1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Swansea City - Saturday 13th May KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, May 12, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed May 14, 2017.
  1. Home win

51.6%
  2. Away win

32.3%
  3. Draw

3.2%
  4. Meh - is it not over yet

12.9%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Saturday 13th May 15:00, Sunderland host Swansea City at the Stadium of Light
    SUNSWA.gif
    Sunderland face Swansea City on Saturday in their final home game of the 2016-17 Premier League season.
    The game will see Premier League football leave the Stadium of Light following a decade, with the Black Cats already planning for a successful campaign in the Championship following relegation to the second tier.
    But for Swansea City, it would well be the decisive day in their fight for survival.

Sunderland midfielder George Honeyman will miss out because of a back injury suffered in training.
    However, Bryan Oviedo, Darron Gibson and Lee Cattermole have all returned to training.
    Swansea City have no new injury concerns ahead of the crucial contest.
    Wayne Routledge (hernia) and Angel Rangel (foot) have both returned to full training this week and could come into contention.

David Moyes:
    "I hope that we're able to build a team that can get us straight back up."

Paul Clement:
    "The fans cannot score a goal and they cannot make a tackle, but they can hopefully get that little bit extra out of the players when we are feeling tired or we are in a part of the game where we are under some pressure."
    Head2Head.GIF
    Sunderland are winless in their last four Premier League meetings with Swansea City at the Stadium of Light (D3 L1) since winning their first encounter 2-0 in January 2012.
    That victory is Sunderland’s only home win over the Swans since winning eight consecutively in all competitions between 1937 and 1964.
    Gylfi Sigurdsson needs one more goal to become the first Swansea player to reach double figures for both goals (nine) and assists (12) in the same PL season.
    Jermain Defoe has scored five goals in four previous PL appearances v Swansea for Sunderland, including a hat-trick in January 2016. He needs one more goal for his best tally in a PL season since 2009/10.

Lawro's Prediction: 1:1
    Merson's Prediction: 1:3

Referee Andre Marriner
    This season G26, Y93, R2, 3.73 cards per game
    Odds H 3-1 A 5-6 D 11-4

Team Line ups
    please log in to view this image

Sunderland
    Subs from Mannone, Love, Djilobodji, Lescott, Larsson, Cattermole, Rodwell, Pienaar, Gibson, Gooch, Embleton
    Doubtful Cattermole (achilles), Gibson (groin)
    Injured Kirchhoff (knee, Jun), McNair (knee, Aug), Watmore (knee, Sep), Honeyman (back, unknown), Oviedo (hamstring, unknown)
    Suspended None
    Form LLDLLW
    Discipline Y72 R4
    Leading scorer Defoe 15

Swansea City
    Subs from Nordfeldt, Tremmel, Cork, Narsingh, Bastón, Amat, Fer, Kingsley, Van der Hoorn, Fulton, McBurnie, Rangel, Routledge
    Doubtful Rangel (foot), Routledge (hernia)
    Injured Dyer (achilles), Montero (hamstring, both unknown)
    Suspended None
    Form LLLWDW
    Discipline Y55 R0
    Leading scorer Llorente 13

My two pence:
    The last Premier League game for who knows how long...
    I'm hoping that we can string two wins together and try and have a chance to finish above the Boro. So I've gone for a 2-1 home win.
    Ha'way the lads

2. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

A nothing fixture for us except for pride and the possibly of wrecking Swansea's season as well. So why not?

3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I have the feeling Swansea are getting a little carried away with themselves, but are down at the bottom for a good reason ..... they're a poor side.

In fact they've conceded more goals than Sunderland and have the worst defence in the league, Away from home they're poor, recently losing at Watford, West Ham, Bourenemouth and Hull ..... they even managed to lose 3-0 at Boro, the only time Boro have scored that many this season.

Sunderland have looked nervous at home but now have nothing to lose and will want a win for the home support which is way better than they could've hoped for. Swansea are shipping in supporters thinking it will help but we all know that big away support doesn't always help. If they're thinking it will be 'party time' at Sunderland they could be in for a surprise, despite everything that's happened Sunderland have some good players and they won't want to go out with a home defeat.

1-0 Sunderland - Anichebe

clockstander and RTB like this.
  4. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

We have a football match?

I think we'll beat them.

RTB and salad fingers like this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I reckon we'll win too.

RTB likes this.
  6. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Another great Match Day thread RTB - and a final premier home win <cheers> but another injury -what on earth does Moyes do in training or is it a cunning ploy to strengthen the U23's for the Porto game on Wed. :emoticon-0112-wonde ..
    Although Swansea concede we are not adept at scoring ... until today 3-0 :emoticon-0148-yes:

7. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

After we gave your lads a confidence boost last week I'm hoping that they'll continue winning today :emoticon-0107-sweat

8. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Apparently Kone fell on Honeyman during a training session - that's why he's out <doh>

9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

10. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

We've carried a very fragile mindset around with us for years, old couple of months momentum always undone as we revert to form. First time we've got a string of games where we're truely pressure free. I think we'll beat them, and it doesn't matter if we don't. :D

RTB likes this.

11. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

I can assure you it does matter Bri my old mate.

We're all Black Cats for the day down here.:emoticon-0148-yes:

clockstander likes this.
  12. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Seb Larsson replaces George Honeyman.

13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

14. Deleted #

I've seen quite a few of your posters talking about how they hate our ****ty club and hoping we would be relegated. After beating you last week, I'll have a smirk on my face today if Swansea turn us over.

I don't forget things like that and it generally comes back to bite you on the arse...

clockstander and DragonPhilljack like this.
  15. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

1-2 win for the mighty Swans, we will be to good for you, enjoy your games against Brentford next season..................:emoticon-0165-muscl...........<laugh>

PGFWhite likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

Hello fella, hope you're well. I mean a loss has no consequences to Sunderland, we can play without a care in the world and enjoy our football. Pressure I mare as you know from our match.

Hope you stay up fella. English League is no place for Welsh teams imo.

17. Deleted #

That last bit is a good point.

18. Deleted #

I'm looking forward to the Fleetwood and Burton trips <laugh>

Edit: Fleetwood knocked out in the play offs.

Bradford is always good for us though.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  19. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Every club has 'em.

clockstander likes this.
  20. Brian Storm

Funny one Hull, their forum is clad with bell ends but there's decent lads too as it's very busy. Done a lot of music threads over there over the years. Been introduced to so much music(and music is really special for me) so it's built quite a few bridges for me. See you point of view though entirely, for a considerable stint dozens of them wummed this board try to create a rivalry. Their board has left a permanent stain over here for many so get it totally.

Deleted likes this.