man to do it. Back and scoring goals can only be good for him and Fulham.

12. Cottager58

Yet another team in the the top group flattered by the score. The quality of of our football in the second half especially was as good as you'll see anywhere. Make no mistake, Barnsley are a well organised, nippy team - they didn't come into the game in 8th spot without good cause - but they simply couldn't cope.

Where to start ? The machiavellian triangles of Fredericks, Aluko and Cairney ? The ground covered by Johansen ? Piazon's running off the ball ? The zero to hero display of Martin ? Possibly any or all of them. However my beginning would be with Tomas Kalas who gave our back division so much stability and my ending would be Kevin McDonald ... just supreme the way he commanded and marshalled the middle of the park.

Guess the other question is, so why only 2 goals and one of those a penalty to boot ? Lots of reasons but who cares. We got a clean sheet, a decisive win against a team aboove us and were an absolute delight to watch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. Fabulous Fabio

Its exciting times ahead for us I feel, we're going from strength to strength and getting ourselves closer to those play offs. Its a real compliment to the team and manager that already a few times this season opposition players and managers have said Fulham are the best footballing side they have seen all season, we really are being treated to some brilliant stuff this season and have put ourselves in a good position and with some very winnable games coming up.

14. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

My first game since the beginning of the season and what a transformation, for me it would be
    difficult to pick out any individual. Looking through past results its a pity we could not have picked up
    a few more points ,leaving us within promotion striking distance.
    A couple of additions in this window ? but more importantly hanging on to what we ave got.
    well done lads .

15. Cottager58

The returning hero - Take 1

The returning hero - Take 2

16. Fabulous Fabio

Lovely goal from Malone.

I was a bit hard on Malone in the first few weeks of the season and wasn't really impressed by him but hes definitely changed my mind on that, turning into a very good player, especially in the attacking half!

17. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Great game today. You could see why Barnsley have done well this season but we kept them under control and dominated again possession. We started well with many shots dangerously wide or saved but Barnsely too had chances with a move called just offside and hitting the crossbar. I've yet to see a replay but our penalty claim looked soft but it gave us the lead at half time which was advantageous.

Second half we were more dominate and on another day could have scored five. Great cross from martin and wonderful goal from Malone. It was a brilliant display throughout the ninety minutes against a good side. We are building momentum and if we continue in this vain will be at least in the top six. After five years of disappointment it was a joy to watch. I'm starting to lose the jitters when teams come on the attack in our area - the goal from no where after sixty minutes of good hard work.

Who has the man of the match - for me it was difficult to point to one players. It was a team effort, everyone playing their part. Regaining the ball when we lose it, and spreading the play throughout the pitch. I love the Fredericks and Malone runs, taking on players and crossing.

There was a risk that there may be some booing for Martin but I heard none. The matter for me has been forgotten. We played well, scored the penalty and made the second goal. We needed him in the team today and he was great.

Promotion will be difficult but I'm enjoying our play and we will be tough opposition for who ever we play.

Cravingawin likes this.