1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v West Ham United Saturday 15th April KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 14, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Apr 16, 2017.
  1. Home win

19.2%
  2. Away win

30.8%
  3. Draw

26.9%
  4. Meh - who cares

23.1%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Saturday 15th April 15:00, Sunderland host West Ham United at the Stadium of Light
    SAFCvWHU.JPG
    Last time out Sunderland lost 3-0 at home to Manchester United and West Ham beat Swansea 1-0.
    Sunderland’s game against West Ham United this weekend will be refereed by Andre Marriner - ‘This is the referee who has sent off more Sunderland players than any other Premier League ref, who has produced the red card seven times in his 20 games involving the Wearsiders since 1997 - and has also made more mistakes and been at the centre of more controversy than any other official.’
    But Marriner was also in charge last time Sunderland won a game, the 4-0 thrashing dished out to Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in February, and that was also the last game in which the Black Cats scored - since when they have gone 11 hours and 15 minutes without a goal. Not only that, Marriner also refereed Sunderland’s win over Leicester City at the Stadium of Light in December, and last season oversaw the crucial win over relegation rivals Norwich City at Carrow Road a year ago which helped the Black Cats reach safety.

David Moyes:
    "I don't think you ever get offered the Manchester United job if you're a bad manager, you only get that position if you've had something to show previously.”
    "Seb is a big loss because he's reliable and we trust him. He puts in a good standard of performance in every game. We'll miss him."
    "Joel Asoro has potential. He's 18 this week and still very young. We introduced him in pre-season and he had an impact."
    "John O'Shea is back at the club and back in training."
    "Bryan Oviedo has a hamstring injury and won't be available. It looks quite bad, probably four-weeks."
    "We have a good chance of winning. We have to try and cause them problems. They had a big result last week, we need one this week."
    "It'll be a team effort to stop Carroll. We need to stop the deliveries he'll thrive on and when they do come in make it difficult."

Slaven Bilic:
    Bilic made no secret of his disappointment with Antonio’s absence as West Ham prepare to face Sunderland on Saturday. “It is a significant injury, he is out for the season,” he said. “It’s a big blow, he is one of our best players.”
    "Nobody expected Sunderland to be safe just because they appointed a big name (like David Moyes). They had big names before."
    "Sadly for them, it's become a common situation and it looks really bad, but the majority of their players have been there before."
    "We know it's going to be extremely hard, but it's a good opportunity for us to get some points and get closer to safety."
    "With Andy, he could play for 15-20 minutes against Swansea, but this Saturday is completely different. It's the same with Diafra."
    Head2Head.GIF
    Lawro's Prediction: 2:1
    Merson's Prediction: 1:0

Referee:
    Andre Marriner
    Assistants: S Beck, S Massey-Ellis
    Fourth official: M Atkinson

Team Lineups:
    Sunderland
    Team.gif
    Subs from
    Mannone, Love, Djilobodji, O'Shea, Pienaar, Gibson, Borini, Khazri
    Injured Kirchhoff (Knee, May), Oviedo (Ham String, May), Watmore (Knee, Oct), McNair (Knee, Aug)
    Suspended Larsson (3 game ban)
    Form LLDLLL
    Leading scorer Defoe 14

West Ham United
    Expected team

Randolph, Byram, Fonte, Collins, Masuaku, Snodgrass, Feghouli, Kouyate, Lanzini, Carroll, Ayew
    Subs
    Adrian, Nordvelt, Fernandes, Sakho
    Injured
    Antonio, Reid, Ogbonna, Obiang
    Suspended Noble
    Form LLLLLW
    Leading scorer Michail Antonio 9

West Ham United are undefeated in their last seven Premier League matches against Sunderland (W4 D3).
    The Hammers can do a first PL double over Sunderland since 2008/09.
    Jermain Defoe has scored six goals in 15 PL matches against his former club, but is yet to score against them in three appearances for Sunderland.
    Only Swansea City (67), Hull City (64) and AFC Bournemouth (59) have conceded more goals than West Ham (57) and Sunderland (56) this season.

