1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v. Southampton

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2017-1-23_22-8-16.png Swansea City v. Southampton upload_2017-1-23_22-8-16.png

Barclays Premier League
    Date - 31 January 2017
    Venue - Liberty Stadium
    Kick Off - 19.45

Following their completely unexpected away victory at title chasing Liverpool - Swansea's first ever League win at Anfield - Paul Clement's team welcome Southampton to the Liberty Stadium for a fixture that will be Southampton 4th game in the last 10 days.

By contrast, this will be Swansea's 2nd game in 11 days, so the Jack Army will be hoping that the Swans' players will be fresher and will be able to back up the victory over Liverpool and claim another much needed 3 points, and hopefully pull further away from the relegation zone.

Swansea and Southampton have played each other on 69 occasions, with the Swans winning 20, Southampton winning 34 with 15 draws.

Since Southampton's return to the Premier League in 2012, the Swans have not beaten them in the League at the Liberty Stadium.

In the corresponding fixture last season, Southampton ran out 1-0 victors thanks to a second-half winner from Shane Long.

Looking ahead to Tuesday night, I think that the Swans will build upon the win at Anfield by beating Southampton 2-0

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Southampton have 4 games in 10 days and will be knackered. If we buy a CB I'll say 3-0. If not then a 3-1 win for us and we start moving away from the relegation zone.

3. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I can Saints scoring but we will get a couple 2-1 Swans

4. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Between the confidence built from last game and me staying totally away from the result till a few hours after ... 2-0 Swans

swantastic and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  5. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

If we are to continue with upward momentum, then this has to be a home banker, time surely to get the Liberty back to a fortress, I'll go with a 2-1 win for us, and hopefully Carol having another great game, though no doubt Saints will have him heavily marked after the Liverpool Display.............<ok>

6. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Yep 2-1 win for us but nagging voice saying don't get to cocky coz it's the teams within reach of us that we need to win against and usually cock up against !
    Fk it 5-0 win to us will go a long way towards repairing bobs damage here !

7. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I am still very worried about this game, Southampton are an excellent side. I thought we would gain confidence from our win against Sunderland and Palace, but it was the same old ****e in the following games. I am hoping the PC element will kick in even more now and their confidence is growing and we can get something out of this. I still believe scoring goals will be an issue if Southampton sit and make us break them down. Going for a 1-1

seabreeze and DragonPhilljack like this.
  8. Taffvalerowdy

Good point TLF - especially as we've never scored at home against Southampton in the PL...

trundles left foot likes this.
  9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Whereas some think that they'll be knackered after 4 games in 11 days, I just think they'll be tuned in. I don't buy the tiredness excuses.
    I see they have 7 days break in 11

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    trundles left foot likes this.
  10. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Let's hope van Dick is injured for this one as that will give Llorente a better chance.

11. trundles left foot

Well there will be no Fonte and if the dutch man is injured as well, could weaken them significantly.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  12. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

This game is a home match and a must win game and with the saints not having their usual good season with just a few points above us then if we lose then as far as im concerned we will be back to square one and no further forward. The shock win against the worst Liverpool performance had lady luck on our side for once and we deserved the win for our best performance of the season imo as we never gave up even though we had little time in possession. We must not lose another Home game especially from teams around us as we have lost far too many already and cant afford to lose any more if we are to avoid the bottom 3....We have beaten a top side many times over the seasons and went on to lose the next game that we were needled on to win, We need to keep the same side against the saints as consistence is the key to a well drilled side.......I'm hoping and praying for a win as it will be disastrous if we lose another home game at this stage of the season...coys...

13. Taffvalerowdy

Don't tell Fat Sam that - it's one of his standard excuses.... <laugh>

swanseaandproud likes this.
  14. seabreeze

..........................................................................................Fab

.... Naughton .....................................Fernandez ...........................................Mawson .......................Olsson .

...........................................................Cork ...................................................Carroll

........................Fer .....................................................................................................................Narsingh

.........................................................................................Siggy

...............................................................................................Llorente
    Revised lineup

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    swans-m and swanseaandproud like this.
  15. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Hard not to get carried away after last weekend isn't it, but we have just cause I think. Carroll, Llorente and the new manager have all made a big difference it seems and for that reason I'm going for a home win. 3-1. Llorente to get on the scoresheet again.

Stumpy and swanseaandproud like this.
  16. trundles left foot

I hope you are right, but we have had a couple of false dawns already this season, but maybe just maybe, PC is starting to work his magic, I hope so anyway.

17. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

This game is really important as we need to put a run together and build on the Liverpool game anything less than a win for us would be a disaster. Sorry Roof Olsson must start as must Narsingh. Rangel's role now is to come off the bench if needed.and Fer should be used off the bench.

18. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I think Fer should start myself he worked his socks off an looked dangerous on the ball with some nice passes.

19. seabreeze

I was assuming Narsingh wouldn't be ready but totally forgot Olsson .

20. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I don't think a draw would be a disaster. Southampton have been a bit of a bogey team for us since we've been in the Prem and their performance against Liverpool last night showed the pace and power in their team. I'd agree that it would be nice to put a run together and I see a draw as part of that run.

Three points would be very nice though!

Stumpy, seabreeze, swantastic and 3 others like this.