1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Suso or Wilshere?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Ze, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Who do you reckon will be a bigger star and/or better player in the next 4-5 years?

Personally I think Wilshere is slightly overrated due to the fact he's the first Englishman to jump onto the scene in the last 10 years who has any sort of natural skill. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent enough player - but I don't see him being in the same category as Gerrard, or even Lampard (for Chelsea at least).

Suso is a rare young talent, who escaped from the clutches of other European giants to play for Liverpool. The type of player that we need - a non scouser who is passionate about the club and has skill. I've seen him play a few times and every single time I have been very impressed. Obviously he hasn't been proven in the prem to the same extent as Wilshere, but most of us here know his potential and I believe his potential is greater than that of Jack's.

What do you think?

2. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I haven't put Sterling in for comparison mainly because he's a winger, and it's hard to compare wingers to midfielders as such because the wings are much more reliant on pace.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Wilshere is ahead and will improve but that is mainly due to age, if Suso can get in the team and progress then he may be a star but really hard to compare.

4. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

"Can get in the team" Is the biggest thing here, he really should be given a run in, he's 17 and already watching him reminds me of messi. Surely he can't be any worse than Maxi on the pitch?

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Agreed, Maxi is the only player that has failed to improve since Kenny took over. Pacheco could also play instead of Maxi.

6. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

Wilshire will in my opinion. Arsenal have a track record of getting the best from their youngsters while liverpool don't. I hope i'm proven wrong

7. _

_ Member

Bit of a strange comparison if you ask me. Wilshere had 6months first team football with Bolton and has started tonight against Barcelona, so i think it's being optimistic to compare Suso. Maybe Shelvey is a better comaprison? I agree English players are often overrated but i think he has a very nice style to his game and especially tries to bring the one-two into matches which is what Barca use to such great effect to slowly build up the pitch. We need to place the emphasis on training footballers above athletes in this country.

As for Suso, i like everyone else is very excited about this kid. If he could be the type of player that Fabregas/Alonso/Arteta has been for his club that'd be amazing.

I think Sterling will get more chances than Suso at this moment because of where he plays. It is a lot easier to accomodate a young winger than a youngster who plays in the middle without sacrificing results. Also because of his pace he always carries a certain threat. No matter how poor his performance or touch or strength he will always be there for a pass in behind. Pace is something you have or don't, so it's not like John Terry's experience could stop Sterling outpacing him for a throughball. However Suso's ability on the ball, awareness, and movement could be matched by say Fabregas who could use that to stop him getting in the game... if that makes sense to anyone?!

8. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I mean in terms of potential because both players have been touted by both sets of fans to be future stars, I was just wondering who everyone thought has more potential. I personally think Suso is the type of players who looks for the player first, then gets himself into a position to get the ball to the player. Wilshere looks like he relies very much on his teammates moving up with him.

9. _

_ Member

i understand that but i don't really know how to quantify 'potential'. Would you say that Suso's potential is greater than to be playing against Barcelona in the CL by the time he's Wilshere's age? Also Wilshere probably hasn't fulfilled his potential, so the safe bet (bearing in mind how often these bright prospects fall by the wayside) is that Wilshere is likely to end up the better player, and therefore has more potential. Don't get me wrong i'm not having a go, and am very excited about Suso. I guess i'd say therefore Wilshere is a better bet, but that i think there are better players to compare so that we can recognise what is good about Suso.

10. Batmanu Eboue

Batmanu Eboue Member

<laugh> Oh do you now? <laugh>

11. Kennys_Heroes

Kennys_Heroes Member

Chill, BE&RVP.

That's 1 leg.

See you in 2 weeks, maybe. Good luck!

12. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

Wilshire was probably our best player in a win over Barcelona, he has cemented his place in the first team of a title chasing side and made his first start for his country last week. And you are seriously comparing him to suso? What the ****.

13. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

14. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Yes I am. In case you hadn't noticed 1 game doesn't suddenly make a player great.

Also if you could be bothered to read the article I stated I thought Wilshere was a good player, but not the same "type" of player as Gerrard or Lampard.

If you had seen Suso in action before you probably wouldn't be laughing, because whilst he's not the finished article by a long shot he has been touted as the best prospect in football by the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid etc..

15. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

I admire wilshire's talents but i also think he is yet again another over hyped, over rated englishman. if he was french he would be a 'good' player but because he is english the media hype him as 'the future' of the national team. i don't want to take anything away from the lad he is doing great for his age. Suso on the other hand is a completely different player so tbh it's a bit of a stupid comparison but for the arsenal fan righting suso off probably without even watching him is plain arrogance, suso has exceptional ability and im sure will do well at lfc

16. robin_van_ fiberglass

Maybe its you who didn't read my post, I pointed out that he has been performing consistently enough all season to get in to our first team so its not just 1 good game he has had.

And do you really think people believe Suso is 'the best prospect in football'? How many starts has he made for you? Its not like there is so much high level competition at liverpool that he will be unable to get a game. Or is he like that other supposed wonderkid Pacheco who also never plays for some mysterious reason, because he is talented enough right?

17. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Wilshire is established,thats the only difference,but I reckon Suso will be overall the better player.

18. robin_van_ fiberglass

Well maybe because Wilshire is established in a team full of better players that means he is better than Suso, who has to contend with the mighty Maxi Rodriguez.

19. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

You seem awfully defensive about this, is it because we have a bright future with our academy that could possibly rival your own?

What a lot of non-Liverpool fans probably don't know is that the Barcelona coaches responsible for the likes of messi, iniesta, puyol, Xavi etc... are now at Liverpool and have been since Rafa went. Before they came we had 7 people in our reserves/academy who played internationally - Since they've come we have 27 people playing in the 21s and under internationally.

So, carry on being defensive - we're entitled to your opinions.

20. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I never implied they were the same type of player nor do I want them compared skill for skill, I just mean who do you think has more potential to do well?

After all, most football fans nowadays could say... Xabi Alonso is better than Wilshere. Do they play the same way? No. But they can be compared in skill and what they bring to their respective teams.