1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

We've played three of the expected top six at home and I have to ask did anyone realistically expect mus to get more than the one point against them. I also didn't expect us to get anything out of the games against Leicester and Southampton, The one real black mark was the defeat to Hull. The games after the international break are the ones we must and should start picking up points from. Llorente seems a more complete player and better at leading the line than Borja and should start up front. I think Borja would be more effective playing off him. I have been critical of Cork but thought he had a good game today We have a problem that Routledge has lost a yard of pace and Leon's reflexes are not as good as they used to be. The main positives are VDH who generally looks comfortable and Amat who has stepped up so well that I don't think we are missing Ash that much. To play the pressing game that we played against Liverpool, who are masters at it, as we did in the first half requires a level of fitness that is beyond us at present. We need to return using the old adage, of passing and making the ball do the work.

DragonPhilljack and PGFWhite like this.
  2. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Grossly unfair. He makes things happen whenever he comes on and today was the first time that hasn't happened since he came to the Club - well perhaps only in a limited way. Why? Klopp did his homework and Barrow was doubled up or even tripled up on. He's not Messi!

His tracking back has improved and he rarely goes through a game without creating for someone else. I'd be happy to have a pop if it was justified but I don't think it is at all. Our tempo improves and our creating ratio goes up almost every time the guy comes on.

3. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I did expect us to pick up points at home, maybe sneaking a win from either Chelsea, City or Liverpool as we have don in previous seasons. So why all of a sudden should we play teams and not expect to win, we might as well as not play them keep the players fit and save them for other games. Haven't we in the past beaten all the top teams at home, so what is different now or are we just looking for excuses for Guidolin.

4. Nosugarman1

Because over focusing on what we expect from our team and we all want them to win whoever we play, doesn't give any credit to the teams we are playing. Points against top six teams are a bonus, our bread and butter where we must expect and demand points, is against the rest and we've only played one of them at home yet. .Although not successfully I might add even though we outplayed them for most of the game and I think we have improved since then.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  5. trundles left foot

Yes they are a bonus and a bonus we have managed at home every season since we have been in the PL. Now all of a sudden we shouldn't expect to get anything.

6. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Maybe our expectations have been raised because in the past we've had better squads, and in particular strikers who know where the goal is? Certainly in the last few seasons. I still maintain that although we have some good players I think that as a whole this squad isn't that great.

I hope that when this run of difficult games eases up a little they go on to prove me wrong.

7. Nosugarman1

Expect is the wrong word hope is probably the better one.

8. trundles left foot

No I expect us to pick up results as we have done every season since we have been in the PL.

9. Nosugarman1

When we play the top six teams I expect them to win but hope we do. After all if we expected to win these games then we would expect to win the title. I am delighted when we occasionally beat them but not overly disappointed when we lose, unlike when we lose to teams like Hull when I am really disappointed. My emotions depend upon the standard of team we play. I have already forgotten about yesterday's game and am now looking forward to the next one.

10. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Anyone watch Utd v Stoke? Joe was top class again. One of the best players on the pitch, but we wanted Ki and Fer instead.

Bony was very poor though.

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I thought Baston played well yesterday. Looks like someone that will score goals in the box but also not terribly slow so can make runs behind the defence. Decent in the air it seems as well.

Just seems you guys ran out of steam 2nd half and having both midfielders on bookings helped as they couldn't press as much and risk misstiming anlther tackle. Play like the first half for rest of season and you'll have good year, just remains to be seen if it was because playing a big team at home.

oh, and can someone come take
    monty from our board, he's got a bit dull now <laugh>

12. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Seems to have taken his euro form
    Into start of league. Was bit gutted when we sold him as he always did a decent job for us but wouldn't have been first team every week so can understand wanting to leave.

He always seem to suffer injuries though

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  13. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

He's still having fun I see. Doing a much better job than Astro tried on here anyway <laugh>

14. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

See that Arsenal have beaten Burnley with virtually the last kick (handball :bandit:) of the match.

Could be a "good" result for us in the greater scheme of things. <cheers>