1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Who managed a fine 2-0 home defeat this afternoon.

Markthehorn likes this.
  2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I will usually take a point away from home. Swansea under a new manager will feel they should have edged it

3. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Ah the Gower, many happy holidays there and Rhossilli Bay must be the best in the World!

4. Scullion

Well I found the 0-0 quite entertaining esp 2nd half. Barrow a real nuisance and MOM?
    Gomes on song too.
    We defended well which is comforting and becoming able to be able to see games out at the end.
    Thought Iggy & Deeney worked better than Deeney/Success although Iggy and Deeney seem to have lost their touch a bit but both put in a shift.
    We need Janmaat back to give us something down the wing.
    What were the black armbands for and why did one have captain on it (Capoue or Cholebas I think.)
    Watched an American stream where the commentary was quite even handed, ie they don't expect teams to beat Watford for a cheap 3 points and didn't mention how many managers we had etc etc quite objective on the main incidents too.

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

meh, a point is not too bad....

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Result good - performance - not

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  7. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

That was frustrating all round. Neither had the wit or the wisdom to win it and neither deserved to lose. Thought Behrami had a nailed on penalty, awful decision even by the standards we are used to. Right in front of me too. That said we'd probably have missed it.
    Now in the No Sign Bar with a pint of Dark Side of the Moose. A half decent duo playing different covers from 60' and 70's. Steak on it's way....

8. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Also met very friendly Swansea fans. Very helpful. Just top to be fair.

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Aberfan disaster 50 years ago..

10. Mexican Hornet

Enjoy the meal Fez!!

I did not think that was a pen nor the Iggy flick and hand ball claim. To be honest Behrami was looking for it IMHO with regards to the first one.

The performances are below par, but can not complain as grinding out points....

DragonPhilljack likes this.

11. Markthehorn

Probably have not got the arrogance and cockiness of a big team support.

Know their place and accept what comes (generally..)

Same sort of club like us really - made thier way up to the top flight around the same time as us - both now and in the 80s.

Sure there was some Welsh/England banter though!

12. Mexican Hornet

Watford boss Walter Mazzarri told BBC Sport: "The first half was the best we have played and how I want my team to play. We have to be more aggressive in the last 25 metres.

"I tend to not comment on the referees, but today there were two very clear penalties for us. Those decisions are the ones that meant we did not go away with the three points.

"I was very happy with the performance because today we played in a very smooth way, we didn't throw long balls, we played from the defence and I liked it, they are doing what I have said."

Really?

13. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't say that I was that happy with it. I could see what was intended, but when you give the ball away as often as we did with bad passing, then there is plenty of pressure to deal with. I am not sure that we looked as if we could score, despite there being very large spaces in the Swans defence.

14. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

A game of incredibly low standards. Watford should have had 2 penalties and Britton should have been sent off. The ref almost as bad for as bad for both teams. Had we played like we did against Manchester City and Liverpool we'd have won today and by some distance (assuming Watford played the same) but we have manager who talks big but has set us back light years. The best we can hope for is lumping the ball out of defence and hoping.
    Much talk around me about how well Watford passed the ball and how much better they were than the Swans.
    The PL needs teams our size but I fear we won't be playing you next season.

15. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I think he watched a different game to us, Mex. in addition to your highlighted bit. We seemed to be using the long ball most of the time. They weren't penalties, either.

16. Markthehorn

Bob - Yes it will be interesting to see if he tries to adopt the usual Swansea style of play which has been very good or just tries to get results by any means.

Both managers seem happy enough (more so than the fans!) which maybe says something about their mentality?

Bob the slob likes this.
  17. Scullion

Nice touch.

18. Scullion

From the start we passed the ball out from the back in marked contrast to some previous games. Too much of it was going on in our half and backwards and tended to loose the ball going forward. Hopefully work in progress and a positive sign. Ref a bit lenient esp where shirt pulling and holding on concerned, it would be so easy to stamp this out as it really spoils the game, even the linos seem blind to it. Not sure about pens.

19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is said later in thread :emoticon-0111-blush but... Another Source Dad 'fact':
    Apparently the first consecutive away clean sheet for 30 years! Is that right???

20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

You may have to define consecutive - do you (or dad) mean two away matches one after the other, or two away matches with home matches in between? For example, in 2010 we played a 0-0 draw at Hull and our next away match was a 2-0 win at Bristol, but we had two home matches in between...

Edit - No matter, in 2013, we played Birmingham away on a Saturday & won 4-0, then Ipswich away on the Tuesday and won 2-0.

Markthehorn likes this.