1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea v Southampton 31/01/2017 KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintrichie123, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

That applies to every club in the league...

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I agree.

Though I do think another 2 or 3 games will give us more of an idea, see how other teams do after the transfer window.

5 losses in 6 is worrying though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Well, I've just quickly read through the thread and my first comment is that I enjoyed the match! The most frustrating thing is that there seems to be so little confidence going forward and really, until Boufal came on I just couldn't see us scoring. A few things:

Tadic started limping early on - he did seem to run it off but I wonder whether he's playing with a slight injury.
    Boufal Wow! Apart from a couple of times when he faffed around a bit too much, he was a joy to watch.
    My MotM, totally opposite to someone's review on here, was Cedric. He ran his little socks off and admittedly I couldn't see his defensive work up the other end but he was always hustling, always there on the right hand side, always delivering...

I'm not too disheartened by this loss - admittedly, for totally selfish reasons because I want Swans to stay up ;) - but boy, we need some goals to come quickly. Over to you Manolo...

4. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Spot on really. We have the makings of an excellent squad. Sadly most of it is on the injury list ATM. Gabbiadini offers hope for the remainder of the season and Puel deserves a fair crack of the whip which he hasn't had. He has had the toughest job since we got promoted and been unfairly slammed for his efforts IMO.

Come the summer if the defence is shored up we will be set for a settled season. Thats up to the Board.

5. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

I was pointing out that our finishing is shocking. If we weren't creating chances I would be more concerned. I was trying to be positive.

6. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I feel we disagree so comprehensively (not just in regards to this discussion) about our philosophies that there's not a great deal of point to getting into a discussion which is pretty wide-arcing. That's not an attack on your viewpoint, just probably the way it is mate! <laugh>

Who'd you class as top centrebacks though?

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

What, like Liverpool weren't? Didn't notice them putting out a weakened team though, I must have missed that.

8. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

We've improved since the turn of the year, but we are still not getting the result we would've liked. I thought yesterday was a pretty even match and we probably deserved a point. It's probably due to a number of weak spots in our squad at the moment. We missing a lot of players through injury, and some of them are key players for us (Virgil and Austin, let's not forget him), and also some in form players like JWP and Jay. Not to forget that we lost our starting CB partnership. I think we're playing very well, given the circumstances. You can't make up for the lack of quality. That thing should've been addressed in the transfer window, and we've failed to do that. So I think the board and Les should take this one.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Archers, not worth it mate..

I admire your approach, though.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Mate, I'm genuinely not that down about last night. I never had the disrespect for Swansea others had before the game, I never expect anything away from home, and having seen the highlights and read a couple of match reports, it doesn't sound like we played badly.

I don't think we're that far off being a good side, and I genuinely do have faith in Puel. Still hopeful of 3 points on Saturday, and still going to WEMBERLEEEEYYY.

Oh ****it, I feel this coming on again....

11. StJabbo

StJabbo Well-Known Member

I do like that and the measured response by most posters to last nights result. Key players returning from injury, our new signings and the continuing development of academy lads give me an optimistic feeling for the rest of the season.

ChilcoSaint and Archers Road like this.
  12. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Lets just smash West Spam that will make us all feel better!

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We are on the way to Wembley and, apart from that, this season is going to be average (as we all know) because we can't string a run together. We don't get much away from home and Swansea were never going to be a pushover. Puel played as strong a team as he could...what was unusual was letting in two....I had hopes once we equalised. I no longer think that a win means we will go on a run, just as I don't believe a loss is the end of the world. We will get enough points to finish midtable.....unless Gabbiadini turns into a monster. I wonder if Manola knows he has the weight of expectation on his shoulders.

14. fran-MLs little camera

And yes, I did watch that goal again. Saints have to win the Cup so we can carry on enjoying it :)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

It's all well and good putting teams under the cosh, but sometimes you need a scalpel.

16. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

The BBC were talking about the one team every season that goes from mid-table and gets dragged into a relegation fight and I personally think it is gonna be us and Bournemouth too. Both teams just keep losing, doesn't matter who they play and us? Well we've have great cup run and that really does paper over some huge cracks - remember Wigan and to a lesser extent Villa? Both teams reached finals, the similarity is a bit worrying.

Also of course the club, journalists, people close to the club and regular supporters say things like 'We're too good to go down' and 'There are worse teams than us' and 'We had a terrible Christmas last season'. Yet here were are now with Swansea, who have had awful season, having won one game less than us, and Palace who are absolutely dire having won five games, two less than us.

We have won once and lost five out of our last six league games - that is relegation form no matter what way you colour it. I think a current league record of 3-1-6 cannot be put down to bad luck - considering who we have lost to - we are a poor team.

17. fran-MLs little camera

Never does to be too complacent, but I think we will get the points we need and there are quite a few poorer clubs than us. Don't forget Leicester in that equation....looking very poor at the moment. I'm not expecting a miraculous finish....unless Manolo turns out to be the second coming (of Lambert)....but we will get that odd win to keep us bouncing around mid-table.

18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Well a **** team just beat you 2-1 ,tosser

19. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Read the thread and you'll see I said you played well. I was just disappointed. Appreciate the name calling though, really mature of you.

20. redandwight

redandwight Active Member

Next 2 games we really need a win from one of them. We are eating into the winnable games and its easy to slip into the bottom six as other sides at the bottom always seem to pick up towards the end. Me being a pessimist see a tough 3 months looming.