1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Super Cup Final - Real Madrid v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Cooling break?!? wtf? what a bunch of nancy boys.

2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

In theory that should be the hardest game we play all season, so onwards and upwards.

Preferably without Lingard.

glazerfodder likes this.
  3. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Quote from JM just about says it all for me - "I am happy because although we lost a game, lost a cup, we did not lose the season. We are better now than we were last season when we won the Europa League."

4. Tel (they/them)

The only thing I don't get, and I know JM picks his teams based on who we are playing, but if Lingard is genuinely ahead of Martial, then why not just send TM to Inter in exchange for Perisic? As much as I like TM, there's no point keeping him if **** like Lingard is picked ahead of him.

I hope it's not the case and JM is just hoping that Lingard is our next Park Ji Sung i.e. 'The big game Mr Reliable', and now he's realised that he's not and Martial/Rashford will get the nod from now on.

5. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably because Martial would get ripped to shreds by Carvajal and Marcelo on the defensive. As you say, Mourinho picks his teams based on who we are playing, Lingard does a more disciplined job than Martial and is more reliable so was obviously going to get the nod for a game like this. Even if he had a poor game, it doesn't alter the rationale for using him, any more than it does for Herrera.

Martial needs to improve a lot this season, or I reckon he'll be on his way permanently next summer. Possibly with Lingard too if we can find a genuine hardworking winger to replace him. I reckon if Inter had asked for Lingard in exchange for Perisic they might have got him.

cytrax likes this.
  6. Tel (they/them)

The difference is negligible, Lingard is **** defensively too, I'd have understood if it was Ashley Young. There's no chance Mourinho set up thinking we'd contain Real Madrid we had to score goals and Jesse Lingard is nowhere near the attacking threat that Martial is. Lingard offers nothing going back that Rashford couldn't have done and I'd have understood Rashford ahead of Martial as well. TM ripped Carvajal a new fart pipe in pre-season, why not take advantage of that psychological edge instead of giving the edge back to Carvajal?

Mourinho has got a habit of making a stupid inclusion, there's no denying the game improved for us when Lingard was hooked for Rashford. He did the exact same thing against Stoke at home last season and Martial scored within seconds of replacing Lingard... were we containing Stoke?

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd have understood Rashford ahead of Lingard, but not Martial. You talk about Martial's one decent run against Carvajal in the pre season match, but he was anonymous the rest of that game, whilst Lingard was arguably MOTM.

Martial hasn't shown anything in pre season to make me think he deserves a start at the moment, and whilst Lingard hasn't shown much he has the edge at the moment, so not surprised he was picked.

8. glazerfodder

Personally I think Martial has had long enough now to show whether he wants to develop the talent he obviously has. The odd starring cameo will do nothing for him - he risks becoming the new Nani unless he can find it within himself to keep turning in consistent performances. My preference would be to let him go in exchange for Perisic with a buy-back clause in the contract. Perisic has been delivering strong performances for several seasons - he doesn't need to develop but simply adapt to the PL. Of all our options he seems the strongest.

9. Tel (they/them)

How do you show consistency when you're not getting starts? What LVG has done to this club is ridiculous, why are fans concerning themselves with the defensive responsibilities of a striker? Fergie never asked Ronnie to track back and defend. It's just a tactic, we are terrified of losing the ball so let's play 11 defenders.

Martial needs freedom, he'll get that at his next club and he'll probably come back here with them and slap us silly.

luvgonzo and Stan like this.
  10. glazerfodder

If he was showing it in training, day after day, I'm sure he would get the start. Away from match-day JM has to make his selection on the basis of what he sees the players give day in, day out at Carrington - if Martial was giving it his all and was impressing over Lingard he would get the nod.

11. Tel (they/them)

I refuse to believe that Mkhitaryan is working harder in training than Mata. It's Jose's system, Martial's face doesn't fit. One of the biggest talents we've seen here in years and he's benched because he can't defend and his confidence is shot to bits because he can't do the job of a left back.

There's nothing worse than a talent who doesn't apply himself but I don't get that with TM, he doesn't strike me as somebody who doesn't try, he strikes me as somebody who is far superior to Lingard in every way going forward. I don't want a team of Scott Parkers.

12. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye cos Ronnie got 20-30 goals a season and was a goal threat in every match. Martial hasn't got the consistency for the team to carry him in a free role. He reminds me more of Ronnie back in 2005, and back then SAF was rightly demanding more and more of him and he wasn't starting every game. Martial needs to justify that level of freedom if he isn't going to be just another Joe Cole.

I'm not saying he needs to learn to defend, but until he can deliver on his promise in 90% of games he isn't going to be picked ahead of more consistent players. Same reason SAF consistently preferred Park ahead of Nani from 07-11.

glazerfodder likes this.
  13. Tel (they/them)

He isn't being left out in favour of more consistent players, Lingard's only consistency is that he's consistently below average. He's piss poor by top 4 standards and him being born near Manchester won't change that one bit. We've let better players leave than Lingard, such as Welbeck, I just don't see what he does that's so deserving of a place over an attacker with a **** ton of potential who offers more of a threat than Lingard ever will.

You want him to deliver on 9/10 games and it's just not gonna happen, none of our players deliver the goods that often, Zlatan never, De Gea is probably as close as we'd get to 90%.

We'll agree to disagree here pal, clearly you believe Lingard is in there on merit which I find ridiculous.

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The odd thing is, if Lingard is supposedly in on a consistency/work rate/defensive abilities how the **** is Mhkitaryan in? He brings absolutely none of those things to the table.
    I would have Rashford and Martial either side of Lukaku ahead of Lingard and Mhki every single day. And Mata would be next in.

Tel (they/them) likes this.