1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland vs Arsenal: Match Thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Team News:

Arsene Wenger:

Form Guide:

Three Key Match-ups:

Overall Record vs: Sunderland

Played: 142
    Wins: 55
    Draws: 39
    Losses: 48
    For: 224
    Against: 196
    GD: 28

Last 6 Meetings:

Sunderland 0 - 1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Sunderland
    Sunderland 2 - 0 Arsenal (FA Cup)
    Sunderland 1 - 2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2 - 1 Sunderland
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Sunderland

Manager's Views:

(To Be Updated)

My Team:

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Come on you Gooners.

3. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Actually I want to change my team for this game, assuming all those players are fit. Would drop Wilshere and bring in Flamini. I suspect they are not going to give us a easy ride and we need some tough players out there. Loved Flamini performance against Spurs, he has the right idea and looked like a proper leader.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree about Flamini. A lot of people were bemoaning us signing an old player on a free, but I think he'll turn out to be a brilliant signing as you mention, he's got the leadership skills and he's got some of that bite that we've been missing in recent seasons.

He's never picked up a reputation as a dirty player either, which is good, because he is like a little terrier and doesn't hold anything back in his tackling.

As for Sunderland, I think they look awful so far this season. Di Canio is a ****ing timebomb waiting to explode and I think they've brought in so many players that I can't see how he'll know what his best eleven are. My tip for relegation this season.

5. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I think Sunderland will take time to gel as a new team with all the new players they have brought in and i think Di Canio is going for a different style of football and so don't expect this game to be the same physical battle it was last season.

I think we have a team strong enough to get a good result and control this game and i'm looking forward to Ozil making his debut!

I agree Flamini could turn out to be a great signing, it's not like he is a stranger to playing at a top club. It'll be interesting to see if he ends up a first team regular rather than a back-up.

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Do you guys think Ozil will start this game?

Prior to Rosicky picking up an injury i assumed he would be a sub due to not having long with his new teamates after the International break, but if Rosicky is out then i think he will probably start. I assume we will go with a Ramsey+Wilshere midfield, but we could see Flamini+Ramsey with Wilshere in front and Ozil being a sub?

7. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

[video=dailymotion;xxembt]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxembt_sunderland-vs-arsenal-0-1-longer-highlights-9-2-13_sport[/video]

Last time we played Sunderland. All I remember from that game was Sagna's epic performance as a CB.

8. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

I'm uneasy about this particular fixture, I always am. We never convince at the SoL. Not sure why... perhaps this year that will change? Would be lovely. Oh, and I just noticed the ref from that particular game last season was in fact Anthony Taylor. He gave yet another joke of a performance as well.

9. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Thank god he is not the ref for this game.

10. Han Shot First

Han Shot First New Member

I reckon we'll draw this game, if Giroud gets injured, we're severely f*cked.

11. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Thankfully (fingers crossed), Giroud does not seem to pick up many injuries.

12. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Alright Ladies and Gents. First off, good luck for the season, you have to fancy yourselves for a run at the title this season.

Well I can't see anything other than a Arsenal win myself. We're a team playing a new style of football very much in it's infancy. We've plenty of players still needing time to gel, two of which (depending on the fitness of Wes Brown) will be playing together as our cb pairing for the very first time. We've got some very dangerous players though so if it clicks you've got a game on your hands. Just see you being too strong to be honest.

Go and check the stats for the Fulham game mate. We played beautiful football. This squad is very capable and despite you saying we look awful we've shown real glimpses of quality.

I think most of us sunderland fans know our strongest team bar injury concerns and I think Paolo does too. It will look similar to this.

Westwood
    Celustka---Diakite/Brown---Roberge---Colback
    Larsson/Cabral---Ki
    Johnson--------------------------------Giacc
    Fletcher/Borini---Altidore​

As for Paolo exploding? Who knows. One thing's for certain, the dressing room is very much behind him and have subscribed to his ways so any exploding will be on the touchline or the press conference.

We do need gelling time mate. Hopefully not too much.

13. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

A player to watch against Sunderland will be Jozy Altidore. He is in great form. He's the type we usually struggle against, although we seemed to have sorted out of defence (fingers crossed).

14. Arsegun

Arsegun Well-Known Member

I think Di Canio is a terrible manager, so we'll probably win this. Ozil should start if Rosicky is out. Lauding Flamini after 1 hour against Spurs is a bit premature. I'd rather rely on Wilshere for this game if he's fit.

15. jadotbizzgooner

We should win this game at least 3-0 we are a good side. Games like this we should winning. Regardless if Rosicky is injured or not Ozil should be playing heck to tell you the truth for the good of our team even Wilshere should stay on the bench and watch what a real number 10 can do .Ozil the best thing that can happen for Jack and Arsenal he got a long way to go but like all English players our bestis a long way from worlds best.

16. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

But putting a manager down as a terrible manager after eleven games isn't premature? <doh>

17. Sun_Tea_Car_Zoo_La

Altidore is the new Heskey

18. Shameless

Shameless Well hung member

He doesn't trip over himself that much

19. Arsegun

Arsegun Well-Known Member

11 games is enough to judge Di Canio, and it would be enough to judge Flamini's 2nd stint with us too.

20. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Not sure that the average fan is qualified to judge a manager on anything other than results. Di Canio kept Sunderland up, which was priority #1 for them, so he passed the first test. I think he deserves a bit of time before we judge him on whether he can rebuild his team into a top half side (i.e. to beat Newcastle which is probably his next goal :))

Still, jadot is right, if we are title contenders we should be winning this one. Not sure if it matters too much what the score is. It might be a bit early to expect Ozil and Flamini to fire on all cylinders straight away.

Important to go in with the right frame of mind. If we can convince Sunderland we are better than them early in the game, then we will have a better chance of convincing ourselves.