1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tammy ****in Abraham

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by RobEllious, May 25, 2017.

1. Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck Active Member

I don't like the idea of a loan but if a straight sale is not an option I would think a sale with an added buy back option would make the most sense. On the topic of Adam Armstrong I don't look too deep into how many he has grabbed for Barnsley seeing as though to begin with he was used sparingly and to add to that, Harry Kane didn't impress too many whilst in the Champ with Leicester City.

2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I don't like the loan system. If it were left to me i would ban the loan system except in exceptional circumstances. That being said i do acknowledge most current PL clubs are relying on the loan system which in itself is ludicrous given the amount of money Sky has already paid over and is continuing to pay to PL clubs. I am realistic and accept we will need to use the loan system at least in the short term. In relation to Abrahams he looks as though he could be a good player but he has only had one good season and that was in the Championship. We also have Armstrong though and I've not seen anything to say Abrahams is going to be so much better than Armstrong that we now discard Armstrong to have Abrahams for one season. If we are looking for someone on loan go for the likes of a Batshuayi who is more likely than Abrahams to score in the PL. he has done it at that level whereas Abrahams hasn't. So I'm struggling in this particular case as to why its thought we should agree a loan for a non proven youngster who has never scored in the PL (I think) to the detriment of our own England striker at that level and instead of getting a proven scorer in the PL.

J. J. McClure and Flash like this.
  3. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Chelsea would be very sad.

4. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Latest blurb reporting Brighton may be ahead of us in this, hmmm, Brighton may be attractive to him as they would pretty much guarantee him a starting place.

We need to get this one sewn up, can't let Brighton snap him up.

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Closer to home too. Young lad, it will matter.

6. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Difference is that Abraham appears to be ready now whereas Arma doesn't and he will improve more out on loan in the championship than playing in our under 23's

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  7. magpie290761

And in a year or two it's highly likely they will have discarded him

8. magpie290761

My only concern looking at Abraham's goals this season are that they allmost all appear to be relative tap ins. I know being a good poacher is a skill in itself but to be a really top striker you need to be a good enough player to create and score in other ways than that. Maybe he can show that as he appears to be big strong and quite fast but time will tell.
    I also prefer to buy or to loan someone we have a chance of buying but maybe for this starter season we have to be realistic and do what we can then build season on season. With £100M minimum coming in every year if you stay in then the resources will come.

9. leez

leez Well-Known Member

when bristol city played brighton he was upfront by himself , he held the ball up really well ..and have the c half s allover .... decent player . yous recon he would not be available like if he done well guys

10. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Difference is we own Armstrong and he should be our main focus - both him or Abrahams would be a risk but at least give that risk to our own!

11. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Bristil City have young strikers too, if they thought like that, and gave the chance to their youngsters last year rather than Abraham, then they'd have got relegated.

Armstrong may turn out to be Prem quality, but he definitely isn't yet, Abrahams on the other hand is clearly ready, and is far less of a risk than Armstrong.

Plus with the loan we may end up being able to make a bid at the end of the season and snap up a bargain like Everton did with Lukaku.

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Based on one season in the Championship he is now ready for the PL? Nah! Also, I refer my learned friend to that of Carl Cort - top goalscorer for a relegated PL team - turns out he is then dog ****e! I then refer my learned friend to that of Andy Carroll, was loaned to a Championship team and was dog ****e and yet in the PL he was quality.

Also our coaching staff should know Arma, his strengths and weaknesses and play to them. How is Armstrong going to achieve success at Newcastle United if he does not play for Newcastle United?

Kryptonite likes this.
  13. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Given the uncertainty you've just referred to, isn't the best answer to the question "Arma or Abra" to have both? Give Arma another season in the championship - if he's getting regular game time he will improve. In the mean time, give Abra a go on loan and negotiate an option to buy that's a reasonable balance between his potential and the risk we're taking on him.

I think we all want young strikers to come in and be heroes, and sometimes that can be counterproductive to their development.

14. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Not to me, we should focus on Arma all day long!

15. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Exactly - and in that time, he misses on out on playing footy with his mates, school team etc etc - they eventually decided it wasn't worth the hassle

The lad loves playing football - try explaining to an 8yr old he can't play with his mates because he's under contract <doh>

magpie290761 likes this.
  16. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Off to Brighton <ok>

Flash likes this.
  17. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Exactly, I think it's a seasonal goals thing. In an ideal world do I want this? No. But we're Newcastle and the gap between us and Chelsea is massive, we're not above loans.
    I think Benitez's teams demand a scorer and not alot else to be honest. I think that's why Gayle's played more and Mitro has floundered. Even then, I found myself often screaming at Gayle for missed opportunities so maybe we can create enough in a 5 man midfield.
    On Armstrong, however you put it if he'd scored that amount last season we wouldn't be having this conversation. He can show us that this season on loan. We're preparing for not getting relegated next season, fail to see sticking to a hopeful ideology of Geordie youth helping

magpie290761 and Tol3 like this.
  18. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Apparently 'on the verge' of joining us on loan.

Honestly, I'm just glad to see some players coming "over the line" early doors. Abraham could be great, he could be sh!te in the prem. That applies to any player - we just need a squad with enough quality and depth that we end up with a decent first XI. This is a good start.

leez and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  19. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Decent player, not a lot wrong with it and we may agree a first option at the end of the loan (or we may not). Point is we need to score goals next year. We know for sure Mitrovic isn't going to do it, Perez still hit and miss, Arma's unproven, Gayle's never fit for long enough, but all need and probably deserve more game time. Abraham can have no qualms about bench time if he's not our player.

leez likes this.
  20. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Abrahams = Andy Cole mark II. The parallels are uncanny. This lad will go on to be a top player.

leez likes this.