1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tammys replacement?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redandy, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Redandy

Redandy Active Member

There was a great divide this season as to the amount of money/wages we should've spent or not.

What now do we think we should do to replace Tammy? Yes as always after the last season or maybe even 2, we have a massive job on our hands trying to attract a big name striker, but the question is, should we spend high and pay big wages as per Gayle/ Gray, or should we more prudent?
    Stick or twist?

I admit that hopefully McClousky looks to be a great raw talent, but some people are making him out to be a savior for next season. But IMO is too early and he hasn't had any experience of this league, he looked a little lost/rabbit in headlights when he came on as sub, i think against Hull in the cup, so i think maybe a season in and around the first team, or perhaps on loan to someone lower Championship/ top L1 may be an option.

Over to you peeps, what do you say?

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend big money on just one player. Injury or being Red carded would put us back to square one.
    Think maybe we were lucky with Tammy and I don't see that happening again next season......Some clever scouting is required!!

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I agree that we were lucky regarding Tammy (though, great scouting also). The club trapped lightning in a bottle and it would be difficult to replicate that and unreasonable to expect it.

However, I do think that spending a decent amount on targets would be a good idea, provided they're calculated risks. A lot is made of what we spent last summer, but with the sale of Kodjia, we were actually very much in credit (http://www.transferleague.co.uk/bristol-city/english-football-teams/bristol-city-transfers).

It's very easy to waste money if you're not careful and every transfer involves an element of risk in case of injuries or whatever, but not taking a gamble at all is a risk in itself. I think we would struggle to outspend many other Championship teams in order to find success, so being savvy is necessary to exceed expectations. We did well signing Kodjia from Ligue 2, and Huddersfield went left-field bringing in Kachunga from Germany. There is value to be had out there if you're able to find it. Lack of imagination will see you spend £30m+ on strikers a la Aston Villa, with mixed results at best.

4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I don't think we have ever had the policy of spending big to become successful and it's unlikely that scenario will change. Searching the woods for future talent, whether it be on a loan agreement or by scouting them ourselves, is the most likely way we will go and if you look at the talent that have graced the turf at Ashton Gate you know we have been a breeding ground for those on the way up the ladder to better things. So which way will SL and Lee go in their quest to bring sustainability to Bristol City?

In the overall scheme of things you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, which makes the task of building us up to where we want to be more difficult that we can ever imagine and I wish the people involved in that task the best of luck because in the end we all know what we want to see in the future. I want to put this season, and all it's complexities regarding management and players, soundly to sleep and wake up to what I hope is the dawn of a new era. Please!

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Me I'm not too bothered for years now we've had these 20 plus stand out strikers (Baldock, Kodjia and Tammy) but our best year was when the goals was shared out in our promotion season. Which to be honest I much prefer sharing the goals out more around the team.
    For two years running now we've unearthed gems so scouting can't be too much of an issue.

6. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Taylor could come good and Djuric. Both are unknown but if they got 10 each with a few from Paterson that could be a good start. We do need a striker as a main man though and finding one wont be easy. Midfield need to weigh in more, Pack and Smith aren't really known for their goal scoring. Flint has 5 this season now which isn't bad from a centre back. Even Wright, who I rate highly got his first goal for nearly 3 years.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Our top scorer was Byfield in our playoff final year - with 14 goals!!!

8. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Hasn't Super Bob Taylor spawned any kids?

He was amazeballs.....

9. RedorDead

I was talking about two yeas ago in league one.
    But don't that show in 2008 more players scored meaning more man marking. With these regular goal scorers Tammy or Kodjia it was all about feeding them.
    Mind you Kodjia got slatted for missing more chances than scoring and should of been a winger.

10. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

maybe just maybe tomlin will stop flattering to deceive and step up to the mark, and begin to earn his in flated wage.

11. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

If Engvall gets a good few loan games under his belt and is fit pre-season then he could be one of the answers

12. framptonfrank

framptonfrank Active Member

Thought that he got a serious knee injury in his last game on loan

13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think Tammy may be the REASON for other's lack of goals.
    Don't get me wrong - I love him and his goals - and he would be the first on my team sheet, but he has been keeping the other players out.

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

How about Lee Trundle?

Lee Trundle: 45 goals and a league title
    Swansea City legend Lee Trundle came out of retirement in August to sign for Welsh Football League Division Two side Llanelli Town.

Since then the 40-year-old - who also played for Wrexham and Bristol City - has scored 45 goals in 26 games, including eight hat-tricks, and has helped Llanelli win promotion.

15. RedorDead

Perhaps sell him, and get Peter Whittingham as a replacement. He's possibly playing his last games for Cardiff and moving to us would mean no house move. I know he's 32, but you've got to admire his loyalty to Cardiff when he could of moved for more money.

16. RedorDead

17. framptonfrank

framptonfrank Active Member

Strike force will be a concern next season but I'm more concerned about losing Flint, now that would be a huge loss

18. RedorDead

Will be a loss, but we do have two replacements for Flint in Maggers and Taylor Moore.

Red Robin likes this.