1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Derby County - Friday 4th Aug - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 3, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Aug 5, 2017.
  1. Home win

38.1%
  2. Away win

21.4%
  3. Draw

33.3%
  4. Who cares...

7.1%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

SAFCvDCFC.GIF
    Sunderland face Derby County on Friday night to kick off the 2017-18 season in the Sky Bet Championship.

Darron Gibson may play despite facing an internal disciplinary process after he was filmed seeming to criticise team-mates. All seven of the club's new arrivals could take part, including goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter who signed on Wednesday.
    Summer signings Tom Huddlestone, Curtis Davies and Andre Wisdom are all expected to start for Derby County. Darren Bent, George Thorne and Jason Shackell are out but striker Matej Vydra is fit.

Simon Grayson:
    "We all want a positive start, but Fulham beat Newcastle first game of last season and Newcastle were promoted. At Preston [his former club] we lost our first six and were around the play-offs at the end of the season.
    "I know what my team is for Friday night, but in a few weeks I don't know. We're vulnerable to players leaving.
    "When you look at Derby, they've spent a huge amount of money over a couple of seasons now and they will be disappointed that they didn't finish anywhere near last season.
    "It's a great opportunity for us to get off to a good start."

Gary Rowett:
    "Our target is promotion. It has to be for a team like Derby County, but we also have to be mindful that there will be a lot of teams in this division whose target is also promotion.
    "We have to work out exactly how we will do that during difficult periods. What do we do every day to give us the best chance of performing every match day? We want promotion but it's how we go about that each day.
    "When you come back in pre-season, your eyes are firmly fixed on that first game.
    "Pre-season can drag on because we are all desperate to kick off and see how we get on. We are really excited and looking forward to the first game."

Match facts
    Sunderland have gone seven games without victory on the opening day of the season, drawing four and losing three.
    Derby have won four and lost none of their last eight league games on the opening weekend of the campaign.
    Gary Rowett is unbeaten in his last four opening day games as a manager (W2 D2).
    The Black Cats are unbeaten in 10 league meetings with the Rams, winning six and drawing four.
    Simon Grayson is looking to become the first Sunderland manager to win his first game in charge since Martin O'Neill in December 2011 - each of the last five have all lost their maiden games.

Last time out Sunderland lost 5-0 at home to Celtic and Derby lost 2-1 at home to Hoffenheim.

Lawro's Prediction: meh
    Merson's Prediction: meh
    Prutton predicts: 1-2

Referee: Oliver Langford
    Assistants: Mark Russell and Steven Meredith
    Fourth official: Stephen Martin

Team Line ups
    Sunderland

Team.gif
    Subs from Steele, Love, O’Shea, Djilobodji, Gibson, Gooch, Honeyman, Asoro
    Doubtful Khazri, Lens, Rodwell
    Injured McNair (knee, Aug), Watmore (knee, Sep), Oviedo (Sep), Maja
    Suspended None

Derby County
    Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Anya, Butterfield, Huddleston, Johnson, Forsyth, Vydra, Martin
    Subs from Nugent, Bryson, Russell, Blackman, Weimann
    Doubtful Vydra, Blackman
    Injured Bent, Thorne (both hamstring), Shackell (Back), Lowe

Betting Odds:
    H 6/4 A 2/1 D 9/4

My two pence:
    I hope that Grayson has realised the size of the job that he has taken on now. It’s not going to be easy but I’m hoping for a scrappy 1-0 home win

Ha'way the lads.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    commachio, Nordic, Nacho and 4 others like this.
  2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I think we might scrape it. And **** do we need a positive start.

I do feel the side is half decent for this level with some bits missing, but we will be ok, if not great.

I'm happy to have football back, frankly. I've spent far too many Saturdays doing **** I don't wanna do.

Smug in Boots and RTB like this.
  3. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

I can see a score draw with either team snatching a point at the end. I know it's the first game and it's a long season but even the scrappiest 1 nil win ever would be amazing for us tomorrow.

RTB likes this.
  4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Ha - I like the name change <cheers>

Paperback Ruiter likes this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I went for a 2-1 on the prediction league but that was based on a good crowd, if it's a poor gate and the support is lacking then we'll probably lose. I'd like to think that there'll be good numbers and it'll be enough to cheer us on and get us over the line for a win.

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Gone Derby win. Please Sunderland surprise me.

7. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Ditto

8. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

I'm feeling surprisingly confident that we will see a much better display from the lads than that shown during the Celtic match.

2 - 0 I predict :emoticon-0178-rock:

9. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Game is televised/streamed in the U.S.!!!

BeIN SPORTS CONNECT

League Championship SUNDERLAND-DERBY COUNTY (live) 2:45 pm.

10. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Kick off at quarter to five in the morning.

No ****ing interest.

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It's a new season, a new manager and a new start .... anyone who chooses not to draw a line under the gloom must enjoy being miserable imo.

Things can change quickly in football and a home win, against a good side, can help to change the attitude of supporters and players alike.

I can't think of anything but a home win because anything else would be a hammer blow.

Derby seem to be placing a lot of faith in Huddlestone, who's a fraud of a player in my book.

Cattermole is the key to this game for me, and a good performance from him could set the tone for the entire season.

These players owe the supporters big time, and they know it. They can avoid a miserable season by getting stuck in and showing determination as a minimum.

Any sign of hiding, slacking or sulking will be well and truly pounced on by the crowd, and I think that the players know that.

I'm going for 3-0 to Sunderland simply because of that.

12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I've gone 1-0 home win, on paper our team looks pretty decent but as we all know you dont play football on paper but I've got everything crossed for a first day win, we bloody need it.

13. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh good in

14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Feels weird starting the season this early and on a Friday. Nice one for continuing the match day threads RTB.

RTB and Dorset like this.
  15. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Good thread RTB. Nice and punchy.

This is winnable with the right attitude and a bit of luck.

RTB likes this.
  16. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

The Celtic game has well and truly knocked the wind out of my sails and I reckon it'll have knocked about 5000 off the attendance.

Drab 0-0 in front of 23,000 tonight.

I'll be in the Cooper Rose Gibsoned pre match

17. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Khazri and Mgeady will be the best players 1-0 to us in a drab encounter but a first home win in 8 months.

18. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I will be there

I will be VERY disappointed if Kone starts. I never want to see that disgrace in a red and white shirt again

19. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Cannot see anything but an away win.

Bart

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Despite last season we can actually put out a decent side if Grayson can organise them.

The first goal will never have been more critical and the midfield really need to chip in with goals this season.

Khazri should fancy his chances tonight and free kicks could play a big part.