1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Super bowl

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swanseaandproud, Feb 6, 2017.

1. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Rugby Union has changed so much since my playing days and IMO not for the better either but with Health and safety being a big part of today's life you have to listen to the namby pambies that ruined a good sport. Like many we never played football in school it would be either cricket in the summer or rugby in the winter and the nearest thing to a football was an orange medicine ball and i don't recommend trying to kick or worse head the ball....<laugh>

2. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I count myself lucky and was spoilt by being a late teens early twenties during the 70s and didn't miss a home international - great times.
    I like Taff went to a rugby focused school a remember vividly being sent out to crack the ice and clear the pitch of snow before being sent out to play on a rock hard pitch

3. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Same for me.I lived for football.Was unfortunate to go to Gowerton Grammar School where rugby ruled.Not a round ball in sight,oh sorry except for cricket balls.
    Having rugby rammed down my throat put me off it for life.
    No interest at all in the game.
    Union that it.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  4. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Rugby is regarded the national sport of Wales and has always been so with soccer as it was called in my young days a distant second but i was one of many who played rugby in the morning and then have lunch and catch a bus to watch Swansea Town in the afternoon if they were playing at the vetch and if they were away then i would watch Penclawdd which i went on to follow my first cousin who played for Penclawdd/whites and finally Llanelli and Wales.... I went on and played for Penclawdd and represented the Royal Navy 8 times and the combined services twice where i played once and reserve once.......Everything was sport sport sport with me in my younger days and i loved every minute of it....

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I think Atlanta didn't lose the game but were eventually stopped from winning it by a raging, rampaging Pats defence in the second half. As for Atlanta making mistakes, both sides did and as for Atlanta messing up a field goal opportunity to win the game, I don't think so. For that play the Patriots set themselves up to blitz regardless of whether it was a run or passing play. They set themselves up to make a 'none shall pass' stand and when it mattered most the the Pats defence monstered Atlanta back and made the play behind the line of scrimmage. Ryan had no time to throw the ball, if he did it would have been intentional grounding and a 10 yd loss. It was a great play by the Pats defence. Brady still had to march his team 91yds up field, score a touchdown then complete a two point conversion just to draw level. How I saw it anyway.

Pats made loads of mistakes too, Brady threw an interception for a touchdown, his receivers were dropping balls all over the place and he was sacked twice in the 'red zone' in the fourth quarter when the Pats were desperate for a touchdown. So the mistakes, if you can call good defence, an offensive mistake, came from both sides.

Losing the toss for OT possession did for Atlanta imo. Win that and they had a chance, lose it and, as we saw, they had none as Bradys game rose beyond the stratosphere.

The young Atlanta team were eventually worn down by the constant grind of the Pats offence which dominated the clock. When game went into the fourth and the heat was turned up from tepid to white hot Atlanta wilted, Ryan lost his composure while Brady transformed into some kind of a Zen master QB with the ability to throw the ball with timing and accuracy that could only be measured on the Planck scale.

Ryan won three 'quarters' before Brady, the Jedi Master took over and taught him how to use the force <laugh>

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    swanee likes this.
  6. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

Having watched the second half again, Atlanta lost that game because of poor decisions with their defence being knackered. Being 25 points in front half way through the 3rd quarter and squandering that advantage by not taking THAT field goal is going to haunt them for a long time to come. Then two fouls and out of field goal range, poor decision, although I understand why they tried to get the touchdown, a field goal was the obvious choice.

Then we had that Eddelman catch, possibly the greatest catch in the history of the Superbowl. Three Atlanta defenders around him and he still managed to keep his eyes firmly on the ball after it hit the Atlanta defenders ankle, truly amazing. Brady then went to work and those two two pointers after the touchdowns, the writing was on the wall as to who was going to win it. The Atlanta defenders in overtime were worn out on the drive by the Patriots, half a yard slower made the difference and history was in the making.

seabreeze and Stumpy like this.