1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v. Watford

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Oct 16, 2016.

1. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I totally agree Stereo I cant see how it cant be obstruction!

2. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Much improved today but gutted with the result, we must build upon this game and start wining some games fast. Can't fault that 2nd half performance every player done their job.

3. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Well done Bob on the selection for today but we must put away those chances

4. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

9/10 times Siggy would have scored with that effort, unfortunately we didn't have Lady Luck on our side today. Got to praise Bob for the lineup and substations. Llorente looked good when he came on and think he should have started today, maybe it was due to his injury.

Ki redeemed himself in the 2md half and was really impressed with Mawson & VDH, they looked in control all game and first time this season wasn't worried whenever The opposition came into our final 3rd.

Disappointing result but encouraging based on previous games.

5. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Well we didn't win , I guess we might as well throw in the towel .
    Again , something to build on and I expect better to come next month when we crawl even further from " Must Wins ". Well done to the players and manager

6. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

We need points and lots of them, not something to build on Roof.

7. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Mawson/VDH partnership seems the way forward then?

8. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

How was Baston today?

9. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Out of interest, did we hold a minute silence for the Aberfan disaster today?

Taffvalerowdy and swan_and_only like this.
  10. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Yes and very well observed

11. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Bastion did alright, few chances but struggled to link up with the others. Patience is needed with this guy.

12. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

<cheers>

13. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Just got back and for what it is worth, I thought we were awful first half and I had hope they would have given the crowd something to shout about, but we were flat and slow in possession and created 4/5 of **** all. At the back nice and strong and in all fairness both Watford strikers were a hand full physically. We were so slow getting the ball wide by the time it got there barrow was closed down. Ki was awful. So to be honest there some hard work but not much in the way of football.

The second half we were much different and have to say we looked much fitter as the game wore one. We actually moved it a bit quicker and looked more dangerous. The back 4 continued to hold their own with a few scares along the way and we now need to stick with this and give them time to mould in to a unit. Ki came into the game more and looked a better player. We got the ball wide earlier and got some dangerous balls in to the box, but there was no real urgency to try and get on things. With the introduction of LLorente we looked a different side and the guy is class at holding the ball up and bringing players in to the game and at this time Baston probably had his best spell and playing the 2 may work at home. So all in all not a bad performance but we have to take our chances when they come along as we are not having that many at the moment.

So some encouraging signs and something to work on but 2 points dropped for me but not a bad performance.

I hope we get Monterro fit soon with 2 pacey wingers today we would have won that game.

14. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Just got in too and totally agree ^^^. We are definitely missing Montero.

Downside - we still do the hard stuff well and the easy stuff like quality of touch and pass really, really badly. As TLF says above, a very lacklustre display first half. Only one point, and that's disappointing.

Upside - Much improved in the second and on another day we could have nicked it. 4-4-2 left us open but Llorente/Baston looked a decent pairing. Mawson and VDHoorn looked comfortable for the most part even when Watford broke. Mawson looks a real find. Anyone who thinks Taylor should start needs his head seeing to. Kingsley was very good I thought.

Yes, something to build on, but we're not creating enough chances and when we do the quality doesn't seem to be there right now.

15. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I'm kind of have a 50-50 feeling about today, disappointed we didn't win but happy we didn't lose, disappointed we didn't score but very very happy we didn't concede.

I'm very happy with Bradleys ballsy selection and even happier with our new defence which I reckon pushes me more into the happy camp than that horrible, damp, dark one I'd have been in if we lost today.

There was a collective intelligence and togetherness in our back four today which was the bedrock the rest of the team to played on. They won us our first clean sheet so Bradley must keep them together to let them learn and grow as a unit.

Midfield, Ki was a different player to the one we've seen so far this season and played very well. I think Bradley needs to concentrate on improving both Ki and Corks games because at some point, imo, they will have to play alongside each other as starters. I am worried that Leon will get himself suspended, injured or may even lose form so these two must up their game. Ki started today, good on him.

Leon, played well but again, did get shoved off the ball on occasion and again took one for the team, hence my desire that Ki and Cork improve to his level of consistency of performance.

Routledge, an enigma to me, frustrating up top, too often off target in pass and shot, loses or gives the ball away, has moments of brilliance then pops up in defence to make a goal saving interception or tackle. I just cant work him out.

Barrow, loved him today but needs to get more confident because I can see him waltzing passed defenders and smashing the ball in the back of the net and I'm not sure he can see that yet. What he is showing us though is just how much we need to get Montero fit to play.

Siggy, far more visible now back in his favoured position and was unlucky not to score.

Up top, I liked Loriente but was a bit cool on Baston who I thought looked more of a threat when the big man came on. On current form out of the two Loriente would be my first choice but I did like seeing him and Baston together.

Turning things around isn't easy because centrifugal forces work against you. Its hard but a continuation of improvement, a few more decent performances and a few more points over the next few games should see us turned around and pointing in the right direction.

16. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of that apart from one point. I'd have started Fer today, though he's hopeless at tracking back so that ay have been the thinking. Ki (and I've been a big fan) is still way to easily muscled off the ball, and was numerous times, although he, like the team, improved second half.

Stumpy likes this.
  17. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I'm just happy Taylor wasn't there to throw the game.......................<laugh>

18. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Me too, huge sigh of relief when I saw the team sheet. :)

19. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

?? Does Bob think the floodlighting is inadequate? :emoticon-0105-wink:

I suppose we've brought the losing streak to an end. Stoke away next, and they're beginning to hit some form.

20. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Just got back in.

Have to agree with most of what TLF & Kiff have written.

Pluses for me were Mawson (looked really comfortable for someone in his first PL game) and Barrow - particularly second half.

Llorente looked class when he came on - against a side like Watford, he would gave been a better striker to start with.

What we really are lacking is a second speedy winger - Routs has lost that yard of pace. If only Monty had been fit.

Whilst the second half was better - I detected some lack of confidence: if only we'd managed to sneak a late goal today...

Stoke away next then United at home - we could be staring at 5pts from 11 matches.....

On another issue, it was interesting to see that Huw walked to his seat with a security guard nearby.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    ValleyGraduate12 likes this.