1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v. Southampton

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

After sleeping on last night.......great win but FFS not nice to watch.

Kifflom! and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  2. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Disagree i have looked at it a number of times and he should have saved that....Its not as if he has not made countless errors this season...We have burned him out playing him continuously and he needs a break.....He w as not this poor in his first season that's evident....

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

If I you don't mind Dai I'd like to borrow one of you favourite sayings "that's utter bollox"

Do you think Fabianski let the goal in?. Did you miss the facts that Naughton went missing leaving acres of space behind him which their player exploited and crossed unchallenged for the goal, or that Routlede didn't cover Naughtons absence, or that Fernandez was so slow getting back into the box that he was out of position and unable to cut out the cross which ran across him before it reached Long. You could do all that, it would be harsh, but there is a case to argue for each but to blame Fabianski?

In the scheme of things Goalkeepers are only as good as their defence allows them to be and if their defence allows them to be used as target practice then they're going to concede quite a few goals. Even so, I can only remember one mistake he's made which led to a goal when he parried a shot into an attackers path. I can't think of another goal which can be directly attributed to a mistake from him so I think your assessment is a little unfair

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

This. ^^^^^

I spotted what Dai said about Fabianski being to blame and let it slide - because the guy is ****ing hard work.

Fabianski has been very good this season and we'd be in a bigger mess without him that's for sure. He's saved loads of point blank attempts and is at the top of his game right now imo. Much, much better than Vorm ever was. Does he make mistakes? Yes. Just like every other keeper out there. A huge hole in the defence (again) caused that goal, not Fabianski. If you have even the tiniest knowledge of football you can see that. Jeesh! What a plonker. <doh>

5. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Not enough credit being given to the two Southampton players for their goal. The run form Long between our defenders was great and something we don't really do.
    I read somewhere that modern coaches like to defend in the box. I believe that crosses should be stopped at source and not allowed in the box because once the ball comes in anything, deflection, penalty etcl, can happen. As for the comment about Fabianski like most on here I give up.

6. NorfolkSwan

NorfolkSwan Well-Known Member

This is something that's always bothered me about Taylor and Naughton (and Rangel to a lesser degree) they seem to retreat to the 18 yard line and give the crosser ages to line up a cross.

I assume it's so we have an extra body in the area, but as you say why not cut it out before it gets to that stage?! Olssen seems to be closing down the crosser more pro-actively and I hope we don't drill that out of him, as it's much harder to get a decent cross in when you're put under pressure.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  7. swanseaandproud

So Fab has been Fantastic this season........<laugh> do me a favour. .you blind or what......UTTER BOLLOX <ok>

Stumpy likes this.
  8. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Dai we are all disagreeing with you.

9. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

I'm sure he does it just so he can go against 'the norm'. Despite how ridiculous the accusations and theories may be.

Was my first game down the Liberty last night in some years and if I took anything away from it at all, its that Llorente is an absolute beast! The guy bossed the Saints defence, brought almost everything down under massive pressure and ran his bollocks off. He had 3 men marking him towards the end of the game. Dread to think where we would be without him this season. For me, easily MOM yesterday.

10. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Fab has not been as good this season as last, but there are reasons behind that and the major one is the way the back 4 have defended. Yes, he has been at fault for a few goals this season, but no more than any other goalkeeper in the PL. Was he at fault for last nights goal, 100% not and that has come from not only 99.99% of people who saw the goal. The ball was given away cheaply, they got in behind us to easily and then no one tracked Shane Longs run and he scored from 4 yards, Silly Fabianski for not being able to save it. So as for Bollox I am afraid there are to many between someone's ears.

As for the game I thought we played ok, was nice to see we were difficult to beat, but if Southampton had a good striker we would have got probably nothing from that game. There was definitely improvement from BB time, but I still think there is a long way to go, we had a couple of tidy spells during the game, but yet again I didn't think we created enough from open play, which is still a worry. I thought the 2 CBs played really well and Mawson didn't half put his body on the line and showed real passion as did Fernandez, but Mawson terrifies me when he is in possession. he gave the ball away in our half at least 4 or 5 times and it came very close to costing us. I suppose that will come in time. Olsson had a tidy game but again he isn't the best defender, but great going forward as for Naughton maybe it is time to give Rangel a game as he was very poor last night.

As for the midfield, I thought they worked tirelessly and yes roof even Fer. But there is still that little bit of creativity missing to create something. Carroll had a tidy game, neat and safe on the ball, but got out muscled quite a bit, but it is only his second game and he will improve. As for Llorente the guy is class and it is clear to see why Chelsea wanted him, I am just staggered no one else did in the summer.

Before people jump on me I am not being negative, but someone had to bring a bit of sanity back to proceedings. There is still a long way to go and there have been improvements, but on times last night Southampton battered us and we went deeper and deeper and started panicking. But, if we can continue to improve a little bit every game then there is a chance we can get out of this mess. One thing I cant fault is the effort all who played put in and they worked hard from start to finish.

So a great result and an improved performance, but still a long way to go and I hope we get there.

11. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I also think that the Saints movement for the goal was class. <ok>

12. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

swanseaandproud likes this.
  13. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I was one of his biggest critics when we signed him and thought what were we doing. Last year he was tremendous, but hasn't been so good this year, some his fault and a lot is the back 4 fault and managers changing them every week. Look at Spurs, Chelsea and other sides to don't concede a lot their back 4 very rarely changes apart from injury.

Last night I thought he was fantastic on crossed balls and was glad he was there, towards the end Saints, were putting lots of balls in the box and he was superb.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

We could have been 3 up by half time , taking into account the ref who's game last night was his first since being dropped for inept officiating ( I can't believe that <whistle>) who could and should have awarded a penalty for at least 1 of the clear handballs he was staring at . Fab had little to do and what he did was as competent as any other goal keeper at this level he commanded his area , made a good save and took a lot of high balls comfortably , their goal was not his fault it was a ball across between the defence and defenders at pace if it was from one of ours everyone would be drooling at rightly so. Enjoy the moment, we haven't had many and yet we're still criticising a player for some perceived wrong doing.

15. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Well said Matt..

16. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I agree - game should have been over by half time.

17. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

How could you tell from the radio?

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  18. swanseaandproud

And this makes you all right...,,,,,,,

19. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

20. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Yes. It also confirms you persistently talk UTTER BOLLOX :emoticon-0148-yes: