1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sutton Utd v Leeds Utd / Breakfast debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Glad Im not, thats why the Sutton game doesnt bug me <ok> As you Wallies never attend games, you know what its like not to be a proper supporter anyway

Chippy / Glory likes this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Same here mate, I guess I too live in the past as I still love the FA Cup. People might not remember who was in the FA Cup last year but I still remember the Histon game and the Sutton one now stands alongside it.

Yes we might get promoted and it will be long forgotten, we might not get promoted and we might have had a chance of having a better cup run, better still we 'could' have done both

Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

yep me too. Nostalgic old cnut that I am. Remember how huge cup final day was as a kid. It's a crying shame what's happened to it. Manager's get judged on league performance so they don't give a hoot - but surely there's a balance, and Monk over-stepped it. Still he hasn't got much wrong so not to dwell.

4. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

What was most bewildering about the Sutton game was the selection of Mallik Wilkes three days after his brother was shot dead

The lad doesn't get near the first team usually and probably won't again this season and yet this is the game chosen to include him amongst the subs and throw him on for his debut

Now he may well have said to Monk that playing football is his way of dealing with the loss of his brother but surely Monk made a mistake with this one

Irishshako and ristac like this.
  5. lifecheshirewhite

The temptation is there to want it all,and must admit I wanted a stronger team out against Sutton,but beating Blackburn was of more importance for me and our team don't need any fixture congestion in the run in so happy enough with how its turned out.Lets not forget we lost Jansson for the Barnsley game due to the Cambridge cup game.

Whitejock likes this.
  6. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

:undecided:........thanks........I think....:grin:

7. Irishshako

Fair play Ristac. <ok>

8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I like the sentiment and nostalgia and fully understand it but it's making us sound like a small club looking for a day out against the 'big boys' Arsenal.
    A good cup run is nice but does a good cup run stop prem clubs picking off our talented youngsters and better players (clubs like Bournemouth ffs). Or get players like Charlie Taylor to sign new contracts? No, only promotion does that, so painful as it was I'll support monk in making the call as we have our best chance of going up in years and our squad isn't the biggest.
    Imagine that non league clogger that went through grimes had done that to Chris Wood or a Bridcutt and they'd picked up an injury, monk would probably be criticised for playing them.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  9. Irishshako

It's nothing to do with a day out against the so called big boys(we are a big club in the wrong League). It's about respect towards your supporters who show up week in week out, the ones who'll be here a lot longer than Monk. As for players picking up injuries, they have as much chance getting injured in training. The same supporters who slag off the cup would be the same ones moaning if they couldn't get a ticket for the Final..<ok>

ristac, Whitejock and Leedsoflondon like this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing to do with not playing Wood or Bridcutt it was to do with not picking the likes of Hernandez and still leaving him on the bench yesterday and playing young kids that were nowhere near ready. Plus what Shacko says above

Irishshako likes this.

11. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

But no disrespect to Sutton however I feel like any players that we pick should be capable of beating them. It wasn't that unbalanced a side. Yes Monk could've put out a better team but the players picked should have performed better, no doubt in my mind. If Marcus Antonsson; a 3m player can't perform, if Liam Cooper; the club captain can't perform, if Hadi Sacko, a player with a 50m release clause can't perform, if Doukara, Phillips, Coyle, Silvestri; all players that probably feel they can impact the first team can't perform all against non-league opposition then why are they even at the club in the first place. Thats not even including the youngsters who played, the ones that still need to prove they can even handle playing for the first team and have the real motivation to do well.

Yes, Monk got team wrong. No one is arguing that but he has been doing well all season and its one mistake, I'll grant him that. The ones that let the fans down were the players on the pitch imo. as much as Monk wants to deflect blame to himself.