1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Leeds United - Saturday 19th August K.O. 17:30

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 18, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Aug 20, 2017.
  1. Home win

56.8%
  2. Away win

29.7%
  3. Draw

13.5%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland welcome Leeds United to the Stadium of Light in the Sky Bet Championship.
    SAFCvLUFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland drew 1-1 away to Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds drew 0-0 at home to Fulham.

Bryan Oviedo and midfielder Jack Rodwell could feature in Simon Grayson's Sunderland side for the first time against Leeds. The pair returned to action with Sunderland's under-23s a week ago, while Josh Maja underwent knee surgery and is out for at least five weeks.
    Liam Cooper is hopeful of returning for Leeds after missing Tuesday's draw with Fulham following a knock in training. Fellow defenders Matthew Pennington and Gaetano Berardi remain sidelined.
    Leeds head coach Thomas Christiansen has possible changes to consider, while Sunderland boss Grayson has so far kept faith with the same starting XI for all three of their Championship games - and collected five points from a possible nine.

Simon Grayson:
    “We want to bring players in,” he said.
    “We missed out on Max Gradel the other day which was unfortunate because the young lad wanted to come three weeks ago.
    “We had a deal agreed with Bournemouth but he started pre-season so well which meant Bournemouth wanted to keep him around. “It just shows you the calibre of player we are looking at. He would’ve been a good player for us but we move onto other targets now."
    “As things stand if any money came in from players going out then maybe there would be an option to go and spend some money.
    “If we are left with the squad we have got on September 1, with one or two additions, then I would be more than satisfied."
    “We have got some good players and got strength in-depth but ultimately, who knows what’s going to happen in the next 10 days or so,”
    “When people like Snodgrass come available you would be foolish to not consider it. Again, that would be a deal that would be dictated by finances. He is a good footballer who I enjoyed working with at Leeds."
    “Would he be a good addition to Sunderland? Of course, he is a good footballer. Can we do it? Who knows but we might ask the question.”

Thomas Christiansen
    "I am very sad about the tragic events yesterday, I send out my condolences to the people in Barcelona"
    "My intention is to keep Chris Wood with us, I believe he can help us achieve our goals"
    "Berardi should be back very soon, Matthew Pennington will be slightly longer"
    "Liam Cooper is okay, he will be in the 19 man squad tomorrow"
    "Our aim is to do our best and try to get the three points"
    "Sunderland coming from the Premier League will be looking to get back there, but it will be decided on the pitch"
    "I am pleased we are unbeaten and have two clean sheets already"

Match facts:
    • Sunderland have won three of their past four matches against Leeds in league competition.
    • Leeds have won seven of their last nine league trips to Sunderland, losing the other two.
    • Bob Stokoe was in charge of Sunderland and Billy Bremner in charge of Leeds the last time these sides played out a draw in the league, doing so in April 1987. In 20 meetings since, Sunderland have won six and Leeds have won 14.
    • Leeds have drawn their past two league games 0-0, they last recorded three goalless draws in a row back in December 1996.
    • The Black Cats have recorded a lower share of possession in the opening three matchdays than any other Championship side (36.4%).
    • Leeds have failed to keep a clean sheet in each of their last 17 away league matches, they last went on a longer run without an away shutout in February 2013 (19 games).
    Form:
    Form.GIF

SAM –
    Home win
    Prutton predicts: 2-2

Referee: ANDY DAVIES
    Assistants: Daniel Leach and Darren Blunden
    Fourth official: Tony Harrington

Team Line ups
    Sunderland

Team.gif
    Subs from Ruiter, Love, O’Shea, Djilobodji, Gibson, Gooch, Rodwell, Asoro, Khazri
    Doubtful Oviedo, Rodwell
    Injured McNair (knee, Sep), Watmore (knee, Sep), Maja (knee, Sep)

Leeds United
    Capture.GIF

Betting Odds:
    H 6/5 A 12/5 D 23/10

My two pence:
    This game is another tough test but we are starting to play some decent attacking football. With about 3000 travelling fans it should make for a good atmosphere too. Let’s hope we are still smiling on Saturday night.
    I am going for a 3-2 home win.