Key Men:
    Jermain Defoe

please log in to view this image

If Jermain Defoe fails to score then Sunderland fail to score it’s as simple as that.

Andy Carroll
    please log in to view this image

Sunderland struggle to defend crosses and Antonio was injured last week so Andy Carroll could be the main threat.

Betting:
    Sunderland 21/10
    West Ham United 5/4
    Draw 12/5

My two pence...
    Seven games left and ten points adrift of safety, no goals scored in the last seven games, I can’t see any miracles happening this time around. West Ham are in poor form and we could do with re-discovering where the goals are but I think it’s going to be a boring 0-0 draw.

Ha'way the lads

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

It'll be one change from Donkey Dave. Gibson in for Larsson.

We'll be huff and puff for 25 minutes before giving a needles set piece away for Andy Carroll to head in unchallenged. Theyll control the play, Moyes will wait till its too late to make a difference to bring an attacking sub on.

West ham then go on to score an inevitable second when our heads have dropped whilst Moyes sit in the dug out with his arms crossed.

The first Moyes out chants start stirring around the terraces.

cumbrianmackem and RTB like this.
  3. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

His love child Januzaj is eligible to play - so will be straight back in.
    O'Shea might start at the back and Denayer could play instead of Rodwell - anything but Gibson.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  4. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Apparently today when asked if the players owe the fans a performance he said no.

Can this pathetic thunder **** get anything right???

5. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I fully expect a 0-0. Both teams not interested.

6. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Another great Match Day thread RTB.
    I 've gone with a home win feeling (hopeful & confident ) but when Moyes is factored my positivity Implodes - ....now if he could be sit in the stands (as against Palace ) win win for me. I've got a Match Day experience tour and food. My wife going on a spa day so hope my pamper day leaves me as chilled out as she'll be. I'm not too sure though.
    Beer festival on the night will sort me out <cheers>

RTB likes this.
  7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Antonio is missing for them though, keep Carroll quiet and we could win !, we can win 5 on the trot mind with luck etc. I will go there with hope.

8. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Got a feeling about this game that it'll be similar to the game which got Poyet sacked.

4-0 down at half time against Villa, Benteke dominated our defence and have a feeling Carroll could do similar.

Away win.

9. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Since I posted my preditions for this weekend I've been thinking that we might win our last 7 games, which would mean that we would (almost certainly) be alright . . . . then if we don't win tomorrow we might win the last 6 and probably still be alright.

I really am still hopeful . . . . does anybody know where I can get one of those white jacket thingumyjigs that tie up at the back :huh:

red&white wanderer likes this.
  10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

@monty987 seems like one for him.

I have a vague feeling that we might beat West Ham, I think they're just fragile enough mentally that we won't have lost before a ball is kicked and Defoe is due a few goals.

11. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I'll piss myself if West Ham get relegated mind.

Just think they'll scrape by then spend the summer acting like they're Real Madrid again.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Away win. Nowt else to say.

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Great match thread as always rtb. Your last paragraph is an interesting one. Earlier this week Moyes said we need to stop conceding goals... WE HAVEN'T SCORED IN SEVEN GAMES DAVID... SORT THAT **** OUT!

Sick of this season now. Just want it over and done with. But I'll still be there this afternoon (hopefully as the wife has been ill through the night) and the rest of the home games and all of next season too

Nacho likes this.
  14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

As I said to the swans last week, if you can't beat us, you deserve to go down. Defoe is pretty much nailed on to score.

15. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

To be honest I couldn't give a rats arse anymore. The first time in 50 years supporting the lads that I have completely fallen out of love with the game.

Thank you Ellis Short, David Moyes and 3/4 of the squad for the week in week out depressing performances and press interviews that have ground me down to the point where I just don't care anymore.

16. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

We deserve to go down even if we beat you.

17. Richie

Richie Member

......sorry about the wife,marcus...hope better now...

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I hear you. It started when Sam left, it got significantly worse when we didn't sign M'Vila and we've been plunging further and further into misery ever since.

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Haway and all that...

20. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Khazri starts. Watch him prove Moyes right today and have an absolute stinker.

Carroll to score and West Ham to win is nailed on.