Forca Barcelona <rose>
    Ha’way the Lads

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

If the team are anywhere near as good as this thread we'll coast it <ok>

Even though I've no chance of being there I'm really looking forward to this game.

The spirit is returning, to the club, and I think the pubs will be buzzing like they haven't for ages.

No idea what Leeds are like but they've drawn 2 home games so can't be too frightening.

I predicted a draw at Wednesday and I'm saying 1-0 Sunderland, Vaughan.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

**** all to be scared of there imo.

I have no doubt that Kone can handle Wood who seems their best player.

Fancy us for a win.

RTB likes this.
  4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Sweet thread Fella. Fancy us for this one. I reckon Grayson hoped to get through this run of games on the same team but I expect he make a couple of changes for this one after we ran out of steam against Shef wed.

RTB likes this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think we'll most likely win, we're on a bit of a roll and we're at home. The team is getting nice and settled too.

6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Just read the match thread on the Leeds board <laugh><laugh> Smug the diplomat :emoticon-0102-bigsm

It's about time it did.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  7. Smug in Boots

Word around the media camp fire is that Woods want out of Leeds.

Leeds are trying to act clever by offering a new contract but it's all schoolboy standard bluff imo.

My prediction is that he'll be undergoing a 'late fitness test' tomorrow followed by a mystery groin strain.

8. Smug in Boots

It's true mate .... I've certainly mellowed over the last few years <ok>

9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

According to your new 'friends' on the Leeds board there's a £20M bid in from Burnley - surely they will snatch their hands off if that is true.

You have mellowed - must be down to living in Ernie Harrison's old place (I used to work for him <cheers>) and the good life down Sarf :emoticon-0168-drink

10. Smug in Boots

He's been gone around 10 years but there are still remnants of him around the place.

The head gardener started here at 16 and has been here nearly 30 years, he has loads of stories about the old man.

The new owner is a great bloke but only visits a few weeks a year so we just look after it by testing the swimming pools and tennis court, etc ;)

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It's a tough life - but someone has to do it.

So when is your next away trip - Ipswich or Brentford?

12. Smug in Boots

Just been saying to Tees, we're away for the whole of September so Brentford is next then Boro, Villa & Burton.

By then Grayson should be getting the whole team to play the way he wants.

RTB likes this.
  13. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Aye, right. <laugh>

14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I'm planning on going to Brentford, QPR & Reading all fairly close by. The last time I was at Griffin Park was the start of our season in the 3rd division <cheers>

15. Smug in Boots

The only match I missed that season, for a reason I can't remember.

If Reading is important I'll be hosting a party and people are welcome to stop over ..... hopefully it'll be a great weekend.

You're always welcome mate, a couple of lads from the board have been and seemed to like it <ok>

Burly Hurley and RTB like this.
  16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Having nailed 3 out of 4 scorelines season to date, get your money on a hard earned 2-1 win for the lads.

Your welcome.

Bexinio, Dorset, Burly Hurley and 2 others like this.
  17. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

That's my prediction too, I fancy Vaughan to get his first goal in this game.

Nads and Smug in Boots like this.
  18. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Whacking on £500 on it.

Gonna sue the **** out of ya if you're wrong though <laugh>

Nads, RTB and Smug in Boots like this.
  19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I just think the belief is there, big crowd against a big club who will bring big numbers with proper support and noise, it's gonna be a bit of a throwback.

We are positive, they will try and win as they are a good side and we showed at Norwich when people come at us it suits us.

I fancy we will be within a few points of each other season end so it's an important one even this early.

Frankly, we should both be decent PL teams and only mismanagement and bullshit owners has us amongst the mutts.

Billy Death and Nacho like this.
  20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

If it wins I want half pal can't have it both ways!

Makemstine Roger likes this.